Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

i'm actually strongly considering east prov for one of my next moves (probably not the very next one, but the one after that when i decide to buy).

East Prov has some of my favorite restaurants: Sun and Moon Korean, Sax's, Cafe Brazil, several good Portugese restaurants, and soon Spain. There's a couple of New York Systems around there too...

The urban Warren and Tauton Ave areas feel somewhat worn down, but have tons of potential.

Co-workers who live in Riverside and Fumford love it.

- Garris

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East Prov has some of my favorite restaurants: Sun and Moon Korean, Sax's, Cafe Brazil, several good Portugese restaurants, and soon Spain. There's a couple of New York Systems around there too...

The urban Warren and Tauton Ave areas feel somewhat worn down, but have tons of potential.

Co-workers who live in Riverside and Fumford love it.

- Garris

The areas off of Warren and Taunton are far from rundown. If you travel down any of the side streets, you will see well-maintained , almost litter and graffiti free streets. There is a good stock of single family and multi-family homes that are also well-maintained. Some of the commercial buildings could use a facelift...and I think that may give the perception of being run-down. Some of those businesses have been there for decades. My absolute favorite is the Maia Bros. liquor store sign that hasn't been lit in years.

The areas off of Warren and Taunton are far from rundown. If you travel down any of the side streets, you will see well-maintained , almost litter and graffiti free streets. There is a good stock of single family and multi-family homes that are also well-maintained. Some of the commercial buildings could use a facelift...and I think that may give the perception of being run-down.

That's what I mean, actually. I know the residential neighborhoods there are pristine. EP is a shining example of how a "working class" area can exude pride and class in a fashion that seems completely absent in Smith Hill, Federal Hill, and areas of Pawtucket.

I was more referring to the fact that some of the businesses on Warren and Taunton could use some updating.

- Garris

East Prov has some of my favorite restaurants: Sun and Moon Korean, Sax's, Cafe Brazil, several good Portugese restaurants, and soon Spain.

Mrs Stink and I ate at Sun and Moon last night with a buncha medicine interns; it was excellent! Certainly better than our favorite place in New Haven, and almost as good as our favorite Korean place in Oakland.

My only complaint was that the Yook Gae Jang could have been spicier - but that's a quite a typical experience for me at any asian resturant. No one ever believes this silly white guy really means it when he says he wants it very spicy. Oh well...

My only complaint was that the Yook Gae Jang could have been spicier - but that's a quite a typical experience for me at any asian resturant. No one ever believes this silly white guy really means it when he says he wants it very spicy. Oh well...

Glad you enjoyed Sun and Moon. It's certainly one of my favorites.

If you want really spicy, though, try the nearly invisible Korean restaurant on Benefit St, of all places. It's in the former Solomon's market, and they've kept the Solomon's name (thus even making them yet more stealth than they already were). Outstanding Korean food as well, and some of the spiciest I've had anywhere. I usually need to convince Asian restaurants to pour on the spice as well, but Solomon's dish was pushing my limits of tolerance.

If you like spicy, Iron Wok in Seekonk will pour on as much heat as you can stand in your Chinese dishes as well.

- Garris

I just moved from exactly that location. Broadway is pretty OK, with a lot of really impressive huge victorian architecture. Also, you will be in walking distance to Nick's, the greatest breakfast place I know. As for that area of Federal Hill, I suppose it really depends on what is most important to you about your neighborhood. I generally did feel safe on Courtland St., if safety is your biggest issue. What do you want to know about, specifically?

I just moved from exactly that location. Broadway is pretty OK, with a lot of really impressive huge victorian architecture. Also, you will be in walking distance to Nick's, the greatest breakfast place I know. As for that area of Federal Hill, I suppose it really depends on what is most important to you about your neighborhood. I generally did feel safe on Courtland St., if safety is your biggest issue. What do you want to know about, specifically?

Yes, safety was what I was generally asking about, walking my dog and what not. Feel free to add any tips on good pubs with good food and stuff. I know the Decatur is not to far away.

Edited by Mister Shhh

DONT BE A SUCKA.....FORGET THE EAST SIDE HYPE!!!/b]

People from Boston (and elsewhere) LISTEN TO ME!

the first thing to understand is that Providence is NOT JUST THE EASTSIDE, the overpriced, underwhelming, ethnicaly sterile neighborhood around Brown University

(and I lived there for years, first in the 1970s, then for 2 yrs recently)

Thats where all the real estate people will stear you, and maybe next to the West Side (getting pricey, crowded, no services and tiny yards ...if you care) BECAUSE YOU DONT KNOW ANY BETTER AND THEY WANT TO KEEP THE BUBBLE GOING!

The Eastside is way way way overpriced and, by the way, NOT SAFE because there are many transients due to the colleges and assorted hangers on, and the juxtaposition of the very wealthy and enclaves of the rather poor a block from each other.

The fact is that in Providence there are great affordable, safe middle class and yes ...... COOL neighborhood those of you who might be teachers, artist, musicians, writers and others who make less than $200K/yr would LOVE.

The first line real estate people they'll sic on you will NEVER take you to Reservoir, Upper Mt Pleasant, Elmhurst, Trygg etc because Providence is ludicrously ethno-class-conscious. These places are historically considered "white working class" or (the better parts) "Italian/Irish professional".

In other words, not were "PEOPLE LIKE US" live

The sad fact is that societal values in Prov are still set by the tiny cliche of Old Yankees on the Eastside or their syncophnts - (1) academics and pseudo-academics of all stripes and (2) the Jewish Merchant/Professional Class that got "permisson" to move over from the Southside only a generation or 2 ago (after the Yankees historically kept them out).

AND even many of those who dont fit into those categories are nevertheless obsessed with trying to follow their imperiatives and conceits.

FORGET ALL THAT BULLcrap!

How does nice Victorians, Bungalos and Capes between 40 and 80 years old on quiet leafy streets, 12 minutes (by local street) from downtown, walking distance to a public golf course, right next to a college campus with athletic facilities and cultural events, huge public parks sound? And home prices between $245,000 to 325,000 ??

Thats' right, I bought mine last year. The best part of Mt Pleasant/Elmhurst is not around Providence College (which has some student housing horror stories and some low-income projects). Rather its just southwest of that, near RI College, Mt Pleasant High School and Roger Williams Hospital. The part I like best is between Chalkstone Ave and Smth Streets from River Ave to Mt Pleasant Ave ......never heard of it right???

EXACTLY!!!!

Check it out. And by the way its not white woking class anymore but ethnically mixed professionals and nice regular people.

There is no question that eating and shopping options are more limited than the Eastside - YES but Providence is TINY peope! In minutes I can I zap over there to go to Whole Foods or Sushi Express on Thayer and jump back (or 6 minutes away to the culinary heaven of Atwells Ave) but that's hardly a hassle when I remember that I kept about $100-150,000 in my angel love pocket by buying where I did.

Please do your research, Providence is a VERY affordabale city in the Northeast.

Method: Use realtor.com not Riliving and search by zip code 02908

p.s.: if you've got kids its a "wash", the whole public school system is challenged no matter where in the City you live. But in my neighborhood but there actually are couple decent public and privates (Kennedy, Bishop, Paul Cuffee, Henry Barnard, LaSalle and a couple Catholic primaries)....wait a minute that more than the Eastside!

Imagine...

Edited by Cotuit

that's all great if you're not looking for a walkable community or true urban living. i do live in elmhurst west of river ave... as soon as my fiancee finishes grad school, i'm moving elsewhere (probably to the east side or armory) because i want more in my neighborhood than just a college down the street. i love my neighborhood, it's quiet, it's peaceful, and it's extremely safe. but that's because the population density isn't as high as the east side. there isn't as much going on around here as on the east side. people don't come here to hang out and have things to do right off their doorstep. in order for me to get anywhere of value, i either need to walk a really long distance (over 2 miles) or drive or take the bus. unless i want to go to a handful of college bars. it's also populated by families or elderly. there is not a large population of young professionals around here.

so yes, if you want semi-suburban living while having a providence address, that part of teh city is perfect. if you want to raise your kids in the city, it's perfect. but if you want a real urban neighborhood and a walkable community, you're better off living elsewhere.

the east side is expensive because it's highly sought after. that's because there's a lot to do and a lot going on. the reason elmhurst and mount pleasant are so cheap is because there's nothing here.

I've been using Realtor.com a lot lately just to browse, and I'm continually amazed at how affordable a lot of houses and condos are in and around Providence. North Providence has condos starting at 70k! And I found a small cottage house near PC for under 120k. Not to mention the countless number of condos in Providence under 140k. I even found one on Angell Street for 139k.