Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

I think the only point Dev was making was that if you want to buy in Providence, there are nice homes and condos at affordable prices in Elmhurst and Upper Mt. Pleasant with a quality of life that rivals the East Side.

Lower Mount Pleasant is much more urban in nature, with a good mix of 2 and 3 deckers and singles. My house sits 3 feet back from the street and 4 feet from the house next door, which is urban to me. I also have a garage and a small deck and back yard, which sets my place apart from a single family home in say, Federal Hill or Smith Hill, where you're lucky to have your own off-street parking space. My friends from Warwick affectionately refer to my block as "the hood" but the relative quiet at night makes it feel less like the city. [That, and the neighborhood they live in has 3 or 4 different styles of homes and no trees.] And as I've mentioned before, you can have all this for less than 150k.

Having said that, I think I would enjoy living in the Armory or maybe Smith Hill a few years down the road, just to be within walking distance to Downcity. But right now, everything I need I can get within a 10 minute walk, and I like the neighborhood for what it is. The tree-lined streets, the athletic facilities at the high school, the access to public transportation, the quality private schools... all good reasons to check it out.

I think the better way to figure out what you want is to research and tour each neighborhood for yourself... not to ask a realtor to show you a few places where someone like you would "fit in."

So don't be a menace to Mt. Pleasant while spitting your rants on UP-Providence! ;)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Chicagoan, I will give him the street sign issue. I have an absolutely lousy sense of direction but learned long ago that one comes upon the most interesting things as one circumambulates. So, calm down and leave in plenty of time.

The grid system. Yeah, well, there were a lot of factors that allowed that: 1.) It. Burnt. Down. All of it. A Great Cosmic Do Over. 2.) The Columbian Exposition and 3.) Chicago's innate uppity inferiority complex.

The Providence Journal: Not great, but neither is the Trib. In fact, there are really only a handful of good papers anymore, and they're all online: I've been known to skim Herald Tribune, NYT, London Times, Washington Post plus a selection of the tabs because I'm shallow. :thumbsup:

You just can't compare places like that. Or bend them to your will.

But what do I know? In 5 weeks I'll be one of them Vanilla east siders, living off Hope :unsure:

Meg

Oh boo, the Journal isn't the Trib! Providence isn't Chicago. Of course the Journal should have local issues on the front page, it's a local paper. If you're looking for in depth national reporting, get the Globe or NYT. And as Meg said, the Trib is online, who reads print papers?

As for the signs, no argument from me there.

But if the Trib and street signs are all they're missing, what does that say about Chicago? :whistling:

In my neighborhood, I've noticed a lot more street signs have been replaced which is encouraging. However, we all know the challenge of navigating the city due to poor signage, and many corners still do not have street signs at all. The Traffic Engineering Department should be contacted at 781-4044 for street sign replacement. They do eventually replace them. However, be patient. In my experience, it usually doesn't happen for a month or two.

Do you think we'll need an air conditioner in September? I'm debating whether to have one sent. Our apartment is on the 3rd (top) floor which is worrying if there's a sudden heat wave. :blink:

Thanks

Meg

you may want one... i don't take mine out until the beginning of october. i might not use it that long, but there's always the chance for a heat wave... the hottest months here tend to be july and august, but september can go either way. being on the third floor, i'd recommend it (i'm on the second floor, which is also the top floor of my house).

you may want one... i don't take mine out until the beginning of october. i might not use it that long, but there's always the chance for a heat wave... the hottest months here tend to be july and august, but september can go either way. being on the third floor, i'd recommend it (i'm on the second floor, which is also the top floor of my house).

Ditto..........but I would leave it in untill the end of October since we get Indian Summer in the middle of the month. I think this global warming thing is the real deal since we didn't get Spring around here for the past two years. :shok: The last 12 months have been the warmest ever for the entire planet.

The last 12 months have been the warmest ever for the entire planet.

er, the warmest since the records hvae been kept, which is only about 150 years.

Some scientists believe that the planet is the warmest it has been in 400 years or so.

Even still, when you consider that homo sapiens have been on the planet for about

250,000 years, that's a relatively small portion of time, and much of the Paleozoic and

Mesozoic eras featured earth temperatures much higher than what we see today.

Point being that I laugh when people say humans are killing the Earth. the Earth has

been reinventing itself for about 4 billion years. It may become a bad place for homo

sapiens, but it will go on.

Edited by brick

Do you think we'll need an air conditioner in September? I'm debating whether to have one sent. Our apartment is on the 3rd (top) floor which is worrying if there's a sudden heat wave. :blink:

Coming from Arizona, you're worried about the heat in RI? :lol:

I think the only point Dev was making was that if you want to buy in Providence, there are nice homes and condos at affordable prices in Elmhurst and Upper Mt. Pleasant with a quality of life that rivals the East Side.

Lower Mount Pleasant is much more urban in nature, with a good mix of 2 and 3 deckers and singles. My house sits 3 feet back from the street and 4 feet from the house next door, which is urban to me. I also have a garage and a small deck and back yard, which sets my place apart from a single family home in say, Federal Hill or Smith Hill, where you're lucky to have your own off-street parking space. My friends from Warwick affectionately refer to my block as "the hood" but the relative quiet at night makes it feel less like the city. [That, and the neighborhood they live in has 3 or 4 different styles of homes and no trees.] And as I've mentioned before, you can have all this for less than 150k.

Having said that, I think I would enjoy living in the Armory or maybe Smith Hill a few years down the road, just to be within walking distance to Downcity. But right now, everything I need I can get within a 10 minute walk, and I like the neighborhood for what it is. The tree-lined streets, the athletic facilities at the high school, the access to public transportation, the quality private schools... all good reasons to check it out.

I think the better way to figure out what you want is to research and tour each neighborhood for yourself... not to ask a realtor to show you a few places where someone like you would "fit in."

So don't be a menace to Mt. Pleasant while spitting your rants on UP-Providence! ;)

Thats IT! You got it

thanks for the sane response

Not now it isnt. It is humid in Phoenix this time of year. its what causes monsoon season there. Had a decent one tuesday night while I was there.

So imagine 118 degrees AND humidity.

i'd wanna be shot if i was stuck in that... although i assume most houses have central air like in texas. i was in houston and it was like 110 and very humid (and i was an idiot and volunteered to help my former girlfriend's grandfather clean off his roof from a storm that had passed the day before).

i'd wanna be shot if i was stuck in that... although i assume most houses have central air like in texas. i was in houston and it was like 110 and very humid (and i was an idiot and volunteered to help my former girlfriend's grandfather clean off his roof from a storm that had passed the day before).

Yep almost all do. Even the shacks I have seen either have central A/C or big window units. They have air conditioning down to a science.

Guy I was on the plane with worked for an auto company going down to test automobile units. He said that is the only place they go lately since it is both blazing and muggy.

Luckily, I went from air conditioned hotel, to car, to office. Not too bad. The "coldest" it got was at like 4am when it got down to 92. Makes me love RI weather.

Edited by basachs

Well Im not thinking about moving to Providence, but I am visiting :) Im headed up to Manhattan to visit with the relatives up there, and we're driving to Providence to see the waterfire, very exciting :D So, I thought Id stop by and ask about what else is good to do in Providence. I thought it would be more fun to ask residents of Providence rather than going to some tourist site. We'll be spending two days there, so the more we can do, the better! Thanks all, I look forward to stopping by :)

Well Im not thinking about moving to Providence, but I am visiting :) Im headed up to Manhattan to visit with the relatives up there, and we're driving to Providence to see the waterfire, very exciting :D So, I thought Id stop by and ask about what else is good to do in Providence. I thought it would be more fun to ask residents of Providence rather than going to some tourist site. We'll be spending two days there, so the more we can do, the better! Thanks all, I look forward to stopping by :)

what weekend you gonna be here? i assume it's next weekend (when there's a waterfire, not this weekend).

you should do as much walking around downtown as possible for waterfire (like do the entire riverwalk that night because it's just great). someone once posted a great weekend trip for providence, including where to eat and everything. it had times of when to do stuff and all. check through this thread and i'll see if i can find it (unless the person who posted it or asked for the suggestions knows where it is).

what weekend you gonna be here? i assume it's next weekend (when there's a waterfire, not this weekend).

you should do as much walking around downtown as possible for waterfire (like do the entire riverwalk that night because it's just great). someone once posted a great weekend trip for providence, including where to eat and everything. it had times of when to do stuff and all. check through this thread and i'll see if i can find it (unless the person who posted it or asked for the suggestions knows where it is).

I think Ill be there weekend after next or maybe even the one after that. Im unsure of the waterfire event dates. Ive heard so much about it down here, Im coming all the way from Richmond, Virginia to see it. Im sure it will be worth it :D

I think Ill be there weekend after next or maybe even the one after that. Im unsure of the waterfire event dates. Ive heard so much about it down here, Im coming all the way from Richmond, Virginia to see it. Im sure it will be worth it :D

you should check www.waterfire.org for the schedule. i believe there's one on the 12th.

Don't forget to take in and walk Benefit St. It's one of the oldest streets in America that retained the whole of its' Colonial infrastructure. The walk is beautiful (about 1 mile), and there is plenty of 18th and 19th century archectiture to behold. A must see if you're here.

Come for the food and waterfire. Stay for the corruption trials. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list of Boston refugees invading Providence. I spent all weekend there (again!). The nightlife is incredible, it's more like Montreal or New York than stiff, boring old Boston. I am (hopefully!) purchasing a three decker on Broadway, Federal Hill, assuming the P&S goes through. For what I'm paying, I'd get a burned out three decker in Mattapan (no kidding, that's how ridiculous Boston real estate prices are). I did all my research, and I think Federal Hill will be the new South End in 3-5 years. All the gay bois are moving there. I missed the boat in 1990 when I could have bought a 2 bdrm condo on West Springfield (it just went for 800k). Word to the wise: Providence is a solid investment, and I'm sure that while I'm waiting for the real estate prices to blow through the roof, I'll have a marvelous time exploring every niche of the beautiful new city I am now calling 'home'.