Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Aren't you going to have to drive through Providence everyday to get to work? You'll kill yourself or someone else within a month.

I can take the 3 bus and then the GATRA Providence-Taunton bus. That's my backup plan. Of course, that would cost me $7.00 per day whereas driving would cost me roughly 4.50 in gas, so I'll be driving. I can go right up Allens Ave to 195 to 44 though, so it wont be too bad after they reopen the Taunton Ave exit.

Atleast we only work 4 days per week...

I might be moving to Pawtuxet Village :ph34r: I found really cheap rent where I will actually be able to save money for my condo purchase next year.... Think I'll be able to survive on the city's edge nearing suburbia??

i like pawtuxet village. i'd live there. but i wouldn't want to have to drive thru providence twice a day. *shudder*

I like Pawtuxet Village (my photos of it here).

Traffic might not be bad at all depending upon what time you go into work. It's also a great place for Kayakers to live. I know several hard core paddlers who live in Pawtuxet Village for just that reason.

Atleast we only work 4 days per week...

:shok:

I like Pawtuxet Village (my photos of it here).

Traffic might not be bad at all depending upon what time you go into work. It's also a great place for Kayakers to live. I know several hard core paddlers who live in Pawtuxet Village for just that reason.

:shok:

Yeah I work 6:30-4:30 mon-thurs so my AM commute will be a breeze and my PM will only be a mess getting from 195 to 95, which isnt too bad once you're over the bridge.

For the price that my rent will be, I'll deal with the traffic! Oh and I do love kayaking, and Dear Hearts Ice Cream...

Ahhh! I'm soon to be a Warwick resident again... Can we get the Cranston line extended south 500 feet, then I can say I live in Cranston and consider myself an Edgewood resident?

I'm actually kind of excited to live in Pawtuxet though. RIDOT just did a whole traffic calming project through it so its the epitomy of walkable now, and I'll be right on the water and just 5 short miles from downtown.

Ahhh! I'm soon to be a Warwick resident again... Can we get the Cranston line extended south 500 feet, then I can say I live in Cranston and consider myself an Edgewood resident?

I'm actually kind of excited to live in Pawtuxet though. RIDOT just did a whole traffic calming project through it so its the epitomy of walkable now, and I'll be right on the water and just 5 short miles from downtown.

My old man lives over there. It's nice and now, as you said, pretty walkable. There's a great coffee shop over there (I forget the name of it - the owner's name is Eli and Eli's is what I've always called it). Plus, the No. 1 bus goes right through there and gets you downtown in 15 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

My last night in Pvd is less than 2 weeks away. You would think by this posting that I was moving to Dubai, but in RI, over the bridge is just as far. I found a great place within walking distance of my job, the gym, and shopping. There is a park with a nature trail across the street and the area is quiet and beautiful. I'm moving to EP. Although less than 5 miles to DT Providence, it feels like a world away. Although it's not as "urban" and dense as central Pvd, oddly enough, it's more accessible and more equipped with services than my old place...and I lived on the fringe of downtown. There are 2 supermarkets,a hardware store, a full pharmacy, the gym, my job, Subway, and a host of other places within walking distance that will make it way more attractive than any place I've ever lived in the center city. Maybe it's a Ri thing...but I'm sort of sad in a way...like I'm leaving my homeland...like a refugee. I'll get over it. Ultimately, this is positive and a typical RI native reaction is to look at the glass half-empty.

My last night in Pvd is less than 2 weeks away. You would think by this posting that I was moving to Dubai, but in RI, over the bridge is just as far. I found a great place within walking distance of my job, the gym, and shopping. There is a park with a nature trail across the street and the area is quiet and beautiful. I'm moving to EP. Although less than 5 miles to DT Providence, it feels like a world away. Although it's not as "urban" and dense as central Pvd, oddly enough, it's more accessible and more equipped with services than my old place...and I lived on the fringe of downtown. There are 2 supermarkets,a hardware store, a full pharmacy, the gym, my job, Subway, and a host of other places within walking distance that will make it way more attractive than any place I've ever lived in the center city. Maybe it's a Ri thing...but I'm sort of sad in a way...like I'm leaving my homeland...like a refugee. I'll get over it. Ultimately, this is positive and a typical RI native reaction is to look at the glass half-empty.

Although it's not as "urban" and dense as central Pvd, oddly enough, it's more accessible and more equipped with services than my old place...and I lived on the fringe of downtown. There are 2 supermarkets,a hardware store, a full pharmacy, the gym, my job, Subway, and a host of other places within walking distance that will make it way more attractive than any place I've ever lived in the center city.

Yup... I maintain this is the biggest problem with most Providence neighborhoods right now, including downtown... There're currently "teases." They're not full service neighborhoods. Look at the things you listed:

- Supermarkets

- Gym

- Hardware Store

- Full svc pharmacy

- Dining

What neighborhood in Providence has all of these within easy walking distance? Wayland Sq, in my opinion, is the most full featured, but not even it has a hardware store (yet). I'm shocked that some small suburban downtowns are nearly as full featured or more so than Providence's neighborhoods (both Pawtuxet Village and Wickford Village actually offer more walkable services than many of our vaunted main streets).

Pretty sad, and this was barely mentioned during the Providence Tomorrow charrettes...

- Garris

Summit/Mt. Hope/Oak Hill comes close. There are some (very virtuous) people who walk to Whole Foods. There's the Y on Hope St., the library, full-service CVS and East Side Pharmacy, auto mechanic, bakery, restaurants, banks, barber shops, etc. Sadly, though no hardware store since Rocky's Ace Hardware in Oak Hill left.
Edited by Garris

Summit/Mt. Hope/Oak Hill comes close. There are some (very virtuous) people who walk to Whole Foods. There's the Y on Hope St., the library, full-service CVS and East Side Pharmacy, auto mechanic, bakery, restaurants, banks, barber shops, etc. Sadly, though no hardware store since Rocky's Ace Hardware in Oak Hill left.

Where do you go for hardware? One day, Meg and I went around and found one in Pawtucket that was closing, and another one that wasn't there anymore, etc. We ended up at a True Value way down by I-195. Where's the nearest hardware to here (Mt. Hope)?

Urb

Edited by brick