Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This place is literally on the Seekonk border so some of the retail is in EP and some is in Seekonk. I don't really care as long as it's convenient and will get me out walking more. I'm surprised that nobody brought that up at the Providence Tomorrow meetings. That has always been one of my biggest gripes about living in Pvd. If you're going to live in the city, it's got to be convenient. With all the other problems that Pvd faces along with countless other urban areas, there has to be an incentive to stay in the city.I can't count how many times I've had to force myself to go out and walk to destinations unknown just to get a little exercise.

There are no banks, no pharmacies, no markets, and limited sit down places on Smith Hill. Sure there's a DD and a new Tim Horton's and Olneyville NY system and a host of unkempt Asian places with more health code violations than rice ...but nothing to really make it a neighborhood. I've had countless issues with neighbors, vandalism, anonymous tree-cutters and theft. At some point, it just becomes too much. If it were really worth staying here, I would continue to fight. Also, I can't count how many times people say to me, " Jerry, how convenient! You can walk right to the mall." Now I know there are a couple banks and a pharmacy in the mall...and yes...I could walk to the mall very easily. But realistically, who wants to go to a mall to p/u a prescription or buy a card? If you've seen one mall, you've seen them all. People get off the highway, park, and get right back on. I do think that the mall has overall been a positive step for the city, but I don't think it's helped any of its surrounding neighborhoods. (including Downcity) Hopefully, that will change.

The majority of neighborhoods in Providence are subpar with what one would expect with the urban lifestyle. There are a few exceptions like Hope St., Wayland Square, and a few slivers of certain neighborhoods, but overall it's below average. I find it ironic that in so many cases, people vent their frustrations on police sirens but are perfectly content with another medical office opening in prime retail spots because they pay rent. It's almost astonishing. When looking at places, I completely skipped everything listed for Providence. I, at first, entertained the notion of going to an area that I've never lived like the Armory, Broadway, and even Washington Park. After driving down some of the streets and looking at some really beautiful homes, I said to myself, " Are you crazy?" There is nothing here. Yes, it's a nice neighborhood with beautiful homes in one of the densest cities in the country, but there is nothing here. It's not walkable. There are almost no neighborhood services. I'll be using my car even moreso than when I lived on Smith Hill. This is a big issue and it's one that Pvd should address if it is to grow. People that don't like public schoolchildren, police sirens, traffic, and every other thing associated with cities will eventually move on to their sliver of sunshine in suburbia. There are many people that would love to live in the city if it were beneficial to them in one way or another, myself included. Whether that 1 beneficial thing was more job opportunities, mass transit, or convenient walkable shopping destinations...it doesn't matter.

Also, I can't count how many times people say to me, " Jerry, how convenient! You can walk right to the mall." Now I know there are a couple banks and a pharmacy in the mall...and yes...I could walk to the mall very easily. But realistically, who wants to go to a mall to p/u a prescription or buy a card?

What Jerry says is true of many Providence neighborhoods lacking basic amenities unless you count Duncan Donuts and McDonalds are amenities. But then look at Broad Street in South Providence. It's totally packed with every kind of retail business --including markets -- that cater to the community. I wonder how come this isn't also the case along other Providence commercial strips like Smith, Branch, etc.

Downtown East Greenwich lacks a grocery store since the Almacs closed years ago. Wickford has a local market (Ryan's) that has pretty much everything, as well as a full Dave's on the fringes. I'm actually quite pleased with Pawtuxet's selection as well, there's a local pharmacy, a small local market, dry cleaners, and of course bars.

Funny that Jerry brought up East Providence on the Seekonk line. When I first got a job in Taunton, I almost moved to a suburban-like apartment complex right on 114A. When it came down to it, I would've had everything I needed within walking distance, despite having to transverse large parking lots to get to most places. In the end though, when it comes down to being automobile independent, where would it be better to live, a place like Smith Hill or Pawtucket, where you're in an urban setting but you lack practical retail nearby, or a place like this in East Providence (or Barrington), where the setting is suburban but you technically can walk to everything you need?

My plan is to build an independent movie theater on one of those poorly thought out parking lots that pockmark Main Street. Jen, let's discuss HEDS licensing... If the cinema falls through, I'm going for brewpub on the waterfront, down the hill. Would you Providencers take the #12 bus for some good beer?

My plan is to build an independent movie theater on one of those poorly thought out parking lots that pockmark Main Street. Jen, let's discuss HEDS licensing... If the cinema falls through, I'm going for brewpub on the waterfront, down the hill. Would you Providencers take the #12 bus for some good beer?

We did it only on the feeling the water level and decided that the water was too cold, due to start-up costs. It is hard to acquire real estate down there because of the drydocks and the demand for surface parking. If you could manage, the space in the center of this map would be a great spot. Good luck!

I think your thermometer was spot-on. The waterfront has a lot of issues. The area would definitely benefit from a garage to serve the restaurants/harborside to free up all those wasteful lots, but clearly that's never going to happen. The town does recognize that there's a diamond in the rough down there, but I don't think there's much that can realistically go on down there.

Do/did you live in the area?

I often walk from the Armory District along Valley- proof that is literally walkable but probably not what you're asking :-)

Olneyville Square has it urban charms and some good food if you do some exploring, nice hardware store, easy to get to the supermarket in the other direction.

Having said that, I don't feel comfortable walking alone after dark, but I don't think you can do that anywhere in a city.

I think you'd get a very different impression of the city than if you lived on the East Side. When we moved to Providence I was turned off by the high-priced student-squalor rentals right on College Hill but ended up renting for a year in a beautiful place in a charming area north of Wayland Square on the East Side. We might still live there if we could afford it!

However I think these new mill developments are very appealing to people just moving to the city for a lot of reasons and I'd probably want to live in one if we were to move here now. Looking for apartments was difficult, mostly because a lot of single-property landlords frankly are quite creepy! There's a lot to be said for a place with on-site management and a degree of professionalism, especially when you don't know the city.

The mills are quite attractive, but all seem to be in the wrong place. The lofts downtown are cool. Both are pricy and I feel for the same money I could get a larger place on the east side probably with a small yard. With a dog that's a big bonus. I also like the proximity to bars and restaurants even if not to hardware stores and such.

I tend to disagree, with most cities I've lived in. Although you always need to be cautious, I have no problem walking around downtown philly at night. There is a palpable police presence and always foot traffic. Safety in numbers. Is providence not like that?

Edited by edgarmousha

I tend to disagree, with most cities I've lived in. Although you always need to be cautious, I have no problem walking around downtown philly at night. There is a palpable police presence and always foot traffic. Safety in numbers. Is providence not like that?

The mills are quite attractive, but all seem to be in the wrong place. The lofts downtown are cool. Both are pricy and I feel for the same money I could get a larger place on the east side probably with a small yard. With a dog that's a big bonus. I also like the proximity to bars and restaurants even if not to hardware stores and such.

edgar-

after reading some of your other posts in the 903 thread, it's sounding like you're in the same situation i was in when i first moved here (although i came from CT, i worked during the week and only had weekends to figure out where i wanted to live). i'd go along with some of hte other suggestions about renting until you find an area that you really like and want to be in for a while. i'd also not completely rule out elmhurst or anywhere west of 95 just because it's not the east side and not downtown. you're still in the city and you still have walkable amenities. many of these areas are growing and gaining new services. and a lot of them will give you more space for your money, meaning more room for your dog. you also have a better chance of having a yard (many of the places in the fox point and college hill areas have paved over back yards or dirt back yards for parking).

i live about a mile, maybe even less, from roger williams hospital. there's plenty of walkable areas around there. i suggest looking at the chalkstone area west of the hospital. you may have and probably will hear some bad things about it, but it's a fairly walkable area with restaurants and markets and stuff. it also has a walgreen's pharmacy.