Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

Thanks for all the great advice..I was going to look at imperial place as well as the Riverside condos in Pawtucket thuraday, but with the cold weather forecast I'm going to put it off till two weeks from now. The riverside condos do look fabulous, and have a great tax incentive. THe only downside would be the lack of city that both of us have come to appreciate about NYC...She could easily drive to S attleboro and take the train as well....I'll let everyone know what I think about the condos once I see them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Gold line starts running from the JD at 0545 - you could get to Providence Station just after 0600 and catch the 0607 MBTA train and be in Boston South Station at 0719. The Trolley runs every 20 minutes and there are trains from PVD at 0633 (0745), 0712 (0816), 0740 (0849), and 0810 (0923) depending on when she needs to be up there...

Oh man, I can't remember the name, but I stopped in a good coffee place around the corner and a block or two from Barnsider's - anyone know the place?? couches and chairs, right on South Main Street.

Pastiche (spelling) is always good too!

I moved to Valley Street from Boston a little less than a year ago, and just bought on Westminster Street (signed the P&S yesterday).. here is the MLS listing:

http://www.riliving.com/License/cnddetails...photopath=space

I work in Norwood, so my commute from either Providence or Boston is about the same. The difference is I can still (barely) afford Providence. Boston - not so much.

I did look at Brockton, but was not in the "pioneering" mood... those were my Lowell days...

So, to answer your question: From Olneyville (Valley) to Armory.

I like that building a lot... I used to work in the Jewelry District at 150 Chestnut St, and I would go to Jerry's art supply store in the Imp. Place complex. I've also eaten at CAV a number of times and really enjoyed it. I really don't see this location as such a "dead" area as people here have mentioned. I mean sure, it isn't immediately abutting a multitude of stores and restaurants, lights, crowds, etc... But I think almost anywhere in the JD is a great location because you can walk easily to downtown.
Edited by ruchele

• 5 weeks later...

To change the subject somewhat. I'm considering renting at the Pearl St. Lofts, although it certainly seems like there is no "neighborhoody" feel. Am I right about this feeling? It seems sort of close to downtown but also a bit isolated and surrounded by schools and whatnot. Also, what neighborhood is it a part of anyway? Upper south providence, Lower west side (east), West side? I don't quite get it. Is downtown actually that close and walkable or is it overly sketchy? Thanks for your input.

To change the subject somewhat. I'm considering renting at the Pearl St. Lofts, although it certainly seems like there is no "neighborhoody" feel. Am I right about this feeling? It seems sort of close to downtown but also a bit isolated and surrounded by schools and whatnot. Also, what neighborhood is it a part of anyway? Upper south providence, Lower west side (east), West side? I don't quite get it. Is downtown actually that close and walkable or is it overly sketchy? Thanks for your input.

I actually have checked out the property twice. Once months ago and then again this weekend. The property has been renovated superbly. The apartments are spacious and have all the amenities plus loads of character. True they are pricy but I've been to most of the new mill renovations (Puente/Plant, Calender Mills, Promenade, Pearl, Royal Mills and even the unfinished Hope Artiste Village) and the finishes are really the best I've seen at Pearl. It's true the neighborhood is kind of sparse but I have a car. There is 24/7 camera surveillance of the property. I got the feeling that the neighborhood was safe enough for a city. Coming from philly, "murder capital of the east coast" I probably don't scare easily enough.

By the way, how is the cab system in Providence?

I'm really spoiled by the cabbies in philly, not the friendliest lot but always plenty around and great for getting home from a pub.

I actually have checked out the property twice. Once months ago and then again this weekend. The property has been renovated superbly. The apartments are spacious and have all the amenities plus loads of character. True they are pricy but I've been to most of the new mill renovations (Puente/Plant, Calender Mills, Promenade, Pearl, Royal Mills and even the unfinished Hope Artiste Village) and the finishes are really the best I've seen at Pearl. It's true the neighborhood is kind of sparse but I have a car. There is 24/7 camera surveillance of the property. I got the feeling that the neighborhood was safe enough for a city. Coming from philly, "murder capital of the east coast" I probably don't scare easily enough.

By the way, how is the cab system in Providence?

I'm really spoiled by the cabbies in philly, not the friendliest lot but always plenty around and great for getting home from a pub.

I walk everywhere, or sometimes take a bus, or guilt people into giving me rides. But I'm a bit weird, most people drive.

I've never actually called a cab that I can remember, but they are pretty easy to get Downtown outside the Westin or the Biltmore. I've heard of people hailing cabs, but they don't do much cruising around looking for fares. They are usually sent out by dispatch or are sitting places like the hotels.

I've never actually called a cab that I can remember, but they are pretty easy to get Downtown outside the Westin or the Biltmore. I've heard of people hailing cabs, but they don't do much cruising around looking for fares.
Edited by Garris

This has been a pleasant surprise about Providence in my view. Cabs are fairly accessable here. They're all over downtown at KP, the hotels, the train station, etc, and when my sister has called cabs on occasion, she's never waited more than a few minutes.

This is vastly different from my experience living in New Haven or even in Manhattan, when calling cabs for a certain reason was something you needed to do several hours in advance to make sure you'd get one for the time you wanted. Not so here.

My sister has never waited more than 10 minutes after calling I think!

- Garris

it can be hit or miss in philly, if it's a big night. like if there is something big going on at the convention center or whatever. usually there is one company that comes when you call them, liberty co. i've had good luck with them.

where are all the cool places to hang out in providence. prob already covered elsewhere but if you could direct me. what is the prov geeks thing all about?