Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had the pleasure of spending the past two weeks traveling on business in two major urban centers in America, Atlanta and Philadelphia. Spending a week in each city was a jolt of reality. I haven't lived in the Philly area for almost 20 years now so I guess I forgot just how violent that city really is. Both it and Atlanta boasted several shootings PER DAY on the news. I don't know what the exact numbers are, but from my persepctive both cities have a much higher violent crime per capita rate than Providence. At one point I laughed at myself when I realized that my biggest crime worry as a resident of Downtown Providence was graffiti. Graffiti? It kind of put things in perspective for me.

Edited by KRC

I just had the pleasure of spending the past two weeks traveling on business in two major urban centers in America, Atlanta and Philadelphia. Spending a week in each city was a jolt of reality. I haven't lived in the Philly area for almost 20 years now so I guess I forgot just how violent that city really is. Both it and Atlanta bosted several shootings PER DAY on the news. I don't know what the exact numbers are, but from my persepctive both cities have a much higher violent crime per capita rate than Providence. At one point I laughed at myself when I realized that my biggest crime worry as a resident of Downtown Providence was graffiti. Graffiti? It kind of put things in perspective for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I hope this is the proper thread for this.

I am sick of condo hunting in this mess of a market, so I am thinking of renting for a year. Nothing fancy, but neighborhood is important, so I am kinda hung up on Wayland Square. Bilodeau Property Management seems to have lots of buildings there, does anyone have any experience with them?

I am sick of condo hunting in this mess of a market, so I am thinking of renting for a year. Nothing fancy, but neighborhood is important, so I am kinda hung up on Wayland Square. Bilodeau Property Management seems to have lots of buildings there, does anyone have any experience with them?

Out of curiosity, what is troubling you in the condo market? Prices right now actually are at or less than they were 4-5 years ago. There's tons of selection around Wayland Sq (I'm about to sell my own condo there soon, so I've noted this fact with some disappointment).

My fiancee has been renting around Wayland Sq (a unit in her building is about to go on the rental market actually) and from what I've seen of both markets, you can do much better financially and get more back by buying a condo than renting right now.

- Garris

I am an attorney and my firm does quite a bit of commercial real estate financing, etc., which gives me the opportunity to monitor the market, and I'll likely be better off to rent for the year and buy later, given my calculations and experience in the market. Still haven't ruled out buying another place here, I continue to look for condos.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a question about Exise Taxes. (Not sure if this is the correct forum, so I apologize if it is).

Here's the rundown of what's happened to us:

- We received no exise tax bills for 2006 and 2007.

- In March of 2008, we received a bill with a late fee for the 2007 year.

- I called and left messages at the collection office multiple times. No reply.

- We paid the taxes for all of 2007, minus the late fee with a letter explaining that we never recieved a prior bill.

- In August of 2008, we received a bill for 2008 Q1 taxes with an amount past due for 2007.

- In August of 2008, we received a bill from a collection agency for 2006 taxes.

I am beside myself about this and want to get a lawyer, and send a letter to the mayor and governor expressing my outrage and how this makes me want to move out of the state.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any advice? Am I handcuffed?

I would really appreciate any input from the group here.

I have a question about Exise Taxes. (Not sure if this is the correct forum, so I apologize if it is).

Here's the rundown of what's happened to us:

- We received no exise tax bills for 2006 and 2007.

- In March of 2008, we received a bill with a late fee for the 2007 year.

- I called and left messages at the collection office multiple times. No reply.

- We paid the taxes for all of 2007, minus the late fee with a letter explaining that we never recieved a prior bill.

- In August of 2008, we received a bill for 2008 Q1 taxes with an amount past due for 2007.

- In August of 2008, we received a bill from a collection agency for 2006 taxes.

I am beside myself about this and want to get a lawyer, and send a letter to the mayor and governor expressing my outrage and how this makes me want to move out of the state.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any advice? Am I handcuffed?

I would really appreciate any input from the group here.

i wrote about my experience on the little rhody lounge. i got the same problem. it might be worth calling the tax collector's office and complain. personally, i think the law is flawed. when i got my collection notice, i sent them a really nasty email because i was pissed. i then read the law, which basically says that we are responsible for the taxes even if they don't send us a bill, but it also says that the tax collectors must send out bills. that sounds a bit contradictory. how are we supposed to know how much we owe if we don't get a bill? are we supposed to remember to call the tax collector once a year to find out? it's ridiculous.
Edited by brick

i wrote about my experience on the little rhody lounge. i got the same problem. it might be worth calling the tax collector's office and complain. personally, i think the law is flawed. when i got my collection notice, i sent them a really nasty email because i was pissed. i then read the law, which basically says that we are responsible for the taxes even if they don't send us a bill, but it also says that the tax collectors must send out bills. that sounds a bit contradictory. how are we supposed to know how much we owe if we don't get a bill? are we supposed to remember to call the tax collector once a year to find out? it's ridiculous.

I think that the law is they have to send a bill, and that they no longer have to send DUPLICATE bills. Which means if some other entity owns your house (mortgage company) or car (finance company) the bill probably goes to them, and now the city doesn't have to send YOU (the person who primarily pays the taxes) a bill. Providence is assbackwards as usual by not having that information on line for you just to log in and pay it.

I got a bill forwarded to me just last week, with the last bit of tax due from last year on my now totaled car. A day later, a collection notice followed. Now while i will concede that the bill forwarding adds, what? maybe an extra week, maybe two to get it to me all the way down here in Virginia. But a collection notice just a day later?

Whatever. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...