Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

Hello! I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me valuable input/advice on how to find a place to live while I'm on internship starting in July.

:thumbsup:

I found a cute furnished house for me and my roommate; it's located near the junction of Blackstone Blvd and Hope which is very convenient.

Thanks especially to Cotuit and Garris!

-Emily

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I can't recommend anyone. I've had bad experiences with almost every realtor I've ever worked with everywhere, including here. They work for two parties exclusively: the seller, and themselves. Where their interests and yours intersect, they are helpful. Beyond that, beware... Educate yourself before you go into any process very, very closely...

The best story I have: once, while looking for homes in Minnesota, I noticed several houses in the nightborhood had tiny signs on their lawns with a symbol I didn't recognize. I asked the realtor what that was all about, and he said, "Oh, I think that's the neighbhoorhood watch." Not trusting him as far as I could throw him, I went back later on and knocked on some doors, and the people in the homes were like, "Oh, those are our protest signs against the high speed rail line they want to put through our street. How did he not know that? He's on our committee."

I also had a verbal agreement on the phone with a realtor here on a house. I flew out here from Minnesota to finalize things, and when I arrived, they said they had another buyer show interest that morning for $20,000 more than our agreed amount and that if I offered another $40,000, they'd go with me. I was infuriated, and of course insisted that we had a deal and I just spent $800 on short notice to fly out to finalize it. The realtor basically said "Providence is a tough market, the rules go out the window here." I told her to take her window, shove it real deep and hard, and better hope I not slap a BBB complaint and lawsuit on her. The house spent several more months on the market afterward and sold for $10,000 less than I offered. The place I eventually bought was much nicer and about $50,000 less.

- Garris

Edited by Garris

A buyer/broker who works for you is supposed to be safer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I added the emphasis around the key work "supposed" to there... My experience with the buyers/brokers is that, again, they're working for themselves and the quick buck. I gave one person a description of what I was looking for and they kept coming back again and again with properties that bore no relation to my preferences. Basically, they all have relationships with one another and are all trying to unload properties as quickly as possible and get their commissions and fees and move on... Again, years of interactions on my part and not a single even mediocre recommendable experience.

- Garris

I think that Garris' caveats are right on. You definitely have to keep in mind that their interests do not necessarily line up with yours. But, in my personal experience, I had a very good experience using a realtor as my buyer's agent, Gerri Schifman at Residential Properties.

Can you guys recommend realtors you have hired in the past? I had a mixed experience with the buyer/broker I worked with 5 years ago when I bought my condo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a fantastic realtor when I bought my place. When I started house hunting over a year ago, I started wandering around the east side. One evening I wandered in to a realtors office, and one gentleman happened to be working late. I told him what I was looking for and that I really liked the east side and oak hill areas, but didnt like the price. It was he who suggested elmhurst to me and gave me a list of all the properties available there. No pressure, just gave me something to think about and pointed me in the right direction.

About 6 months later a good friend of mine was moving to RI from out of state...far far away. She wanted to buy a house, but didnt know where to begin not knowing the area. I told her I had met a realtor who seemed helpful, but I hadn't realllllly worked with him at all, but was happy to pass along the info.

Knowing she was from out of state, and coming here on her vacation time to house hunt, he devoted all the five days she was in town to driving her all over the state showing her places and neighborhoods. He listened carefully to all of her comments and based his next showings on her feedback. I rode along to add my input and get a feel for the home buying experience.

We met a lot of sellers agents. We went to several open houses. We met a LOT of realtors. The more realtors that we met, the more we liked the guy we were working with. Theres a lot of folks out there that just lack the ability to judge what it is you're looking for.

After making offers on two properties and running out of time, she was unfortunately not successful in her purchase, but her house shopping experience could not have been better. In October, when I happened upon the house I live in now, I knew exactly who I wanted to help me with my first home buying experience.

I can't recommend this guy enough, but before I post his contact info on the web, I'd like to get his permission. In the meantime, if someone wants to contact me directly via PM, I'll send it your way.

When we bought our house our Buyers agent was Theresa Level. She was at Armory Properties then, but works for Residential now. I thought she was great. Very driven, very upfront, and totally no BS. I would definitely reccomend her. She seems to specialize in Lofts, but does everything. You should be able to find her contact info on riliving.com

Liam

Hello to all of the Providence folks...I have been tooling around this site for the past day and a half. I am looking to get honest opinions of some of the Providence neighborhoods, in particular Hope Village. My fiancee and I are looking to relo, sometime this summer, from CT. We are in the market for a condo (can't stomach the house prices v.s. locations). Anyway, can someone give me the straight dope on what sort of neighborhood Hope Village is? I printed out a neighborhood profile but it seemed a bit dated...We appreciate any opinions and suggestions.

Hello to all of the Providence folks...I have been tooling around this site for the past day and a half. I am looking to get honest opinions of some of the Providence neighborhoods, in particular Hope Village. My fiancee and I are looking to relo, sometime this summer, from CT. We are in the market for a condo (can't stomach the house prices v.s. locations). Anyway, can someone give me the straight dope on what sort of neighborhood Hope Village is? I printed out a neighborhood profile but it seemed a bit dated...We appreciate any opinions and suggestions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cotuit, the forum leader, will probably (and should) move your message to the "Thinking of Moving to Providence Forum," which is found here http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8986.

There has already been a lot of discussion about Providence neighborhoods several times over there, including Hope Village. Here's a quote from one of my own messages there about Hope Village:

"If you're looking for a similar neighborhood that's a bit "edgier" in feel, more active, and certainly cheaper (often by 1/3rd or more), with arguably a near identical but more diverse and stable mix of retail, look at the "Hope Village" (not a widely used term, BTW) area that is at the intersection of Hope Street and Rochambeau, NW of Wayland Sq. It's a younger, hipper, more highly trafficed area that's cheaper because it's slightly more downscale, farther from the downtown, and does boarder a "sketchy" area that surrounds Camp St to the West. "

For many, it's their favorite Providence neighborhood, but it is better (but more expensive) to be on the East side of Hope St. than the West. Like many areas of town, this one is starting to get more pricey. Many great restaurants, stores, culture (bookstores, galleries), and services (CVS, cleaners, library, Shaws market 2-3 minutes drive away).

- Garris

Hi, I have lived there for 6 years now and can say that it's a great neighborhood. But first, please, do not call it Hope Village. The realtors have recently invented this name and the vast majority of people from Providence have never heard it before. Most would just say "Hope St." or "Off Hope," or Mount Hope (west of Hope between Rochambeau and Olney) or Summit (west of Hope between Rochambeau and the Pawtucket line.)

The area is a mix of mostly early 20th century single family houses and 2 to 3 family apts. The main commercial strip, Hope St., has some great establishments such as Seven Stars Bakery, Rochambeau Library. It's a pretty safe neighborhood with the exception of some of the areas around Camp St. It's got great parks, good bus as well as highway access.

There are lots of young families, seniors, gay couples, Orthodox Jews, etc. Pretty diverse and tolerant.

The area has gotten a lot more expensive over the last couple of years. SOme of the recent condo conversions seem very pricey to me. You might do better actually buying a smaller single family or going the owner occupied 2 family route depending on your budget. Overall I definitely recommend it highly. My only hesitation is that it's not the bargain it once was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a younger, hipper, more highly trafficed area that's cheaper because it's slightly more downscale, farther from the downtown, and does boarder a "sketchy" area that surrounds Camp St to the West. "

I have to differ with Garris here. Hope St.'s getting pretty upscale. Garrison Confections, an expensive choclatier, is on Hope, as are Pizzicco, Oak, Chez Pascal, Seven Stars, Gallery Hop, all pretty elegant places. I guess "downscale" is a relative term.

For many, it's their favorite Providence neighborhood, but it is better (but more expensive) to be on the East side of Hope St. than the West. 

I think the east-west of Hope issue is nearly a thing of the past. There's really not much of a price differential anymore unless you're right on the tougher parts of Camp St. In fact, it's pretty gentrified now all the way up to the eastern side of Camp.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me try that again.

It's a younger, hipper, more highly trafficed area that's cheaper because it's slightly more downscale, farther from the downtown, and does boarder a "sketchy" area that surrounds Camp St to the West. "

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to differ with Garris here. Hope St.'s getting pretty upscale. Garrison Confections, an expensive choclatier, is on Hope, as are Pizzicco, Oak, Chez Pascal, Seven Stars, Gallery Hop, all pretty elegant places. I guess "downscale" is a relative term.

For many, it's their favorite Providence neighborhood, but it is better (but more expensive) to be on the East side of Hope St. than the West. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the east-west of Hope issue is nearly a thing of the past. There's really not much of a price differential anymore unless you're right on the tougher parts of Camp St. In fact, it's pretty gentrified now all the way up to the eastern side of Camp.

Slightly downscale was relative. In this case, the original e-mail was comparing it to Wayland Square. In all, the Hope area is very nice. I love it, and almost lived there.

The difference is decreasing, but I'd still take a hard look at properties, the surrounding neighborhood, and the Providence crime statistics before jumping to buy there. If you look at riliving.com, there's still quite a substantial difference pricewise between the Camp area and everywhere else.

- Garris

Edited by Garris

Slightly downscale was relative.  In this case, the original e-mail was comparing it to Wayland Square.  In all, the Hope area is very nice.  I love it, and almost lived there.

The difference is decreasing, but I'd still take a hard look at properties, the surrounding neighborhood, and the Providence crime statistics before jumping to buy there.  If you look at riliving.com, there's still quite a substantial difference pricewise between the Camp area and everywhere else.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also keep in mind, some parts of "Hope-Rochambeau-Camp" have been declared historical. The difference in tax status might also be looked into.

I bought my house "on the edge" of Camp five years ago, and I've never looked back. Great neighborhood with real people. Families off to one side, condos on another, three families on another. Old folks, new folks, all sorts. I walk my dog to the shops on Hope all the time. Close to the highway, close to schools (good if you are trying to rent your place).

It is definately less edgy than five years ago, even two years ago. There are still some bargain properties in here, though, it just takes some looking. A lot of the residents are starting to take pride in their neighborhood, and that's even better. i like seeing the residents who were here before me making their own properties better instead of merely cashing in and moving out.

I think the "Hope Village" neighborhood is just great. It's probably the only neighborhood in the city I would want to live in besides the West End. The great thing is that if you can find something immediately around the stretch of shops then you have this great Leave It To Beaver kind of neighborhood where you can walk to almost anything you need. It is quickly moving more upscale though. I too question the value of a lot of the condo conversions. You end up spending almost as much for 1 floor of a tenement house as what you could buy your very own 2 family for. I dont quite get it. There are still some bargains (bargain being a relative term) to be found in this neighborhood if you keep your eyes peeled.

Liam

I'll second Theresa Level.

And also add Steve Danyla to the list. He was also at Armory and has since moved on to start his own office Help-U-Sell Belvedere Properties. Awesome guy who really knows the market around here and a great eye for unique deals.

I can't recommend this guy enough, but before I post his contact info on the web, I'd like to get his permission.  In the meantime, if someone wants to contact me directly via PM, I'll send it your way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Permission granted...

I worked with Thom Hammond of ReMax. His contact info is also listed at riliving.com

My name is Marvin lopez and im a realtor from Red Realty. I would like to say that our company thrives on making our customers happy and satisfying them with what they want... plus we only charge 3% commision rates :w00t: .... but if anyone needs help with real estate, u can contact me at redrealty.net

Hi! I'll be starting a job at Providence College in September, and like most people here I am looking for an affordable rental option, at least for now. Does anyone have information on the Pearl Street Lofts? Eastside Commons? I mean info on neighborhood as well as prices and general atmosphere of these complexes. As for budget, I'm looking at $700-$1100 a month. Thanks.

Hi! I'll be starting a job at Providence College in September, and like most people here I am looking for an affordable rental option, at least for now. Does anyone have information on the Pearl Street Lofts? Eastside Commons? I mean info on neighborhood as well as prices and general atmosphere of these complexes. As for budget, I'm looking at $700-$1100 a month. Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.apartments.com/search/oasis.dll...nt_Maximum=9999

http://www.promenadeprov.com

http://www.risingsunmills.com

http://www.picerneaptsri.com/default_Providence.php

http://www.westminsterlofts.com/

Edited by Frankie811

• 2 weeks later...