Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

Hi all. Consider all the cliched formalities unspoken, but meant (great site! great resource!)

My husband and I are moving to Providence in August so that I can go back to school at RISD. The google map hack is extremely helpful for location, but I'm also seeking a bit more advice.

For instance, I need to be at RISD for 6 weeks this summer. Hubby is unable to come because of work, and we talked about me just living in the dorms for convienience sake for those 6 weeks (hmmm...dorm life at 27). My question is : when is the best time to rent? Should I try to secure something sooner (before I go up for the summer) or later (August)? I love Craigslist, but also remember someone mentioning that the best apts. are found just walking around. True?

Also, we'll be bringing up 2 cars...but I want to be within walking distance to RISD. Do you think it'll be possible to find parking for our vehicles?

Thanks so much for your help!

Traci

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Traci,

As far as finding a place to live goes, this is a good time of year and better than August. Many of the apts within walking distance are changing hands and the possibility of parking for two cars is best now. My girlfriend is a grad student at RISD and she will be living in a building downtown which is brand new (RISD Student Housing but won't be ready til fall) There is no parking but they do allow significant others to live in loft style/2br suites which is a plus. Also its mostly grad students which should keep things a little more mellow. Not to mention its one of the best locations you could possibly find in Providence.

Beyond that your options depend on what you consider to be walking distance.

walking around to find apts is a smart move but if parking for two is a priority I'd recommend emailing/calling so you don't waste your time.

My best advice: Start off looking on college hill- if you want I'll post some streets you should check out if you are going to walk around.

Good Luck!

K-

Thanks so much. That's a huge help.

A couple of things: any street names that you would suggest would be great.

Also...what are the main downtown streets? It's hard to tell just by looking at a map.

What is the place called where your girlfriend lives? Do you know how much it is? How I can get more info?

Again - THANK YOU.

Traci

Traci-

The main downcity streets in my opinion are Washington, Empire, Dorrance, Weybosset, and Westminster. They form a rectangle and are where all the activity, retail, offices, etc. mainly are. Memorial Blvd is a main arterial (more suburban in nature), and Francis St. has the mall and leads up to Capitol Hill where the State House and State Offices are. Pine St. has clubs on it, but theyre mostly underage drinking clubs. Hope that helps.

What is the place called where your girlfriend lives?  Do you know how much it is?  How I can get more info?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The downtown RISD building is 15 Westminster Street, commonly called 15West. You can find info on it here. More here. You should contact Residence Life at RISD for more information on it (401-454-6650). It's highly sought after and may well be full already.

Living in the dorms over the summer will be interesting as all the summer students are in town, lots of pre-college teeny boppers.

The good news is that the East Side is litterally littered with For Rent signs right now. First thing I would do when I got here would be to grab your cell phone and a notepad and walk around and look for signs, call them from right there on the sidewalk. You may be able to see the apartment on the spot. I would definately try to secure an apartment now! Hopefully your husband trusts your judgement on the matter and you can secure an apartment without having to wait for him to get here.

Make sure you make it clear to any prospective landlord that you are 27 and married. A 27-year-old married RISD student is much more sought after by landlords than the typicle 20-year-old single RISD student. You'll likely get a better rate on rent and the landlord will be much more open to renting to you. If they don't rent to you, they may get stuck with one of those younger students later on. It's not exactly a renters market, but you are an attractive tenant.

I'm not sure what your money situation is, but if you are comfortable moneywise, then you may want to check out Westminster Lofts. They are a little pricey, and I'm not sure what the parking situation is like there, but the location is great, right downtown, only steps from the RISD campus.

The good thing about RISD is that it is right on the edge of Downtown, there is NO PARKING at RISD, especially not for students, but every bus in the city runs into Kennedy Plaza which is only a few blocks from RISD, so you can really live anywhere.

Downtown.jpg

The red part of this map is mostly called college hill and is probably the first place you should look. Try walking up and down Benefit street and looking on side streets like Transit, Arnold, Jenckes, Pratt etc. There's quite a range of housing and it's a bit more expensive compared to living a few miles further away but if walking distance is important the red zone is your best bet. Also try heading further east (or right on the map) - its a little further of a walk but probably some good options (Governor street area)

The blue zone is what is really considered downtown (taller buildings you probably have seen in pictures) and is becomming home to more and more residents. Westminster street is where most of the lofts are that Cotuit mentioned and is also home to the building I mentioned which is Student housing (Corner of Westminster and Memorial)

Keep in mind that most of RISDs buildings run right along the boarder of the red and blue zones- everything is quite close together.

Hope this helps

PS: just noticed that Westminster street isn't labled - College street in the red zone turns into Westminster in the blue zone- 15 West is on the corner just below the "44" in the blue zone.

Edited by kinematix

There's some pictures of 15West here.

Also check out Prospect Street in your apartment hunt. I've seen a lot of signs up over there. The Wickenden Street area has a lot of signs up too. Wickenden Street is a hip area, not too far from RISD with lots of shops and cafes. It's within walking distance of RISD, but the RIPTA Green Line trolley also runs through the area.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been very helpful to read as I am planning my move back to New England after 10 years of living on the west and midwest. I am really hoping that you folks can help me- I am a poor graduate student starting a position at Brown (Hasbro hospital) in September and am hoping to find a one-bedroom apt. in a location that is a bit off the beaten path. I am kind of burnt out on city living, yet don't know where around Providence might be somewhat rural yet interesting (NOT suburban). Please set me straight if this is not possible but I do have visions of a cottage-like place on the water or in a rural area- would anything like that exist that is not extremely expensive or an extremely long commute? My goal is to spend around $6-700/month. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

This thread has been very helpful to read as I am planning my move back to New England after 10 years of living on the west and midwest. I am really hoping that you folks can help me- I am a poor graduate student starting a position at Brown (Hasbro hospital) in September and am hoping to find a one-bedroom apt. in a location that is a bit off the beaten path. I am kind of burnt out on city living, yet don't know where around Providence might be somewhat rural yet interesting (NOT suburban). Please set me straight if this is not possible but I do have visions of a cottage-like place on the water or in a rural area- would anything like that exist that is not extremely expensive or an extremely long commute? My goal is to spend around $6-700/month. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

& 600 - 700/mo???? :rofl: you gotta be kidding! Hmmmm I'll look around for ya. Rents have really taken off around here. Rural eh. Will you be driving or taking public transit?

Edited by Frankie811

Really? I have seen a bunch of listings for 1 bdrm apts for $6-700 on Craig's list and the Brown housing website. Of course, I don't know the neighborhoods as well.... as for transportation, I will have a car.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think you'll have a problem with the 6-700 dollar price range... The low end of the market is about mid-500's when you're sharing a 4 person suite type of arrangement.

I don't know what you mean by "rural" area, though. For some people, "rural" is a green area of a city. For others, it's a small suburb. For others yet, it's a town of 200 people.

Do you mean rural within the city? Providence, as a metro, is one of the oldest and densest areas in the nation. Do you mean "leafy?" I'm confused. If you truly mean "rural," you need to be looking in Northwest RI (Burriville, Gloster, Scuituate, Foster, or Putnam, CT) or South County, about 30-50 minutes drive. I have no idea what (if?) the rental situation looks like out there in those areas. Keep in mind too that "rural" living means commuting North on 95 to Hasbro, which is the heaviest traffic direction in the morning.

Let us know exactly what you want in an environment. I have a feeling that, given your price range, you'll be better off finding a listing, and then asking us about the neighborhood.

- Garris

PS: I'm a clinical fellow at Rhode Island Hospital, so if you have any questions about medicine in RI or Lifespan, give me a holler!

Hi - love the site, and I was hoping you folks could help me out.

Sunday there was an open house at the Pearl St. Lofts Armory Revival is doing, and I have to say I really liked one unit in the $230K range.

I've looked at moving to Providence for years, mainly by buying a multi-family and being an owner/occupied. Now I'm thinking living in a beautiful loft for a couple years and selling it may be just as good of an investment.

So my questions are:

What do you guys think of Loft condos in Providence?

Do you think they will continue to appreciate well?

Anyone have thoughts on the Pearl St. development in particular?

Would I be better off with a multi family and fixing it up a bit?

Or should I just move to NYC and pay rent (I know the answer B) )

Thanks for the assistance, I really, really appreciate it.

-mog

Pearl Street has some affordable units.. I believe the one you reference is affordable.. Not sure on what the deal is on resale, whether they have to stay "affordable" or not..

I'm not sold on Pearl Street.. Its in South Providence.. Not desireable to me.. Who knows, things change.. It does have proximity to downcity, but the area just doesn't work for me.. It doesn't have either a city living or neighborhood feel to it..

I think anyone who doesn't mind hard work and getting their hands dirty would be infinitely happier buying a multi and fixing it up.. If working after work is not your style, then go condo..

But to me, paying that condo fee for stuff I can and do on my own would be like cryptonite.. To each his own.. Plus, you don't have to deal with idiots on the condo association and inane by-laws.. You are the association, and your rules are the by laws...

As you can tell, I'm an anti-condite... :lol:

As far as appreciation, personally, I think there will be a glut of high end units on the market.. In order for these units to appreciate, there has to be a ton of new money moving to Prov.. Whether it is the coveted empty nesters, or the Boston commuter, a whole lot of people will have to discover Prov.. And soon.. There are already like 2000 new units (condo & high end rental) hitting the market or in progress.. So unless Prov starts adding higher income jobs, there could be an excess supply, in my opinion..

Okay. I've just booked our week stay at the Biltmore in August. Do tell, is the A/C more recent than 1922? ;-) I've a theory that if you can stand either August or February in a town, you'll pretty much be okay the rest of the year, weather wise. :ph34r:

We're planning on wandering the 'hoods, talking to Real Estate Professionals and all those other things one does.

Is there anything moving and/or shaking there the week of the 13th?

Meg

While it's not in Providence, here are some events within reach by public transport. http://www.gonewport.com/whattodo/august.htm

Check out the whole list but the JVC Jazz fest is a huge deal for those into the scene and may help you cool off as it's usually about 10 degrees cooler in Newport. RIPTA offers cheap ferry service from Providence and a word of advice if you're renting a car- do not drive to Newport unless you care more about the ride there and back. Ferry's way better and drops off right in downtown Newport.

I realize you're looking around PVD but thought I might mention these anyway - it can make for a great afternoon.

Garris,

Thanks for your help with the hunt for the ideal spot in or around Providence. I have a vision that I will find the perfect spot- whether it is "leafy" or rural. I was thinking that a relaxing spot would be nice with less traffic, people, and "hub-bub" but I am not very excited about a hectic commute either. I found some of the towns that you mentioned on the map- I wonder if there is any other smallish town on the water that would be pleasantly hassle-free...? Does anyone live in Newport year-round?

Anyway, I will keep you posted with addresses once I do more research-- thanks again for your help! Great to hear that you work at the hospital- and there is still some time for an outside interest (great photos!)! ^_^

Garris,

Thanks for your help with the hunt for the ideal spot in or around Providence. I have a vision that I will find the perfect spot- whether it is "leafy" or rural. I was thinking that a relaxing spot would be nice with less traffic, people, and "hub-bub" but I am not very excited about a hectic commute either. I found some of the towns that you mentioned on the map- I wonder if there is any other smallish town on the water that would be pleasantly hassle-free...? Does anyone live in Newport year-round?

Anyway, I will keep you posted with addresses once I do more research-- thanks again for your help! Great to hear that you work at the hospital- and there is still some time for an outside interest (great photos!)!  ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem helping out! Let us know when you have some addresses.

If you want small town living close to the city, I would look first at Barrington, RI (bargain-basement entry levels start at $250-$300 thousand... I don't know about rentals) and maybe then at Bristol, RI in the "East Bay" East of the City. Traffic, again, can be tough at certain hours, but people who work at the hospital like living there.

West of the city, check out Coventry, RI. It feels like the rural part of NY I grew up in, but is maybe 20-25 from Prov (without traffic). Again, I don't know the rental situation there.

Also take a look at Wayland Square and Hope Village on the East Side of Providence. They are both definitely urban, but are also leafy and fairly quiet places to live within the city with all the amenities that implies.

Let us know when you find some addesses!

- Garris

PS: You'll definitely have time for a life as a trainee. Thankfully, while the salary is still at burger-flipping levels, at least the days of 120 hour workweeks are gone.

The southern sections of East Providence are leafy and near the water. The rents are also likely more reasonable than what you could find in Barrington or Bristol and you are much closer to the city commute-wise, you could bike to the hospitals in better weather.

Leafer-

Pawtuxet Village in Cranston is on the water and leafy, and 20 minutes at most to the hospitals. I have no idea what the rents are, though. Lincoln is quite rural, and less than 1/2 hour out of the city.

As for those $600-$700 rents, those are pretty much the bottom of the market- that is, in rough shape and in REALLY "urban" (in the euphemistic sense) neighborhoods. I woud be very pleasantly surprised if you found something in a leafy area for what want to spend. There are always those little towns in northern Rhode Island that have been mentioned before, though. Rents there might be cheaper.

There are numerous triple deckers on the East Side that offer affordable condo units similar to those in Jamaica Plain up in Boston. Prices are getting higher on the East Side though, and I think the area around Providence College and south of Downcity will become very gentrified in the coming years.

Haha, Cotuit. You nailed it right on the head. I'm one of the 40,000 French Canadians living in Woonsocket. :D Speaking of condos and Woonsocket, there have been A TON of new condo developments going up around the Blackstone River up here. They're a little cheaper than Providence and the restaurant scene is getting increasingly better. If you don't mind commuting its actually a pretty good deal.