Which city do you think has the best skyline?

daniel18

Which city do you think has the best skyline?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which city do you think has the best skyline?

• Chicago
    • New York

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

I've got to go with NY. Chicago as an amazingly skyline, and I certainly don't want to sell it short. But the mass of SS and the character of some of the buildings just can't be touched.

Even if this poll had 10 other cities listed, I'd still go with NY. Boston is up there in the top 10, so is Atlanta IMHO.

I've got to go with NY. Chicago as an amazingly skyline, and I certainly don't want to sell it short. But the mass of SS and the character of some of the buildings just can't be touched.

Even if this poll had 10 other cities listed, I'd still go with NY. Boston is up there in the top 10, so is Atlanta IMHO.

Ever the diplomat!! :D Yes, Atlanta has always had an impressive skyline because it has a few famous hi-rise buildings and just alot of the x-factor. I've always liked San Franciscos mass of buildings, Philadelphia's has a great outline and I think LA's has improved alot. Charlotte is no sloutch!

NYC is just huge and engulfs anything you set beside it so I'd have to say Chicago because it has such character and diversity without having too much to have to pay attention to.

I agree and would have to go with Chicago----sorta.

In a way, New York is too dense. You almost can't see the forest for the proverbial trees; its scale is a little too much off the scale.

While NYC's is certainly much larger, Chicago's has a more aesthetic sense to it.

I like Chicago better. The buildings are newer and taller. All of the NYC buildings are the same. They are either boxes or limestone wedding cakes with different crowns. And there really isn't a good place to view the skyline. In Chicago the river gives you space to see the skyline.

• 6 months later...

I liked New York's best, but the World Trade Center is gone now. :(

I have to go with Chicago now.

Atlanta's skyline looks good coming down from the north, but coming in from the west, it's too spread out.

Yeah, but personally I'll never judge NYC's skyline (or compare its buildings side by side with another city's) without imagining that at least the Freedom Tower if not the twins are there - it's just not fair to say Chicago has the height advantage because NYC didn't choose to lose its towers (though Chi would still have a taller #1, and soon to be 4 340m+ skyscrapers vs. 2 on the New York side)

Chicago's better for views especially as far as taking photos, etc. is concerned (Midtown and Downtown are too seperate) but as somebody already said NYC's skyline is just too quintessential. It's the model to which every other skyline in the world is compared to, even if it's shorter and smaller, and no matter how much it's dwarfed you'll always worship it above any other skyline.

Yeah, but personally I'll never judge NYC's skyline (or compare its buildings side by side with another city's) without imagining that at least the Freedom Tower if not the twins are there - it's just not fair to say Chicago has the height advantage because NYC didn't choose to lose its towers (though Chi would still have a taller #1, and soon to be 4 340m+ skyscrapers vs. 2 on the New York side)

Chicago's better for views especially as far as taking photos, etc. is concerned (Midtown and Downtown are too seperate) but as somebody already said NYC's skyline is just too quintessential. It's the model to which every other skyline in the world is compared to, even if it's shorter and smaller, and no matter how much it's dwarfed you'll always worship it above any other skyline.

Hong Kong and soon Shanghi might have to argue with that last claim.

How about Houston. It ranks in the top 3 of skyscrapers and too me has the best skylines, maybe not as many as NY or Chi. Our biggest problem is that our landmark skyscraper is not Downtown but is uptown, the Transco tower (now Williams) I'm sure I'm going to hear it but you have to mention Houston when talking about skyscrapers. Logically I would say NY because they have two Dinamic buildings that reminds you of the early days and things have just bilt up but when you leave Manhatten there is nothing left at least in Houston if you go in any direstion you will see skysrapers. Lov chi's tallest. I don't cre what anyone says Sears tower will always be number one.

How could Chicago compete against New York? I just don't see it.

Maybe it ought to be Chicago vs Los Angeles vs Houston vs San Francisco.

It all depends on how you look at it. You can view it one of two ways. New York's skyline is HUGE, it stands on it's own compared to ANYTHING in the US, but when you look at it from a different angle such as how many truly profound buildings it has that stands out in the skyline Chicago to some gives New York a run for it's money. I prefer Chicago's skyline compared to anything out there, but I'd rather have a few profound buildings gracing the horizon than pure density of building after building. Not saying I don't love New York, I love that place to death and would really consider moving there if I were offered a job there. To give you a smaller example of how I view skylines...I prefer Charlotte's skyline over Philadelphia for instance, just because I view the buildings in Charlotte as being more profound and having bigger impact on the city.

Archived