Hooters, Waffle Houses & Southern Hospitality

bobliocatt

In Part 1, we went around Downtown & Springfield. Now lets continue with some other urban districts.

San Marco

Originally known as the city of South Jacksonville (annexed by Jax in the 1930's), San Marco was laid out in 1925. Architectural styles here, include Tudor, Georgian, Colonial Revival & Mediterranean Revival, although the pics don't fully represent them. This neighborhood is about a mile south of downtown, on the east side of the river.

sanmarco16ss.jpg

sanmarcowaterfront1yg.jpg

sanmarcoschool6pm.jpg

sanmarcoapartments1dq.jpg

sanmarco26hf.jpg

Murray Hill

Like San Marco, this neighborhood was once an incorporated suburb of Jacksonville. Today its a decent working class hood dominated brick bungalows. Its located about 3 or 4 miles SW of downtown, along I-10 & the Roosevelt Expressway.

murrayhilledgewood26oy.jpg

murrayhillhouses29np.jpg

murrayhillhouses19li.jpg

murrayhilledgewood2up.jpg

murrayhillhouse0lk.jpg

Durkeeville/LaVilla/East Jacksonville

These three neighborhoods are most likely the oldest African-American neighborhoods in the state of Florida. They also are the city's densest and made up mostly of wood frame shotgun houses. Durkeeville and LaVilla sits on the west side of I-95, NW of downtown & Springfield. Both have been damaged heavily by the government, Durkeeville (I-95, MLK Parkway) and LaVilla (urban renewal, I-95). East Jacksonville between Springfield and the Industrial riverfront, just north of Alltel Stadium. It too has been damaged by expressways (MLK & Arlington X-way), as well as urban renewal (the sports stadiums).

*Jax fact of the day

For you New Orleans forumers, Jax Beer actually orginated and was produced in Durkeeville, by the Jax Brewing Company, from 1915 - 1956, when they sold the product rights to the well known Jackson Brewery in New Orleans.

lavillamasoniclodge9gq.jpg

eastjacksonville29ob.jpg

eastjacksonville10tv.jpg

eastjacksonvillebusters9tj.jpg

lavillamanufacturing3yy.jpg

lavillahomes0yl.jpg

durkeevillehomes6dr.jpg

Edward Waters College, Florida's first HBCU.

durkeevilleewc7ai.jpg

James P. Small Field was the home of the Negro League's Jacksonville Red Caps and their star player Jackie Robinson

durkeevilleballpark0ab.jpg

Riverside/Five Points

Riverside is a popular urban hood, just South of I-95, on the west side of the river, about a mile south of downtown. Riverside's largest commercial district, Five Points, is the most popular bohemian spot in Jax.

* Jax fact of the Day - Part II

Riverside Memorial Park, in Five Points, was designed by the Olmstead Brothers.

riversideapartments18bt.jpg

riversidebungalows5vz.jpg

riversideeuropeanstreetcafe0df.jpg

riversidevillariva9bb.jpg

fivepointslofts3zj.jpg

fivepoints25di.jpg

fivepoints10qm.jpg

Part I - Downtown, Springfield

Part III - Avondale, The Beaches & Super Bowl bonus shots

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply