Hooters, Waffle Houses & Southern Hospitality

bobliocatt

In this last thread, we'll take a tour of Avondale, Jax Beach, Neptune Beach and Atlantic Beach. Then some bonus shots of the skyline during Super Bowl weekend.

Avondale

Avondale sits just south of Riverside and is actually an extension of the neighborhood. With its riverfront setting and numerous parks, its currently the home of some of Jax's most pricey real estate.

avondale95hk.jpg

avondale84ch.jpg

avondale75sr.jpg

avondale59am.jpg

avondale48gv.jpg

avondale38uf.jpg

avondale25tr.jpg

avondale118iy.jpg

avondale11vy.jpg

The Beaches - Jax Beach, Atlantic Beach & Netune Beach

The NFL will tell you Jacksonville is a warm-weather site because it's in Florida. But Jacksonville is barely in Florida. It gets cold in Jacksonville. Yesterday morning, the low was 31 degrees. That's below freezing, boys and girls. That's cold enough that you need to keep the space heater turned on in the double-wide. And Jacksonville is 20 miles from the beach. Jacksonville is one of the smallest and most remote stops in the NFL. Green Bay is smaller and more remote. But Green Bay has Lombardi, Starr, Favre and the frozen tundra. Jacksonville has a Dairy Queen.

Jacksonville may be in Florida technically. But this isn't South Beach, gang. It isn't the home of Gloria Estefan, Enrique Iglesias and Luther Campbell. Jacksonville is where Pat Boone was born (sometime around the Martin Van Buren presidency), and where the Southern hair band .38 Special got together. Somehow it doesn't sound like hip-hop. It's more like I-Hop.

Yes Tony, they are 20 miles outside of downtown, but they're well worth the trip. Unlike most Florida beaches, this area is very pedestrian friendly and non-tourist oriented. However, its just as vibrant as any other beach community in the state, outside of South Beach.

jacksonvillebeachskyline0wq.jpg

jacksonvillebeachfirststreet4u.jpg

jacksonvillebeachvolleyball5if.jpg

atlanticbeachstreet9nq.jpg

atlanticbeach1fb.jpg

jacksonvillebeachseawalk5lz.jpg

The Shrimping industry is still pretty big in Mayport, a small historic village at the mouth of the St. Johns River.

mayportshrimpboats9lu.jpg

Here I even included a shot in sprawlburbia for you suburban loving guys

southsidesjtc3gt.jpg

**BONUS SHOTS**

Unfortunately I didn't carry my camera around during the Super Bowl festivities. However, here are some photos from Tim (first 3) and Gary (last one) www.pbase.com, who did get out and snap shots.

downtownlandingcruiseshipstimp.jpg

downtownmainstreetbridgetimp6i.jpg

downtownnorthbanktimp9kq.jpg

downtownskylinegary8yz.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived