Best Small Town in South Carolina

goodbye

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Travelers Rest still retains its small town charm, although the threat of a development explosion looms over the many small shops scattered around the place.  In case you may not know, there is a wonderful outdoors store there, Sunrift Adventures, located in an old train depot-turned-feen-n-seed bulding.  This store is something you'd see in the mountain villages of North Carolina!  Awesome!! B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd definitely have to vote for Traveler Rest (AKA, "T.R.," myself. Although big development is under progress in some areas and still looming in others, the Mayor and City Manager are working to return some "small town charm" to downtown T.R. by creating "bump-out" parking, installation of old-fashioned street lights and benches, and by implementing landscaping improvements downtown.

I just wish they'd find a use for that Eckard store that was built but never opened...anybody know the story behind that thing? :-)

Sunrift Rocks, by the way!

That Eckerd was built only after the most beautiful and certainly signature mansion in TR was leveled. :cry: I remember literally crying when I drove through the town and saw that bare spot for the first time. That old house was my favorite building in TR, and it gave you the feeling of rest along the journey (i.e. Rested Traveler). So sad! :cry:

You read my post about Sunrift? :thumbsup: Great place!

• 3 weeks later...

One South Carolina town not yet mentioned is Chester where they are filming a movie with Jason Patric caled "Walker." Parts of Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" was also filmed here and back in the 80s, a CBS mini-series called "Cheifs" starring Charlton Heston, Billy Dee Williams and Trapper John from "MASH" whose real name escapes me at the moment was shot here.

But the town is really something. Downtown sets on a hill that is very photogenic. Some real old and neat houses line the streets and, for me, three railroads run through town!!! Here are some photos from the area that still manages to leave some of the charm of the town out --

chester6783x800.jpg

Lancaster Street in Chester.

court5636bwpbuck.jpg

Chester County Court House

chester5650.jpg

Old bank on Lancaster Street

chester6790x800.jpg

Richburg church at night.

lc6665x800bw.jpg

Lancaster and Chester Railway train through Richburg, SC.

Joe H.

Lancaster, SC

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting these pics! I have never actually seen downtown Chester :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Spartan. I appreciate the welcome. I do like Spartanburg, too. Almost lived thre one time and I still have family there as well as Union and Jonesville. Nice part of the state!!!

Joe

• 11 months later...

I've always liked Ridgeway because of the world's smallest police station there. I haven't driven through Ridgeway in years even though it is practically a suburb of Columbia now. I hope the little station is still there.

It is. It's hard to beat Ridgeway. And that's my idea of what a small town really is, having spent most of my childhood in Swansea. I also have a bias for Newberry because I used to visit my grandparents there for a couple of weeks at a time in the summer.

Pamplico used have a charming, small town feel that I liked when growing up in Florence County, SC. Also, my hometown of Johnsonville and nearby Hemingway in Williamsburg County. However, Pamplico was far more charming than Johnsonville or Hemingway IMO...with more beautiful white-column homes and tree-lined streets...Johnsonville was the more industrial of the three. And best time there was autumn when the trees were different colors and the football rivalery between the three towns was huge...

Denmark is pretty.

Never really thought of Denmark as "pretty." My hometown (my 3rd hometown actually) of Branchville in the southern tip of Orangeburg County definitely gets a nod here. Next time I go back home I'll take some pictures of the place.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, y'all, you asked for it . . please excuse my length here, but I am a small-town, South Carolina, explorer. It's a huge hobby for me, and I have been to all of the towns in the state. My list:

#1: Aiken. If it qualifies as "small", it is a dream come true for me. :wub: Y'all know why . .

#2: Beaufort. Hard to put it as second, it is so rich in everything a small town should be, if it qualifies as small, as well.

#3: Cheraw. For the reasons already mentioned, plus it's my hometown. :)

The rest can't be ranked, but are the same as a lot of the ones already mentioned: Georgetown, Camden, Summerville (old part ONLY), Abbeville, Newberry, Pendleton, Travelers Rest, York, Ninety-Six, Due West, Edgefield, Ridgeway, Hartsville (also used to live there, and witnessed its transformation), Landrum, Lexington, Clinton, and Walterboro.

I don't consider beach towns to be small towns, they are just magical places on their own. Pawley's Island, where I've been going all my life (and will be again in a week :yahoo: ), Sullivans Island, Edisto Beach, Folly Beach . . well, they are just too special to include with mere "towns." They are "must sees" for our new Australian friend, or any visitor that wants to see the best of S.C.

Two old fishing villages were left off lists: McClellanville and Bluffton. Both have lots of charm. The fact that McClellanville is still even in existence after Hugo is amazing.

For old houses, Winnsboro is great!

Surprisingly, North Augusta is rather pleasant. They are proactively marketing it, building neo-traditional neighborhoods, and gussying up the place.

For classic small-town tree-lined streets, quaint downtowns, and fabulous old homes, visit Marion, Bennettsville, Barnwell, Denmark, St. Matthews, Union, Mullins, Lake City, Kingstree, Hampton, Orangeburg, Sumter, Manning, Conway, Laurens, Darlington, Lancaster, Chester, Gaffney, Greenwood, Chesterfield, Pageland, Blackville, Bishopville, and McCormick. I enjoy shopping antique stores when passing through, which a lot of them have, or eating at one of those good ole' Southern home-cooking places.

Not on my list: Saluda and Bamberg. I've always been disappointed about these places. Hardeeville isn't much, but the streetscaping is welcome (although making something out of nothing.)

Finally, the ugliest place (not really a town): Ulmer--what a wreck! Lined with abandoned gas stations and travel inns, and what looks like serious HAZMAT violations, it is in serious need of mass demolition.

Second worst: Jacksonboro, for the same reasons. Jacksonboro has potential, though: it is the gateway to the ACE Basin, for crying out loud. It should have outfitters selling kayaks, boating supplies, and other gear (a la Travelers Rest), quaint tackle shops, country stores, etc. Why doesn't it?

If you're still reading this, thanks for allowing my self-indulgence. I am, and will always be, a proud small-town S.C. boy. :)

Abbeville is quite nice as well.

"Abbeville" is such a nice name, this town has to be nice. I have seen pictures of Abbeville's Town Square and Opera House and found them imposing. The town seems as warm and as pleasant as Thornton Wilder's "Our Town" or Santa Rosa, CA, as depicted in Alfred Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt", which Wilder completed the screenplay...If South Carolina had to pick one "best town" to represent the state for universal appeal, Abbeville is posed to be honored...

Archived