• Others

my favorite shows are mostly old re-runs like:

Wings

Who's the Boss? (stop laughing!)

Frasier

Seinfeld

Simpsons

Howard Stern

oh, I just remmebered my fav current TV show is Growing up Gotti. Only because I have a HUGE crush on Victoria Gotti. :blush:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never miss: Arrested Development (best show on TV...hands down), Curb your Enthusiasm, Chappelles Show, Family Guy, and the World Poker Tour.

I try not to miss: Reno 911, The Daily Show, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, South Park.

Avoid at all cost: Almost anything on MTV...My Supersweet Sixteen pushed me over the edge. I'm out.

• 2 months later...

I usually watch Law & Order and its various spinoffs.

The only 2 recent shows I watched on a regular basis were "American Dreams" (cancelled) and that one baseball-related show on CBS (can't remember the name of it and was also cancelled).

Outside of the auditions for the current "American Idol", I avoid reality shows as much as possible.

Edit: forgot to mention South Park (I haven't watched it since I moved into an apartment... haven't got around to ordering cable).

-- LB

Oooh... I forgot... HOUSE!! That is an AWESOME show... EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT... not the usual ER angst/CRAP... HOUSE IS VERY VERY WELL WRITTEN!!! The only thing that might get it cancelled is that it's very medically involved and technical and most people may be too dumb (or just too mentally lazy) to appreciate it... Causing ratings to be low.... but it is REALLY GOOD.. and a surprise coming from Fox!!!

"House" is the only medical show out there I can watch.

I can't stand some of the surgery scenes in one like ER.

"House": All the fun of a medical drama without the surgery, but a little more than you expect.

Factoid: In his native UK, Hugh Laurie is best known for playing comedy characters, especially the buffoon and mindless idiot roles.

Spartan, I heard that King of Queens was a spin-off. Is it?

I disagree with you for now that the age of the sitcom is going away. I have studied television and its workings (I would like to get a job involving TV) like some people here study architecture.

In 1983-4 season, there was only one sitcom in the top ten, "Kate and Allie". People were saying the sitcom was dead then, but the next year, "The Cosby Show" debuted to massive ratings (#3 in its first year). With it came "Family Ties", Night Court", and "Cheers" hit it big soon after. This is where NBC's Must-See-TV Thursdays came from.

Two and a Half Men seems to be poised to take the reins as highest rated sitcom, but it is debated as to how successful it will be now that its lead-in Raymond is gone.

Spartan, I heard that King of Queens was a spin-off. Is it?

I disagree with you for now that the age of the sitcom is going away. I have studied television and its workings (I would like to get a job involving TV) like some people here study architecture.

In 1983-4 season, there was only one sitcom in the top ten, "Kate and Allie". People were saying the sitcom was dead then, but the next year, "The Cosby Show" debuted  to massive ratings (#3 in its first year). With it came "Family Ties", Night Court", and "Cheers" hit it big soon after. This is where NBC's Must-See-TV Thursdays came from.

Two and a Half Men seems to be poised to take the reins as highest rated sitcom, but it is debated as to how successful it will be now that its lead-in Raymond is gone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is a spin off. Kevin James in King of Queens was Raymond's delivery man friend in some of the earlier episodes of Raymond I think.

I have heard that about Two and a half men, but I've just never been able to get into the show. Its not bad or anything, but its just not the best.

For me, Raymond was the last sitcom that I have ever said "ok, im going to sit down and watch this tonight." King of Queens, Will & Grace, Yes Dear, and Scrubs are shows that I think "if I come accross this with nothign better to do, I will watch it."

My point about the dying sitcoms is that a few years ago we had- Raymond, Friends, Seinfeld, Will & Grace, Home Improvement, etc. all in one week in prime time.

Now what do we have? Sure there are shows, but they just don't stand out to me anymore. Maybe I just don't watch enough TV? Maybe they will come up with something good?

Indeed, Spartan.

The next great sitcom is only a hit away, but the networks have been harping on that forever. They need to do something about it. So many good projects get killed because they don't fit the tastes of today's sitcoms, when these cancelled projects might be the real next successor to Seinfeld.

On Scrubs, Two and 1/2, etc., I feel the same way about them as you do. The only show I watch with any regularity now the Raymond is gone is House. I do watch Arrested Developement every now and then, but Not with any regularity.

Anything else that I watch is on the BBCAmerica or PBS's Saturday night, The Daily Show w/Jon Stewart, and reruns of "Cheers", "Frasier", and "MASH" (wherever they are on).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is a spin off. Kevin James in King of Queens was Raymond's delivery man friend in some of the earlier episodes of Raymond I think.

I have heard that about Two and a half men, but I've just never been able to get into the show. Its not bad or anything, but its just not the best.

For me, Raymond was the last sitcom that I have ever said "ok, im going to sit down and watch this tonight." King of Queens, Will & Grace, Yes Dear, and Scrubs are shows that I think "if I come accross this with nothign better to do, I will watch it."

My point about the dying sitcoms is that a few years ago we had- Raymond, Friends, Seinfeld, Will & Grace, Home Improvement, etc. all in one week in prime time.

Now what do we have? Sure there are shows, but they just don't stand out to me anymore. Maybe I just don't watch enough TV? Maybe they will come up with something good?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you Spartan, but I would go further back and say the last golden age of the sitcom was the 1970s. The stuff was cutting edge then, was a bit controversial and actually required the audience to think to get the humor. In comparison, the stuff that is thrown up today as "hits" is nothing but obvious cliches with endless canned laughter imposed over it. Its no secret the networks have been losing viewers in great numbers.

If you want to see good humor now you have to go to something like BBCAmerica.

Archived