The Benchmark Building and "Penneys Block"

firemick

I wanted to start a thread on this project and include some new renderings for all to discuss. Also moderators can you place one of these in P&C list. Also these are better and do not look chubby!!! In case you are wondering how i got my little hands on these, its just a case of ask nice and ye shall receive. Hope you all enjoy,now discuss.

1001933a8jl5mu.jpg

print51sc.jpg

print39al.jpg

print70vo.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great! Thanks for these.

This project really is massive and it's nice to finally see a decent rendering of the condo tower (whose crown reminds me of The Waverly).

I really like how the office tower does not front Orange. This will change pedestrian traffic patterns and "enlarge" the scope of the building.

:thumbsup:

Wow, much better renderings than the ones previously posted. I really like this project. That rendering second from the bottom is really sharp. I think this if built will add diversity and interest to the skyline. I'm not putting much stock in the condo tower design. Kuhn is not developing I believe so the developer will want thier own architects as happened with Premiere.

I still think this has a chance to approach Suntrust Height.

Somone said before that either in the future, orlando will have a unique nice skyline, or one bizzarre batch of buildings, thats very true. I olike these buildings individually as with most our projects, but whether they come together to form a nice skyline is yet to be seen.

Is it ok if I post these over at SkyscraperCity?

The Benchmark Building is fronting West Washington Street west of Orange Avenue, and the unnamed residential condo tower according to the rendering would go near West Jefferson Street and Garland. The Cornerstone is essentially the refurbished for the 2nd time old JC Pennys building and if you look real hard, you can still make out the old have a Nice Day Cafe facade and the other old building facades. Hope this helps.

I like these new renderings much better...but I'm a little confused. The tower doesn't front Orange, right? So what street will the tower be on? And is that other condo proposal on Orange?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm in agreement with everyone, these rendering are great - much better than the grainy little pic we all were used to. I definitely like the condo tower portion of the project. I don't remember ever seeing it before. Will it sit on a different lot than the remainder of the projects?

firemick, you must have an "in" at FBB :thumbsup:

Earlier articles have said the Condo is accross the RR tracks from benchmark. And that actually the condo is another developer that Kuhn is trying to interest in the project ... the condo is not Kuhn's. Although FBB has drawn in what the condo might look like, I don't even know if the condo will be theirs.

I agree with the earlier opinion that although by themselves these buildings are interesting, I don't think they go well with the rest of downtown.

I'm very underwhelmed. Great pics though :).

Yes, the renderings are better, but the design is still total crap.  Nothing matches, there is no reason for anything.  Its a mixed jumble of sh*t.  Also, on the top of that condo tower, I do recall that "fin" thing on the original condo tower for the Plaza project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could have said it better ... Bravo!

Whoever said Orlando is going to have an eccelctic skyline is right on. Not only is it going to be eccelectic, I think it's going to be pretty divisive, opinion-wise, if this forum is any indication.

I like the look of the Benchmark. But I hate the look of the Citrus Club(?) proposal. But I'd love to be able to argue about all of these buildings when they are actually up and running.

And just a question - How much do renderings normally change from initial concept to actual construction? I'd like to see some early renderings of existing buildings - like SunTrust, the courthouse, the Waverly - to see how much they changed from concept to construction.

I definetly like the new pics, but it still looks to me that Cornerstone is out of place. Hopefully one day they build up. With Dynetech Center and The Benchmark, it looks like Orlando will be featured in a book called "Bizarre Architectual Designs of the 21st Century."

I believe the reason they fronted the Benchmark off Washington is because of political pressure to save the facades of the old buildings on Orange. Kuhn was scrutinized heavilly about the demo of Woolworths "and not saving the facades". I dont think saving the facades is that big of a deal, however that changed the whole design of this project by saving the stupid facades. :o:w00t:

And just a question - How much do renderings normally change from initial concept to actual construction? I'd like to see some early renderings of existing buildings - like SunTrust, the courthouse, the Waverly - to see how much they changed from concept to construction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ask and you shall receive. Here is an early rendering of what became the Waverly.

1002127a0an.jpg

Archived