The Benchmark Building and "Penneys Block"

firemick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO

Of all the residential towers I think Tradition Towers, Thornton Mixed-Use, and 55W have the most urban look (in that order). I like them in that order.

Waverly, North Orange, Orlando Palace, Ivanhoe, and the Vue have a more residential look and are OK as long as there is some separation between them and the CBD. They would actually fit in well along New Smyrna Beach.

PremiereTrade and Solaire are a bit clashy the CBD but not too bad. There are a lot worse designs (coper whopper)

Benchmark is butt-ugly; Dynetech a close second.

CPA is beautiful and I hope it finds a home in Orlando.

Regarding Benchmark and the whole facade thing: I like some of the old historical buildings. Kress for one is special and it would be a crime to tear down that facade; but seriously, a JCPenney built in the 60's ...come on people! Knock it down, please!

I think this residential vs. urban thing is going to emerge very much as a typical "Florida" skyline, much like the rest in Florida. I see a trend here.

And yes, aside from the towers built in the 80s, I do believe the Waverly was the first of its kind, starting the transformation of Central into what is more than likely going to be Orlando's greatest street.

IMO

Of all the residential towers I think Tradition Towers, Thornton Mixed-Use, and 55W have the most urban look (in that order).  I like them in that order.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm going to stick up for the poor ol' Benchmark and Dynetech projects by saying that I think the design for the Tradition Towers is the most god-awful looking concept to hit downtown Orlando...ever.

It's as if the architects said "Let's make it Spanish style!" "No, let's make it Mediterranean style!" "No, let's make it South Beach deco!" "No, let's make it Modern!" "Hey, wait a minute, let's make it everything!"

And the result? A building with too many baubles, facades and cheap design tricks. And if it's built, that's what's going to dominate the skyline for years to come. Ugh. Shudder the thought.

Plus, it's "ornateness" will not age gracefully. Ten years after it's built, it's going to make the OUC building look like an I.M. Pei.

Okay, maybe not. But you get my drift.

Even when it comes to buildings, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Let the flame war begin!

Let the flame war begin!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK Superman, Flame on!

A 1960's JCPenney is not I.M. Pei nor Frank Lloyd Wright. Dynetech is borrowed right out of Walt Disney's Tomorrow Land. What next, Cindy's castle on the Pizzuti lot. The last think this town needs unless you think "Mickey Mouse" is a title we should aspire to.

I'm going to stick up for the poor ol' Benchmark and Dynetech projects by saying that I think the design for the Tradition Towers is the most god-awful looking concept to hit downtown Orlando...ever.

It's as if the architects said "Let's make it Spanish style!" "No, let's make it Mediterranean style!" "No, let's make it South Beach deco!" "No, let's make it Modern!" "Hey, wait a minute, let's make it everything!"

And the result? A building with too many baubles, facades and cheap design tricks. And if it's built, that's what's going to dominate the skyline for years to come. Ugh. Shudder the thought.

Plus, it's "ornateness" will not age gracefully. Ten years after it's built, it's going to make the OUC building look like an I.M. Pei.

Okay, maybe not. But you get my drift.

Even when it comes to buildings, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Let the flame war begin!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you must be smoking...Thornton Park rocks the house! You knock it now, but just wait until you are walking around Lake Eola one day craving a fine Publix sub...

Archived