Best Skyline In Florida (Excluding Dade County)

RiversideGator

Which city has the best skyline?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best skyline?

• Ft. Lauderdale
    • Jacksonville
    • Orlando
    • Tampa

Atlanta has a city pop over 700,000 and its Metro is in the Millions. Surely its downtown is beautiful... now flip the coin and think about Indianapolis, IN - recognized as a large metro, but pales to compare even to Jacksonville and Tampa in terms of scope.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Indianapolis' downtown is far more active and vibrant than Atlanta's and Tampa's combined. Its one of the best for a city its size. Its metro is also a couple of hundred thousand residents larger than Jax's.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^The town or the downtown. Because, as far as street level vibrancy, density and atmosphere are concerned, both downtown Atlanta and Tampa are pretty dead, when compared with Indy's. Now if your talking only about the look of each city's skyline, then that's another subject.

I picked Jax. I like the unique buildings and the settings on the St. John's River.

By the way, Atlanta's core is slowly revitalizing. As it stands right now, Atlanta is a nice city by looks, especially along Peachtree St. & Piedmont Ave. It needs more people though, because it isn't very dense for a city with incorporated limits of

132 sq. mi.

:D I am going to say Tampa, just look at these pics.

tampa.jpg

PICT6405.jpg

tampa2ED.jpg

Tampa_skyline_from_Davis20Island_600x400_85.jpg

ok.jpg

tampa_5nights_379.jpg

a-City20of20Tampa20Skyline.jpg

I mean look at these pics, Jacksonville/Orlando/Ft. Lauderdale is not even on the same level as Tampa. We all know who the winner is. Tampa has definetley got the best skyline after Miami. :D:P:D

Like you Jaylon it is very hard for me to give up. Here is Tampa again. :D  :D  :D

Oh when i said I never know when to quit, I was talking about trying to post pics, the ones i had posted earlier didn't show up, so I uploaded them to a different website and tried again. I wasn't trying to argue for Jacksonville.

I liked all of the pics I saw. I think people from Florida should be grateful to have so many nice cities. I'm from Alabama. Can you imagine the post "Birmingham vs. Mobile vs. Huntsville vs. Montgomery: Best skyline in Alabama."?

-J

70 compared to 87 buildings.    That is what Emporis has listed.  Jacksonville seems to be doing well for a city with half the population of Tampa.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jacksonville is only that population because it annexed the whole county of Duval. OK so if Miami annnexed the whole county of Dade, what what it's population be? Maybe about 3 million. If Tampa annexed all of Hillsborough County it would have a population of over one million. Size doesn't always matter. Not picking on Jacksonville but you have to consider density.

The date on Emporis he was refering to states that Jacksonville has half the metro population of Tampa but almost as many highrise buildings (70 to 87).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The funny thing is it's not just Tampa. I'ts the greater Tampa bay area. I mean Tampa- St. Pete - Clearwater. This is the backbone of the Tampa bay area (2.5 million). I didn't plot to pick on JAX. I'm sure JAX has some wonderful sections, but why do the people still have the southern accent. TB, Orlando, and South FL have a northern influence. Is JAX getting away from that?

Apparently Miami is mascarading as Tampa now.  By the way, what is wrong with the Southern accent, Robbie?  It sounds a lot better than the Yankee pronunciation and it is a lot closer to the Queen's English.  And how is this relevant to the skyline question?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he meant why does Jax have more of a Southern accent than the other large metros. I don't think he meant it in a bad way. I am going to JU for a major in Aviation, and I have noticed it too since leaving the Tampa bay area. Maybe someone who has lived here longer could explain in a different thread possibly so we don't take this thread off topic. :D

Not an expert, but I too am part of a North Florida city with a southern accent. Much of the way we talk can be attributed to our geography. Many people from the strong south states of Alabama and Georgia, some from Tennessee and the Carolinias have nested in Florida and over the years have spread some of their charm. The other reason, and probably the more logical, is the founding of the area. Jacksonville was settled by "Old Florida" people, while much of the larger south Florida towns were mainly established by migrating northerners who spoke and continue to speak that Yankee tounge.

The Panhandle & north Florida and the peninsula (from Jax down) are like tow separate states. The panhandle/N. Florida is more of a traditionally Southern state, like Alabama and Georgia, and the Peninsula is more like, say, California or New York.

The funny thing is it's not just Tampa.  I'ts the greater Tampa bay area.  I mean Tampa- St. Pete - Clearwater.  This is the backbone of the Tampa bay area (2.5 million).  I didn't plot to pick on JAX.  I'm sure JAX has some wonderful sections, but why do the people still have the southern accent.  TB, Orlando, and South FL have a northern influence.  Is JAX getting away from that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, cultural wise, Tampa and Orlando aren't that different from Jax, outside of the fact that they have attracted more retires (well at least, Pinellas) over the years. People in these cities all speak the same. The main differences between the three are metro Tampa and Orlando are larger and their economies are more tourism oriented vs. the business oriented economy in Jax.

In much of the 20th century, North FL, including Jacksonville, drew as newcomers people from GA and other parts of the South. Miami drew Northeasterners and later Cubans and other Latins, Tampa and the west coast drew Midwesterners. Before about 1950, FL was a regular southern state, even in Miam-a. Now, unfortunately, things have changed and Yankees want to come down and change everything. Thus the saying: We dont care how you did it up North. :lol:

By the way, here is an interesting article re the Southern accent:

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/0505/12accent.html

Archived