Best Skyline In Florida (Excluding Dade County)

RiversideGator

Which city has the best skyline?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best skyline?

• Ft. Lauderdale
    • Jacksonville
    • Orlando
    • Tampa

Thats funny because St.Pete barely has anymore room to build stuff and if i found a pic of Tampa i could also find a pic with a few hi-rises a mile from downtown

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't understand what you mean by that. With 2.5 million residents and one main location remaining (as you say St Pete is full) for large vertical urban development, Tampa should be twice that of Jax. Look at other cities with metros of over 2 million people like SD, Balt, Cincy, Cleve, Denver and Pitts.

Denver and Tampa have almost the exact same metro population but Denver has 3 times as many high rises.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you trying to tell me that Jax is bigger than Tampa?

Tamps is also bigger than Orlando..2.5 million vs 1.85 million.

You cannot go by city limits populations when comparing a cities past and potential for development.

I also told you to use my pic because yours cuts out 13 buildings. I also said jax had 70 buildings and Tampa had 87, not the other way around BUT, Emporis is missing 13 projects at 20 storys each so you can bring that to 83 plus we had a new tower announced today so that's 84.

Jax - 1.25 million with 84 buildings.

Tampa - 2.5 million with 87 buildings.

Jax has half the population and nearly the same total number of DT high rises.

Yea Tampa also has many buildings to add to that list

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tampa also has 2 other core business districts with significant high-rise density, such a the Westshore area and Rocky Point. I'm wondering if these buildings are being included on Emporis? There are currently 10 high-rise buildings( 20 stories or more) in downtown that are either under construction or w/in 90 days of groundbreaking. The Channelside district will definitely balance Tampa's new skyline nicely. I also like the projects under way in St.Pete.

Tampa also has 2 other core business districts with significant high-rise density, such a the Westshore area and Rocky Point. I'm wondering if these buildings are being included on Emporis? There are currently 10 high-rise buildings( 20 stories or more) in downtown that are either under construction or w/in 90 days of groundbreaking. The Channelside district will definitely balance Tampa's new skyline nicely. I also like the projects under way in St.Pete.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:thumbsup: Yea i cant wait to move back i been away for 3/4 of a year and so much has changed.

Dallas, now there's anice skyline

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes here are some pics i took in the beggining of Febuary on a Saturday

Downtownfromdistance.jpg

D-town.jpg

This was amazing to me when i first came to Dallas in 2003 x-mas to see a five lane freeway because i never saw one in real life because most cities with big freeways like La and Houston and Dallas i havent been to.

Picture076.jpg

The Reunion Tower

ReunionTower.jpg

Old mixed with new

Picture083.jpg

I see the Tampa homers have chimed in to put Tampa past J-ville.  I think though when/if the Riverpointe tower(s) are completed at 600+ feet we will be the indisputed leader of this poll.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

700+ feet, at least until Aqua-whatever developer says otherwise.

Emporis says who has how many tall buildings... but we don't know what they're including. They might include Westshore and Bayshore in Tampa--and those aren't part of the downtown skyline. They might include condos out at the beach in Jax, and those aren't part of the skyline, either.

Jax is the older city. When I go downtown, I feel like I'm in downtown through a greatear area of land--downtown Jax goes to the Maxwell House, down to the Fuller Warren, on both sides of the bridge, and back at least as far as University Hospital. It's a large swatch of territory, and a lot of the older buildings in the 12-18 story range are obscured in most pictures of the skyline. I just feel like Jax is "more urban" than Tampa.

That said, I live in downtown Tampa, one block from the performing arts center. All of downtown lies south of my porch, and it simply isn't as big, geographically, as downtown Jax. Now, with the developments at Grand Central At Kennedy and the verticalization (if that's a word) of the Channelside area, I think the part of downtown Tampa that feels like downtown will expand. But until then, downtown Tampa just feels like a little vestpocket space compared Jax.

I voted for Jax. Old loyalties are the strongest. But I think Fort Lauderdale is getting the shaft here; I lived there in 99 and 2000 and thought it's downtown was a joke, but I was just back in town last week and my goodness what a change. I couldn't believe it. Some of the buildings they've built are quite nice (others are rather dull), but the place has really taken off. Fort Lauderdale actually beat both Tampa and Jax to the downtown condo towers trend, and did a bang-up job.

Emporis has Jax and Jax Beach listed seperately and no Jax Beach building is listed for Jax. There are a couple of Jax buildings outside of the CBD district that aren't listed such as the Nations Bank tower in Regency. I'd submit it myself but I can't find its official height listed anywhere.

I think all of Florida is dominating the rest of the nation right now.

I think Jacksonville has a nicer skyline than Tampa, both now and in the future. Considering that Jax has about 1/2 the population of Tampa and that they already have comparable skylines, and taking into account that outside of Miami, Jax is the hottest city in Florida right now, my vote gets thrown behind Jacksonville.

I think Jacksonville has a nicer skyline than Tampa, both now and in the future.  Considering that Jax has about 1/2 the population of Tampa and that they already have comparable skylines, and taking into account that outside of Miami, Jax is the hottest city in Florida right now, my vote gets thrown behind Jacksonville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What makes you consider JAX the hottest city in Fl right now?

Miami is by far the hottest city, in terms of urban development right now. Considering they're sizes, I'd say Sarasota and Fort Myers, are right up there as well. After that, its a toss up between the rest. They all excell each other in certain points and lack in other points.

The thing about the development in Miami is that this condo boom has been 30 years in the making. And the boom is just beginning to hit its stride if you can believe that. The other cities in Florida are just getting onto the highrise condo boom. Downtown MIA is beginning to be built out pretty quickly so South Florida developers are looking elsewhere in the state. Right now we seen highrise condo booms in Broward, Palm Beach, Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville. However, which one of the those areas can have the type of run that Miami has had for the last 30 years? All of these cities have potential b/c of the population growth and people with money continue to move to Florida. But it also takes large amounts of desirable land to pull of a Miami type boom. The amount of land with bay and ocean views have sustained Miami's run.

Read my post again, please. I never said that Jax was Florida's hottest city. What I said, was, that outside of Miami, Jax is currently Florida's hottest city. Between all the development in downtown as well as the suburbs, the hiring of San Diego's Tourism & Development Chief and hosting the Super Bowl last month, Jacksonville is a hotter destination right now than either Tampa or Orlando. I'm not saying it's a bigger or better city, I'm just saying that right now, it's the hotter of the other cities. That much is pretty much clear to see.

Archived