Best Skyline In Florida (Excluding Dade County)

RiversideGator

Which city has the best skyline?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best skyline?

• Ft. Lauderdale
    • Jacksonville
    • Orlando
    • Tampa

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before about 1950, FL was a regular southern state, even in Miam-a.  Now, unfortunately, things have changed and Yankees want to come down and change everything.

I thank our lucky stars that Miami has changed. Otherwise Miami would be just another southern city like Jacksonville.

In much of the 20th century, North FL, including Jacksonville, drew as newcomers people from GA and other parts of the South.  Miami drew Northeasterners and later Cubans and other Latins, Tampa and the west coast drew Midwesterners.  Before about 1950, FL was a regular southern state, even in Miam-a.  Now, unfortunately, things have changed and Yankees want to come down and change everything.  Thus the saying:  We dont care how you did it up North.  :lol:

By the way, here is an interesting article re the Southern accent:

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/0505/12accent.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well Yankees certainly build better cities. You should be thankful they've influenced Florida in the ways they have.

This thread has gone CLEARLY off topic, but oh well. I've noticed that happens a lot. Anyway, I voted for Orlando, because it's downtown has a lot of potential and (of course) I'm showing a hometown bias! However, I have to admit, Miami has the largest and most impressive in all of Florida! So, IMO, they come in second. :rolleyes:

That is Miami (an outdated picture at that, pre 1998). ;)  When Google indexes pictures, it links them to certain keywords that might have appeared on that page. The word "Miami" probably appeared on the webpage that this picture came from.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That pic is Miami. To tell yall the truth I wasn't going to post that pic because I thought it was of another city, but then I thought it was Tampa tooken from a different location. :blink: It wasn't until after i posted the pic and read your commetnts that I came to realize this wasn't tampa. The tall blue building in the background really led me to that belief. I never payed any close attention to the details of that pic. It looked mostly like Tampa, but it wasn't. When I went to search for miami pics i noticed that Miami's downtown and Tampa's downtown had similarities, hmmm very interesting.

Anyway I still say Tampa has the next best skyline in Florida. :lol:

well Yankees certainly build better cities. You should be thankful they've influenced Florida in the ways they have.

All hail the Yankee race, creators of all that is good and just in America, except the Declaration Of Independence (T. Jefferson, VA), the US Constitution (James Madison, VA), the first President (G. Washington, VA), etc, etc. As to cities, have you ever been to Savannah, Richmond, Charleston? All of these are well designed, beautiful, very genteel cities. They dont have a brutalist skyline, but they are quite nice. As to Miami, I dont even think that is part of America anymore, much less Yankee. Still, I bow before your benevolent dictatorship.

Architecture and urban cityscapes have nothing to do with "Yankees", "Old South Southerners", or anybody else. Its all about the period of time these places were established, their economic backgrounds and physical location. The US is littered with great cities ranging from Seattle and San Diego to Denver, Chicago and New Orleans.

No region in this country has a patent on urban features like density, cosmopolitan culture, architectural character or sprawl, while I'm at it. However, those that tend to embrace cultural diversity (ex. Miami, NYC, San Fran), normally end up very vibrant and urban oriented places, do to they're will to accept change, instead of sticking with good ole boy tradition.

Yes many cities including Atlanta were burnt to the ground in the civil war but they were rebuilt. What really hurt the South was urban renewal in the 50s and 60s and car culture never looked back. Almost every Northern city was also burnt down in great fires, its really not an excuse anymore. Its quite irresponsible environmentally. Warsaw was entirely blown up, worse than any Southern city, and is right back to where it was. Its more about culture than anything else. Prove me wrong.

All hail the Yankee race, creators of all that is good and just in America, except the Declaration Of Independence (T. Jefferson, VA), the US Constitution (James Madison, VA), the first President (G. Washington, VA), etc, etc.  As to cities, have you ever been to Savannah, Richmond, Charleston?  All of these are well designed, beautiful, very genteel cities.  They dont have a brutalist skyline, but they are quite nice.  As to Miami, I dont even think that is part of America anymore, much less Yankee.  Still, I bow before your benevolent dictatorship.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course, they are all beautiful cities with beautiful architecture that didn't start tearing down their buildings for parking lots. They are very fortunate.

Yes many cities including Atlanta were burnt to the ground in the civil war but they were rebuilt.  What really hurt the South was urban renewal in the 50s and 60s and car culture never looked back.  Almost every Northern city was also burnt down in great fires, its really not an excuse anymore.  Its quite irresponsible environmentally.  Warsaw was entirely blown up, worse than any Southern city, and is right back to where it was.  Its more about culture than anything else.  Prove me wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think urban renewal had more to do with economics, than culture. Booming cities after WWII had ample money to attempt urban renewal projects, during that time, while older cities, built on manufacturing, were declining and didn't have the "luxury" to do these things, thus their old and decayed buildings remained.

Yes many cities including Atlanta were burnt to the ground in the civil war but they were rebuilt.  What really hurt the South was urban renewal in the 50s and 60s and car culture never looked back.  Almost every Northern city was also burnt down in great fires, its really not an excuse anymore.  Its quite irresponsible environmentally.  Warsaw was entirely blown up, worse than any Southern city, and is right back to where it was.  Its more about culture than anything else.  Prove me wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awww, do I hafta ?

All hail the Yankee race, creators of all that is good and just in America, except the Declaration Of Independence (T. Jefferson, VA), the US Constitution (James Madison, VA), the first President (G. Washington, VA), etc, etc.

• 1 month later...

northern cities.....

*cough* trees *cough*

tallahassee might have been fortunately untouched by the North because we dont have a port... or a major theme park. thank you thank you... instead we have hills and trees that should make the rest of florida wake up with wet sheets...

where is the place to vote for tally town as the best skyline any way... i am so just kidding

northern cities.....

*cough*  trees  *cough*

tallahassee might have been fortunately untouched by the North because we dont have a port... or a major theme park.  thank you thank you... instead we have hills and trees that should make the rest of florida wake up with wet sheets...

where is the place to vote for tally town as the best skyline any way...  i am so just kidding

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: LoL.

I still say Tampa.

:rofl: LoL.

I still say Tampa.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uuhh!!! OK! Don't let me catch you on the streets!

We're still working on our downtown...

184059_320_art_R0.jpg

I wish we did have a theme park or some sort of major recreation. How in the heck do we not have a park but lil Valdosta does.

Uuhh!!! OK! Don't let me catch you on the streets!

We're still working on our downtown...

184059_320_art_R0.jpg

I wish we did have a theme park or some sort of major recreation. How in the heck do we not have a park but lil Valdosta does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't get me wrong I am from Tallahassee too and I see the potential for our downtown area, but right now Tampa's downtown has got it going on. They downtown area is still growing too!

Actually, Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville are all having a huge DT growth so we are all still working on our Downtowns.

Emporis: (which really needs to be updated for Jacksonville, badly)

Tampa:

16 approved

7 under construction

4 proposed

Orlando:

13 approved

12 proposed

12 under construction

Jacksonville: (missing over 20 projects and my emails are going unanswered)

7 under construction

5 proposed

Tallahassee:

1 under construction

1 approved

1 proposed

Good luck. After becoming a subscription website, they are far from responsive. Since 2000 I have never gotten a reply from them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I emailed them a few months ago well after ground broke on Peninsula broke ground and he replied and updated but since then, no action and I've sent some very detailed emails with valid links to make it a quick job of updating. I've thought about asking them if I could fill in just for Jacksonville and keep it up to date but I get the feeling they either won't repsond or don't allow freelancing (even free freelancing).

Actually, Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville are all having a huge DT growth so we are all still working on our Downtowns.

Emporis: (which really needs to be updated for Jacksonville, badly)

Tampa:

16 approved

7  under construction

4  proposed

Orlando:

13 approved

12 proposed

12 under construction

Jacksonville: (missing over 20 projects and my emails are going unanswered)

7 under construction

5 proposed

Tallahassee:

1 under construction

1 approved

1 proposed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im not sure of the other Cities... but for Tallahassee the numbers should read..

3 Under Construction:

The Tennyson

Tallahassee Center (Gameday Centers )

The Cloisters

2 Ground Breaking Soon:

The Kleman Tower

417 Park

5 Approved:

The Symphony (ADAR)

The Village (ADAR)

College Park Condominiums

Marriott Convention Center Hotel