Raleigh-Durham Ranked Top 10 for Creative Class

urban designer

NC, in general, is a remarkable place for the "creative class". Pick your place. You can't go wrong, IMHO. Asheville, Winston, Chapel Hell, Durham, Wilmington...I put NC up against any state for this kind of diversity any day. IMHO, North Carolinians spend way too much time beating each other up (regionally) instead of stopping for a moment, standing in awe of what we have, and then moving forward to kick some ass.

The posers on this site from Georgia, Chicago, Minneapolis, Boston, and San Francisco haven't got a clue about NC, but this is an asset. The quiet man will succeed when others have run fallow.

Here's the report on the top on cities for the Creative Class...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big THANKS to Cityboi for bringing this to the fore...

Triangle Ranks As Top Area For 'Creative Class'

Author: Creativity Key To Triangle's Success

POSTED: 8:29 a.m. EDT October 9, 2003

UPDATED: 10:48 a.m. EDT October 9, 2003

RALEIGH, N.C. -- It seems the Triangle is at the top of every list imaginable. It is called one of the best places to live and the economy has been praised. Now, the area is being touted as a hotbed of creativity in a new book.

Author Richard Florida said the N.C. Museum of Art's plans for an art park are the kind of thing that continues to attract the best and brightest to the region.

The book, "The Rise of the Creative Class," ranks the Triangle among the top 6 cities and regions in the country for being the kind of place that attracts creative people.

The author was in Raleigh this week to point to one prime example of what puts the area near the top.

THE TRIANGLE

What Makes The Triangle A Great Place To Live & Work? Tell Us What You Think

The North Carolina Museum of Art unveiled plans for a new art park on 164 acres surrounding the museum. When complete, the park will be the first of its kind in the country.

Author Richard Florida said the museum's plans are the kind of thing that continues to attract the best and brightest to the region.

"The ability to combine outdoor recreational assets with art and a kind of creative stimulation is an enormous plus. If you can connect that with your urban fabric through trails and green ways, you have a big win-win," Florida said.

Many who visit existing walking trails agree.

"This really will be a magnet for all kinds of people and I just think it's incredible," resident Kelly Branson said.

Florida defines the "creative class" as more than just musicians, artists and writers. He includes research scientists, software engineers at SAS Institute (shown) and anyone who uses creativity as a key factor in their work.

Florida defines the "creative class" as more than just musicians, artists and writers. He includes research scientists, software engineers at SAS Institute and anyone who uses creativity as a key factor in their work.

In the Triangle, Florida said the creative class accounts for two-thirds of the economy. Catering to their lifestyle interests, he claims, is vital to the region's future.

"And that will position you to compete better for people, generate more companies and grow your economy," Florida said.

Gone are the days when metro areas can count on big companies attracting people, according to Florida. He said now it is creative pools of talent that attract employers and cultural amenities that attract and retain the economy's movers and shakers.

"Certainly, what we're doing here is creating a great natural resource and recreational resource that we think will appeal to what he has labeled as the 'creative class of people,'" said Larry Wheeler, N.C. Museum of Art director.

In the book, the Triangle, ranked No. 6, is in company with cities like Chicago, Washington D.C., Boston and New York.

The author points to Chapel Hill's No. 6 ranking in Rolling Stone magazine as the best college music scene in the country as another example of what sets the area apart.

Oh UrbanDesigner. You seriously need to grow up. You have gone out of your way to start beef with people who questioned your claims. You took offense to it and then started ripping on them and their respected cities. I never said one negative thing about Charlotte. Instead, I questioned a figure which you used to boost the city and in return, you started getting all defensive. Now you are calling on others to get involved in a mess which you created? I feel sorry for you man. Charlotte is a great place, but unfortunately others who haven't had the chance to visit the city are already turned off because of people like you.

Yes monsoon I'm quite fascinated by Charlotte's growth, it's skyline and a few of its people. However, I'm even more fascinated by 30 or more cities. It's just that I like to read some the comments from a certain few who represent the Queen city. So, now it's your turn to respond by telling me how cold Minneapolis is and/or compare the two cities or metros.

Many times people conveniently forget their tact, and get some sense of satisfaction out of belittling someone else's statement. In a way, it is "bully" behavior. I really hate bullys with a passion. I've had a soft spot for the "underdog" ever since 7th grade, when I saved the "class nerd" from a group of such bullys. Of course, my actions got me suspended among other things, but anyway...

More than likely it stems from serious issues with self-confidence and acceptance (generally speaking). When called on their rude behavior, they act like nothing is wrong, and that they are the victims, and sometimes even resort to personal attacks or backhanded remarks, subtle or otherwise.

Here is a simplified example:

Person X: I just got new contacts. I was wearing green ones, but these are blue and I think they look better.

Person Y: Blue contacts suck my left nut and you're UGLY!

Person X: Hey cocksucker, why did you just say that? What the hell is wrong with you? Who are you to tell me about colored contact lenses? F*ck you!

Person Y: Jesus Christ! All I said was that those blue contacts you're wearing don't look as nice as the green ones. What the f*ck! Is everyone from your hometown all freakin jumpy like you??

If you met the person on the street, it is unlikely they would ever speak to you in that fashion, unless they lack simple common sense. In fact, such people are usually quite shy in person.

That's why I prefer meeting people in person... It keeps everything honest, and usually quite civil. If there is a problem in person, more than likely it is much worse on the internet.

All that is very true, but it doesn't really have anything to do with asking someone a question. I asked a question due to the fact that I was curious and in return, my city and its residents were attacked and I was personally attacked as well. I admit that I didn't handle things properly, but what can you do? Do I think I'm the victim? No, because I acted in the same immature manner as the other individual. However, I don't want to continue because of the fact that it (the behavior) has negative affects. But it does annoy me that you can't ask someone a question or be somewhat sarcastic without being shot down.

I agree. There is no dark cloud hovering over SSA. This is a friendly place where any potential problems are cleared away swiftly and in a civil manner. By comparison, SSC and SSP are like the Shoney's mens room urinals... They need a janitor at times.

Sometimes I cannot believe how some people react to certain statements. Though it is pointless to discuss here, I'd like to offer some advice that would have probably avoided the fifty-eleven pages of bashing that occured on SSC.

If who's-it (Dampyre?) had responded with "Charlotte does have a strong banking presence, but I don't believe the claim that it is the 2nd largest financial center"... instead of the rather bitter and belittling statement he made, I think everyone would've been a lot happier.

It is amazing that people can make a really rude and irrational statement and NOT expect an equal response. In fact, they get offended by the response! What is all that about?

An insult is an insult, no matter how much potpourri you use to dress it up. I wish everyone would try to remember that.

If who's-it (Dampyre?) had responded with "Charlotte does have a strong banking presence, but I don't believe the claim that it is the 2nd largest financial center"... instead of the rather bitter and belittling statement he made, I think everyone would've been a lot happier.

It is amazing that people can make a really rude and irrational statement and NOT expect an equal response. In fact, they get offended by the response! What is all that about?

I don't really care what Dampyre said. It's what others have said. There was a thread started which asked if Charlotte was overrated. A great majority said no and agreed that it's a nice place, which it is. However, everyone who stated that it was nice also directed their negative comments to a 38yr. old man who is causing a lot of tension over there right now. A man who has made irrational statements and couldn't handle the response. Hell, look what was said about a few people at the beginning of this thread.

Archived