Roanoke development

StevenRocks

Are you talking about StevenRocks?

Yeap! He hasn't accepted the job due to various reasons right now, but more than likely sometime soon, well see one of our fellow Urban Planet members be in this postition, which happens to be the one and only Stevenrocks aka Steven S. Congrats man!

Edited by weill

Also everybody congratulate Steven for getting accepted as the Planning and Zoning Administrator for the City of Roanoke!
Actually it's Development and Building Coordinator :D I mistyped my blog entry. Thanks Weill!

Are you talking about StevenRocks? Well congrats on that perilous journey Mr. Swain! That is a tough job but I bet its rewarding.
Thanks Russ :) I'm looking forward to this.

Not to mention, he might could have a say at what some of us Roanokers want. Maybe not, but cool nonetheless.
Not at first, but we will see what happens in time :)

I'm glad the city is planning to build more parking. Check out this article about Norfolk's parking deck development and its related benefits. times dispatch- parking deck Roanoke should definitely make sure that all future parking decks are designed so that additional floors of commercial/residential can be built above them.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice if the feds could kick in enough money to renovate the City Market Building. It's a treasure that needs some upkeep.

You can thank one of its former landlords (*cough*Fralin*cough*Waldron*cough) for much of the deterioration.

WSLS reports that City Council just now voted (11:20 pm) to close Loudon and part of 1st Street permantly to vechicaler traffic so the Social Secrity building can go up, which requires a 50 foot buffer zone. Developers promise that the 50 foot area will be open to pedistrians, with possibly a urban mall.

Carilion is also now known as Carilion Clinic.

Victory Stadium to be giving away free bricks.

Cave Spring getting it's first highrise. Ok so it's a grain tower but it still looks kind of cool at night. This is the replacement for the Roanoke City Mills that will be torn down to make room for the biomedical park.

new_mill.jpg

Amazing how fast this thing went up. It wasn't there Saturday night. I remember reading a month or so ago that they needed a noise ordinance waiver to work around the clock because the whole thing had to be poured at once to make it watertight. If I don't have too rough a night at work I'll try to get some better shots of it after work. I wasn't expecting it tonight but when I was leaving work and saw it glowing in the distance I had to pull over and take a few photos.

Yeah that's where it is. This view is from Penn Forest Elementary. I think to actually get to it you would have to turn off of Starkey where the fuel depot is. I can't remember the name of the road.

As for the old one I guess the lots will sit empty for awhile until it's needed. According to the site plan that side of Jefferson isn't even in the master plan. Site facts PDF I would like to see them save the largest of the towers there, the rectangle one that has windows, and convert it into condos like what's been done in other cities. But I don't know if that's feasable from an engineering point of view or if the market would support such a plan.

WSLS reports that City Council just now voted (11:20 pm) to close Loudon and part of 1st Street permantly to vechicaler traffic so the Social Secrity building can go up, which requires a 50 foot buffer zone. Developers promise that the 50 foot area will be open to pedistrians, with possibly a urban mall.
Well, there goes Henry Street. :(