Roanoke development

StevenRocks

I didn't make it over there so no photos of the area yet. You can go to this page and download a brief site plan with a couple drawings on it. Here's the basics though:

27 acres

8 buildings

3 parking garages

1.1 million square feet of rental space

Initial Construction

Riverside 1

55,000 square feet

Office-type space

Construction begins in late summer, 2005

Riverside 2

50,000 square feet

Laboratory and office space (for Carilion Consolidated Laboratory)

Construction begins in early fall, 2005

Also in that neighborhood a new condo development is planned.

Planned condos already selling

"At least 50 percent of the condominiums already have been sold in a new high-end condo complex that is yet to go up in South Roanoke.

Westwin of Roanoke, a company owned by Jim Body and Winter Hodges, is building the Fairfax, a 39-unit condo project at the corner of South Jefferson Street and Yellow Mountain Road, in a parking lot that it purchased from Carilion Health System.

Twenty-seven condos have been pre-sold there, said Blair Godsey, vice president of Westwin.

He said construction should be complete by December 2006 on the $23 million project."

What's the latest on the proposed Art Museum?  Is it, hopefully,  going forward? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're set to break ground next month. There was a minor controversy over the removal of a historic building on the site, but a comprimise was reached whrere the facade from that building would be saved and moved to another part of the building site so that the new building construction could go forward.

They're set to break ground next month.  There was a minor controversy over the removal of a historic building on the site, but a comprimise was reached whrere the facade from that building would be saved and moved to another part of the building site so that the new building construction could go forward.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great news! I was sure the battle would rage on for months before a watered-down design finally won out. Congratulations, Roanoke :)

Great news!  I was sure the battle would rage on for months before a watered-down design finally won out.  Congratulations, Roanoke :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Luckily, you can't graft shutters and coach lamps on a design like that :lol: , and plus, they had a bunch of money raised for the construction.

The success of the Market Square area's makeover is expanding to the rest of downton ever so slowly, but it is expanding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm from Rke, and still visit my family in Southwest and Salem, but I've not been downtown in a long time. What have they done besides making Salem Ave 2-way?

I'm from Rke, and still visit my family in Southwest and Salem, but I've not been downtown in a long time. What have they done besides making Salem Ave 2-way?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't been downtown in a couple months either, so I can't say exactly, but if I remember correctly, both Salem and Campbell Avenues are two-way now and there's some facade renovations and tenant build-outs going on. Nothing else major, as far as I know right now.

Edited by StevenRocks

I was talking to a friend the other day and a building he owned on Salem Ave is going to be converted to condos. A developer from NY bought it. It's the old Iroquois nightclub building. The city just started razing the buildings next door to build a parking garage for the jail and the Salem Ave side of the garage is supposed to have retail space.

Considering the amount of time and money I've spent inside the Iroquois Club and it's various other incarnations I should claim some sort of squatter's rights and get a free condo. :alc:

• 4 weeks later...