Roanoke development

StevenRocks

im not sure but urbanplanet's own RoanokeFound states, "The Slate Hill project is alleged to be a "high-end, upscale retail area" with the promise of stores, a hotel, restaurants.. the whole 9. All they are constructing are the access points, roads, and the concrete pads for the nonexistant lease-holders."

A run down on each area

Elmwood Area:

First-Class Park

New Library

New Linear Housing

New Housing

Medical Office Building

Bullit Ave Extension

New Office Tower

Church Avenue Area

Parking Garage

Apartments in Heironimus Building

New Fire Station

Mixed Use Building

E-Town/E-Square (Warehouse Row)

E-Square Lofts

E-Square Townhouses

Renovated Cambell Street Buildings

Grand Buidling Apartments

First Street Bridge

Higher Center Education Expansion

Market Building Area

IMAX Theatre

Hotel

2-way Streets all over

Jefferson Center Area

Public Square

Residential Infill

Cotton Mill

Parking Garage

New YMCA

Across from the main Police Dept. building downtown on Campbell they are converting one of the older buildings into lofts. It's not an area I've had much opportunity to explore or photograph so I have no pics of it - but its on my list.

The Vision 2020 plan has allready reshaped the future of Roanoke. The first massive change that came about was rezoning the entire city. Because of it, more duplexes in residential areas are up for sale, and if you buy a duplex in the city and convert it back to single family - you get 10 years tax breaks. Add another 10 for each level of multi-family you convert back to single.

I saw a Quadplex - no kidding, just a house - carved up. That would have been 40 years of tax breaks. And easily $40,000 worth of work to refurbish it.

Biggest problem right now is the "flipped" homes. Im currently looking for a home in the target price range of a few flips - and I can attest to people getting sick of doing the work and just wanting to sell. A 3/4ths flip is still a 3/4ths flip - not fully done. Yet they expect to get full price for it. Spec real estate is a dangerous game, and flipping is no different. Eventually, the market will be flooded with half-flipped houses. This has to be played extremely carefully or we will wind up with illegal rentals under the new zoning.

not early, just well. I like to see road - and after the ice storm we had back the beginning of winter, the dividing line under the 220 overpass was pathetically noticeable. City roads were clear, crystal clear - while county was a wreck waiting to happen.

Sorry - Im from NY, I know its not that hard to clear a road, or at least make the driving conditions acceptable.

Queens-Nassau Border - mere inches from the wheels of planes landing at JFK airport.

And whats wrong with the city schools? Im hearing alot of the same arguements and complaints about the schools, but no one is suggesting a fix. And remember, Im a product of the worst school system imagineable, so it takes alot for me to consider them bad.

SOL? You want to really test these kids and stress the system - switch to the NY Regents program. Arcane, outmoded, and ultimately useless - basically its like giving a double-final at the end of the year. One for what you learned in class, and one for everything you have learned on that topic your whole life. The only reason I ever did well on them was because a. I could write, and b. I am an avid reader.

Standardized testing is no real indication, and in some cases, more of a detriment to the school system. Then again, yall have this image problem as it is - advertising on tv and radio about how half the state doesn't have a high school diploma. Yeah, thats gonna get businesses to move here.

How about ads offering the GED program, and making it look attractive, like something thats worthwhile?

Too easy I guess.

Sorry, I've got a brain for PR and Advertising. I always get to know my target market, its like a sickness.

Thats because County spends next to nothing on services, whereas the city provides services the county never would. Like public transit, frequent garbage collection, curbside recycling. All the things that contribute to the quality of life.

County just gets to sit back and do nothing, and spend the money on laptops and the like for the school kids.

Imbalance? Absolutely, but understandable once you know the reasons why.

Plus - City has more rental properties, which should be no excuse, but people tend to care less about things when they are living in someone elses place. I could tell you stories, but I'll save them for another thread, eventually.

At my last apartment my next door neighbor drove a plow for the city. I never could use the excuse that my street was snowed in to lay out of work. It was always spotless.

The city has started using a chemical mix that they put down before the first flake or ice pellet comes down. I noticed that made a huge difference in those December ice storms.