Roanoke development

StevenRocks

I was asking about if there were plans for an expansion of arts venues in Hampton Roads such as the Chrysler Museum....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only thing i can really think of is the performing arts center in Va. Beach, which is going to be located next to the Westin.

Looking at the pic posted the museum seems to stand alone and therefore I think it looks great!

However I saw the following picture on another message board and this is what I fould troublesome about this building:

ribbon2.jpg

This is what I said about it in that forum:

"While I love art museums and think that this space may serve as a boon to Roanoke's creative class, I do wonder about the design. The thing about buildings such as this is that they are difficult to integrate into a vibrant streetscape. They detach themselves from the street and therefore they don't often belong on streets. Buildings such as this seem to belong in prominent, visible positions, of course, but I'm skeptical about in the middle of a downtown neighborhood. Think of the Sydney opera house as an example.

Though often critical I am not always opposed to buildings like this one. You just have to think (A) does it take away from the streetscape? (B) how will we think the bloody thing looks in 10 or 20 years? and © is there a design more appropriate for this location or a location more appropriate for this design?"

"While I love art museums and think that this space may serve as a boon to Roanoke's creative class, I do wonder about the design. The thing about buildings such as this is that they are difficult to integrate into a vibrant streetscape. They detach themselves from the street and therefore they don't often belong on streets. Buildings such as this seem to belong in prominent, visible positions, of course, but I'm skeptical about in the middle of a downtown neighborhood. Think of the Sydney opera house as an example.

Though often critical I am not always opposed to buildings like this one. You just have to think (A) does it take away from the streetscape? (B) how will we think the bloody thing looks in 10 or 20 years? and

Edited by StevenRocks

StevenRocks- Hey I noticed you have an interest in malls. Have you heard of the dying Cloverleaf Mall in Chesterfield County? It's almost vacant. All the anchors are gone. Only a few stores inside. Thought it might be a good addition to the photo journal. Hurry though, the county has plans to tear it down and put a 70+ acre urban mixed use development in its place. Work will start after the leases run out, which is at the end of the year.

Hurry though, the county has plans to tear it down and put a 70+ acre urban mixed use development in its place. Work will start after the leases run out, which is at the end of the year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it's good to here that they are at least planning on doing something about it. I am unfamiliar with the Chesterfield area. Whats their population and whats the nearest major/main city.

Well, it's good to here that they are at least planning on doing something about it. I am unfamiliar with the Chesterfield area. Whats their population and whats the nearest major/main city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chesterfield county is the largest locality in the Richmond MSA (pop. of over 290,000 by now I believe). It's south of the city. Cloverleaf was a mall that opened in the 70's but over the years more competition has dealt a fatal blow to its success. Since it is at a gateway to chesterfield, the county realized how important the property was and decided to do something about it. Tear it all down and starting anew is the best thing that could have happened, and hopefully it will not only transform the mall property, but the areas around it. (this isnt really about the Roanoke art museum but I had noticed Stevenrocks interest in malls and I knew he was from SW VA)

StevenRocks- Hey I noticed you have an interest in malls. Have you heard of the dying Cloverleaf Mall in Chesterfield County? It's almost vacant. All the anchors are gone. Only a few stores inside. Thought it might be a good addition to the photo journal. Hurry though, the county has plans to tear it down and put a 70+ acre urban mixed use development in its place. Work will start after the leases run out, which is at the end of the year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, sorry to take so long to get back to you! I wasn't paying attention to my own thread :blush:

Anyway, I've considred taking photos of Cloverleaf Mall but I haven't had a chance to get down that way this year. That may change soon.

In the meantime, I posted some thoughts on Cloverleaf Mall in the Rchmond Retail thread that you may enjoy reading:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...topic=10212&hl=

• 2 months later...

I think that it will help change the landscape there. Do they have any plans for any high rises in Roanoke? Anything close to the 20 story range?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, to my knowledge there are no highrises planned for Roanoke in the future. It's a pleasant downtown, but the last new tall building was completed in 1992.

Edited by StevenRocks

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's fairly sad in Roanoke these days, IMO. With the wonderful and cheerful news in the Roanoke Times stating that the population of Roanoke would be in the 80,000 range in a few years, coming from an all-time high of around 107,000....the City Gov't is one of the worst in the US, imo. That along with uneployment numbers make Roanoke into a slowly dying city, IMO, unless something major changes very soon.

I was asking about if there were plans for an expansion of arts venues in Hampton Roads such as the Chrysler Museum....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No expansions, just more new preforming arts venues. Virginia Beach is getting ready to build its preforming arts theatre and Ferguson Center for the arts is just wrapping up its construction. The Ferguson Center for the arts is a very large arts venue at Christopher Newport University. 200,000 sq. ft. devoted just to teaching and learning and practice spaces for the arts, also a 1,700 seat auditorium for performances and a smaller 500 seat auditorium for smaller performances. There will also be mock practice auditoriums to allow students to practice in an area that will be similiar to the stage without actually using the stage. This will allow for the centers to book more shows without affecting any practices. It really is a magnificent building and the atrium glass foyer structure is going up now and is quite impressive. Nothing like it exists in the area. No need to expand old venues when you have such impressive venues coming online. B)

Check it out here

Edited by urbanfan

• 2 weeks later...

What's the latest word on the Museum of Southwest Virginia in Roanoke?  Is it still a "go"?

Like it (and I do) or hate it, the museum will put Roanoke on the cultural maps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Still on schedule. The fund raising is picking up and the contoversy is dying down somewhat. Hopefully they break ground in the fall.

Still on schedule.  The fund raising is picking up and the contoversy is dying down somewhat.  Hopefully they break ground in the fall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was a stupid letter to the editor in Sunday's paper about it.

I'm excited about it. Can't wait for construction to start although it will take my parking spot that I always use on Saturday nights when I go the Tavern on the Market.

• 3 weeks later...