Roanoke development

StevenRocks

I didn't make it to the groundbreaking.

On this map the art museum will be at the intersection of Salem Ave SE and Williamson Rd in the odd shaped lot on the north side. The Jefferson Center is a couple blocks west up Campbell Ave beyond what's shown in this map.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK. I think I see it - the lot that looks like a boat that's practically on the railroad tracks. Is the Roanoke Hotel just across the tracks from there, and isn't Square in the Circle and the old market adjacent?

Can't figure out where Jefferson Center is, but thanks for clarifying most of this, monk.

• 1 month later...

Unknown Roanoke project, to me anyway. Last weekend I was getting ready to take some photos from downtown of the full moon and I saw this building and have no idea what it is. This is looking towards the northeast.

closeup.jpg

from_downtown.jpg

Saw that in my viewfinder and was like where the hell did that come from? Anyone here know?

I'll put the moon photos in the Roanoke photos thread.

Haven't heard about any new towers yet but I would definitely welcome them if it's for real.

I think with Alright Parking pulling out of Roanoke there's all sorts of speculation about what is going to happen with their lots. I just hope whatever does go on them is architecturally interesting.

There's finally some movement at Tanglewood. A new department store is going to move into the old Brendle's space and a few other new stores are leasing some other vacant spots at the mall.

Edited by electricmonk

I'm just glad something's coming to Tanglewood Mall.

I think another hot area for redevelopment will be the Franklin Rd.-Wonju St. intersection. Ukrop's is going in on one corner, and the other corner has a Chrysler-Plymouth dealership that was recently sold to one of the larger local auto conglomerates. I figure that conglomerate will move the Chyrslers to their main complex and open the land up for something potentially nicer.

I'm just glad something's coming to Tanglewood Mall.

I think another hot area for redevelopment will be the Franklin Rd.-Wonju St. intersection. Ukrop's is going in on one corner, and the other corner has a Chrysler-Plymouth dealership that was recently sold to one of the larger local auto conglomerates. I figure that conglomerate will move the Chyrslers to their main complex and open the land up for something potentially nicer.

Good luck on the possible developments!

• 4 weeks later...

that's so crazy that a Ukrop's is going to be in Roanoke... you guys will be pleased!

As a former Roanoker-turned-Richmonder, I'm not so sure. While visiting over Thanksgiving, I heard several people griping over the "high prices" at Fresh Market; I suspect Ukrops will be just as high, if not higher. I also suspect Ukrops' no-alcohol policy and being closed on Sunday will hurt them. I don't think it will flop, but it's not going to be then runaway success that some people seem to assume.

that's so crazy that a Ukrop's is going to be in Roanoke... you guys will be pleased!

I've been in UKrops and still don't see what is so great about them? They aren't all that.

I think that Roanoke needs someone to come up with their own grocery store that is very nice and keep it regional for them.

We have a wegmans around fairfax, It's amazing! it is set up like a european street with sections that are like "shops" specializing in breads, cakes, pastas, sushi, and specific cultures like asian, french, and alot of others. They have the top section as seating for a restaurant they have in the store, where you can look over the "street". I think it was voted one of if not the best places to work.

We have a wegmans around fairfax, It's amazing! it is set up like a european street with sections that are like "shops" specializing in breads, cakes, pastas, sushi, and specific cultures like asian, french, and alot of others. They have the top section as seating for a restaurant they have in the store, where you can look over the "street". I think it was voted one of if not the best places to work.

A friend of mine that actually lives in Fairfax was telling me about this place. He said if I came up it would be worth checking out. :lol: