Roanoke development

StevenRocks

I read a story in the Roanoke times about this as well. But the writer seemed to frame this bit of news as a challenge for Roanoke city leaders to quit bickering and work together to secure Toyotas establishment here. But the news seemed to indicate that Toyota was looking OUTSIDE of Roanoke, probably in Botetourt, Franklin, Bedford or maybe Henry or Pulaski county. Who knows what 'outside' of Roanoke means coming from a company based in Japan. While it is great news, I kind of doubt that Roanoke city leaders will have too much sway on Toyota's decision.

I agree that this would benefit many localities outside the one where the facility would be located. There is a regional entity, called 'NewVA' which is focused on promoting the greater Roanoke area without using Roanoke specifically in the name (which would show bias). I wonder what this group is doing right now to impress Toyota?

There's nowhere in the city limits large enough for an auto plant so it would definitely be in one of the surrounding counties.

Franklin would have the benefit of a large labor pool because it's close to Martinsville and other southside areas that have lost 1000's of manufactuing jobs. Bedford could draw from both Roanoke and Lychburg. Botetourt has the best transportation options; close to the airport, rail and I-81 plus a few car part manufaturers already. Pulaski has a Volvo truck plant so there is a potentially trained labor force there for them to poach from.

So they all have some positives for Toyota to chose from if they pick this area.

<_< Roanoke Times article today suggests the plant could be located as far away as northern Augusta county or Wythe county. Either of those locations is an hour and a half away, hardly the Roanoke area. Another likely spot was northern botetourt or southern Rockbridge. Personally I think the best spot would be on the Roanoke/Montgomery county line south of I81 and north of 460/11. It has easy interstate access and is close to rail and it could draw workers from the Roanoke and New river valleys. There's no large industrial park there, but there is a large tract of relatively flat, cleared land. Too bad I can't be in charge of where Toyota locates. :cry:

Maybe if Toyota and the county offer all west county residents their choice of a free Land Cruiser, 4Runner or Prius, the residents will change their tune.
I'll bet they could offer them Tacomas and do just as well. It used to be that every other male under 35 in Southwest Virginia had a Toyota Tacoma. :lol:

Yeah you're right, and a lot of them still do. I've never had much of a taste for pickups; I think my parents prejudiced me against them, along with Pro-wresting and monster trucks. But I'd take a free Tacoma in a heartbeat, along with some free tickets to a WWF match and a monster truck rally. I'm always up for trying something new. :D

A Roanoke times article suggests that the Roanoke region (should I call it NewVA?) will get attention from other large manufacturers, just from the buzz created by Toyota mentioning as a possible site, even if they end up locating in another state.

http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/61553

I read the blurb and it seems like this type of facility should go at the biomedical park. It's essentially just lab space that can be rented out to companys to run experiments. Why not just call it a 'lab shell building'? Maybe 'wet' connotes a finality in the stage of the process, as opposed to a 'dry run'.

Some photos of projects going on. I didn't put too much effort into composition or anything so these are basically just snapshots.

Site of the new fire station headquarters.

DSC_0001.jpg

Claude Moore Education Complex location of the new culinary institute.

DSC_0005.jpg

Dumas Center restoration.

DSC_0007.jpg

Another part of the culinary institute. The bulding will be built around the fragments of brick walls left standing from the original structure so it qualifies for historic preservation credits.

DSC_0008.jpg

Civic Center Convention hall expansion.

DSC_0013.jpg

Another view.

DSC_0016.jpg

From the Performing Arts Center side.

DSC_0018.jpg

Wider view.

DSC_0019.jpg

Old Virginia Railway Station that will hopefully be restored some day.

DSC_0021.jpg

Biomedical Park building.

DSC_0022.jpg

Site of the proposed hotel at the biomedical park complex

DSC_0024.jpg

Fairfax condos.

DSC_0026.jpg

Fairfax condos.

DSC_0034.jpg

Hospital expansion nearing completion.

DSC_0036.jpg

Ukrops site.

DSC_0039.jpg

Ukrops site.

DSC_0043.jpg

The Finks center. Don't know the official name of it

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

Looks like a (potentially) gated community of million dollar homes has been approved for SE Roanoke County. I wasn't aware before reading this article that an exclusive golf course is under construction in the same area. With a 75,000 membership fee and $2,400 annual dues, that better be one nice golf course. That part of Roanoke County is unique because it is pretty close to downtown but seems quite rural due to the lack of roads and steep terrain separating it from the city. Most of the Mt. Pleasant area is less than 5 miles from downtown. Explore park is in that general area as well and who knows what might go on there with the new developer keeping his plans secret.

Yeah, I'm really curious about what will happen with the Explore Park area. Not to sure about this developer. He seems very secretive about plans. Might be smart given the propensity of people to fight any development that doesn't fit their own personal vision around here. Still, I wish he would give some idea of what his vision is for the place.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see this until today. A study is underway to possibly locate wind farms on Bent and Poor Mtns.

roanoke times

I'm not really sure exactly where the top of Bent Mtn is, but Poor Mountains summit already has dozens of radio towers and a gravel road and power line traversing the entire ridgeline. So the construction probably wouldn't have to disrupt many untouched areas of Poor Mtn. I don't know, how it would affect birds and bats in the area. Poor Mtn is the highest peak within at least 20 miles if not 40+. The closest higher peaks are in Giles county I believe.

Unless a convincing study can show that these will kill an unacceptable number of birds and bats, I would support at least the poor mtn. site. After all, it wouldn't really mar the view when the top is already covered w/ radio, tv and cell towers. It would be nice for the Roanoke Valley to be a net producer of electricity.