Local Happenings

provid

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I subscribe to the email newsletter for the city Department of Art Culture & Tourism, you can find the place to sign up, halfway down this page.

The newsletter comes out once a week on Thursday, and lists lots of event going on throughout the city.

Tazza cafe on Westminster Street also has an email newsletter, you can sign up at their website. They list events going on at the cafe, live music and I think they have a movie night, and a Scrabble night.

I subscribe to the email newsletter for the city Department of Art Culture & Tourism, you can find the place to sign up, halfway down this page.

The newsletter comes out once a week on Thursday, and lists lots of event going on throughout the city.

Tazza cafe on Westminster Street also has an email newsletter, you can sign up at their website. They list events going on at the cafe, live music and I think they have a movie night, and a Scrabble night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me and my girlfriend have been to Tazza for lunch.. Awesome..

ProJo has stuff to do.. So does Providence Monthly and Providence Pheonix..

Do you know if RISD or Brown holds any sort of public lectures, group chats or speakers?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They do, some are and and some aren't open to the public. Anything arts related would be in the City Arts Department email. I'd look at their websites for other events. There's also the Brown Daily Herald which you can pick up at some places on the East Side. It's also online, it's only published when school is in session though.

Here's where I check for regional events weekly...

- http://www.providencephoenix.com (best organized, in my opinion, updated every Thursday)

- http://www.bostonphoenix.com (the same, just for Boston)

- http://www.providenceonline.com (home of Providence Monthly and East Side Monthly, which both have excellent calendars)

- http://www.projo.com (I find their online events section to be badly organized... Pick up the Thursday print edition for their Weekend section, which, oddly, IS very well organized)

- http://www.browndailyherald.com/

- http://www.rhodeislandmonthly.com (I browse their print edition, which always has events in the whole state the more city oriented publications will miss)

- http://www.ossingles.com (Ocean State Singles... A grass roots singles group just for getting people together, not dating, that has lots of good events and conversation...)

Many special interest publications in the area have their own calendars. For example, the Jewish Voice and Herald has an excellent calendar of events in every issue. Cotuit already mentioned the City Arts Department E-mail.

One interesting event is Sarah Chang will be playing with the Rhode Island Philharmonic at the VMA this Saturday. For those who haven't heard her, she's tremendous.

Perhaps we should have a monthly urban planet gathering? :-)

- Garris

PS: Cotuit, do you have all those links in your Providence database?

There's often things going on at the Convention Centre too. I love the Home Show, and the Fine Furnishings Show.

Home Show set for March 2 to 6

The Home Show at the Rhode Island Convention Center has been scheduled for March 2 to 6.

"Build. Remodel. Redecorate." is the theme of the show, a tradition for more than 55 years. More than 300 exhibitors will display their products and showcase the latest trends in building, remodeling, decorating and technology.

The show will run from 2 to 10 pm. Wednesday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $10 for adults, $7 for seniors and $3 for kids age 6 to 12. Children under 5 are free.

The R.I. Builders Association owns and operates the Home Show.

For more information: http://www.ribahomeshow.com .

From Providence Business News

goprovidence.com lists events at the Convention Centre and many other events in the state.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

lounge toasts smoking ban

"On Monday February 28th tazza caffe and lounge toasts the eve of the

smoking ban with all the swagger and elegance of New York City's legendary

Cotton Club. Indulge the decadent flair of Duke Ellington's roaring

twenties with a sumptuous six course meal designed and prepared by Chef

Joe Pietrzak, live burlesque by Lady Miss Iris, and Jazz by Eric Bloom and

Minor Swing. Dress to the nines and bring a taste for

such delicacies as the Vildalia Onion Tartlet with melted Gruyere, or the

New YorkStrip Steak over black eyed peas with a chicory bourbon demi

glace. Champagne and wine offerings included. Festivities uncork at 6pm.

$130 per couple or $75 if you swing alone. Call 421-3300 or stop by tazza

caffe and lounge at 250 Westminster to RSVP by February 25th. A portion of

the proceeds from the door and a silent auction go to benefit the Downtown

Neighborhood Alliance, strengthening our city's center. $15 general

admission without dinner & offerings."

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Columbus Theatre Fundraiser

ColumbusFilm.jpg

March 20, 3:15 PM, Columbus Theatre, 270 Broadway.

See Wim Wender's classic film Wings of Desire on the big screen. A lonely angel roams the streets of Berlin providing comfort to mortals in need. But when he is drawn into the life of a beautiful trapeze artist, he experiences love for the first time and is faced with a choice: give up love or lose his wings forever. Tickets $10, $5 for children (donation). Proceeds to the Friends of the Columbus Theatre Arts Center for restoration of the building.

ComedyFest.gif

March 31 - April 2, Columbus Theatre, 270 Broadway.

Talent search, comic theatre, kid's comedy, improv.... All kinds of comedy will be on display at the 2nd annual Rhode Island Comedy Festival. Featuring Charlie Hall and the Ocean State Follies, stand-up comics Tom Cotter, Al Ducharme and Scott LaRose, and a performance of Now That's Funny! starring Bob Colonna, Jan Mariani and Carl Ruggerio. See the full schedule here. Tickets can be purchased for individual events or the full series.

Waterfire009.jpg

WaterFire

2005 Schedule

• Sat, May 7 | 7:49 | Rhode Island Statehouse Restoration Society

• Sat, May 28 | 8:10 | The Providence Journal Company

• Fri, June 3 | 8:14 | Providence Place

• Sun, June 5 (partial lighting) | 8:16 Friends of WaterFire

• Sat, June 11 | 8:20 | Cox Charities

• Tue, June 21 (partial lighting) | 8:23 | Eastern Seaboard Apprenticeship Conference

• Sat, June 25 | 8:24 | MetLife Auto & Home

• Sat, July 9 | 8:22 | Open MRI of New England

• Sat, July 23 | 8:13 | InSkip Motors

• Sat, Aug 6 | 7:58 | Fidelity Investments

• Sat, Aug 13 | 7:49 | Raytheon Integrated Defense Systems

• Sat, Aug 20 | 7:39 | Amica Mutual Insurance Company

• Sat, Aug 27 | 7:28 | The Washington Trust Company

• Sat, Sept 3 | 7:16 | Working Rhode Island

• Sat, Sept 10 | 7:05 | CVS/pharmacy Downtown 5K

• Sat, Sept 17 | 6:52 | Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation

• Wed, Sept 21 (partial lighting) | 6:45 | New England Mortgage Bankers Association

• Sat, Sept 24 (partial lighting) | 6:40 | Bryant University

• Sat, Oct 1 | 6:28 | Nortek, Inc.

WaterFire.com

With all the construction going on around the basin this summer, I wonder if visitors who don't know about the surge of activity in Providence will be excited, or just annoyed by all the chain link and keep out signs.

Hopefully excited!

this was in my friend's away message

"Lupos:

4/19-senses fail

5/13-papa roach

5/17-billy idol

5/25-sum 41

6/6-the killers

dunkin donuts center:

4/16-taking back sunday/jimmy eat world

5/18-simple plan/ good charlotte

-since when does RI have so many good shows???...."

I agree with her.. some very good shows that will bring in the crowds for sure. Is this a random occurance or a sign of things to come?

• 2 weeks later...

AS220Washington.gif

Tonight! April 21, 5:30 - 7 PM, AS220, 85 Empire Street. AS220 is acquiring the Drefyus Hotel building located at 121 Washington St., and is holding a charrette to gather community input. If you are looking for affordable live/work space, if you are an armchair architect, or if you just want to catch up and jump into the discussion, come on down. Meet at AS220 at 5:30 for a tour of the Dreyfus building. Discussion follows. Free.

Archived