Local Happenings

provid

pcis.gif

May 21, 6 PM - Midnight, 200 Allens Avenue. Join Partnership for Creative Industrial Space (PCIS) for art, music, food, drinks and building tours at Conley's Wharf on Saturday. PCIS is leasing affordable artist workspace at Conley's Wharf, a renovated mill building, in an effort to sustain and nurture our creative community. Tours start at 6:30 pm. Free.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RSA Symposium June 5-7

RSA Symposium Website

Should be an interesting event.

Also, PUENTE and Struever Bros. are hosting a post-symposium trolley and hard hat tour of Valley Street, The Plant (development at 60 Valley Street), and Rising Sun Mills - with a reception at Rising Sun Mills.

So if people are registered for the Symposium, sign up for the trolley tour on Tuesday. Should be fun!

Trinity Rep Warehouse Sale

May 30, 8 AM - 2 PM, Trinity Repertory Company Warehouse, 85 Whipple Street. As Trinity prepares to move their warehouse to a new location, many items need to be sold due to space issues. Sale items range from theatrical props to the contemporary furniture seen in The Merry Wives of Winsor to accessories. Cash or check only - no credit cards.

link

May 30, 8 AM - 2 PM, Trinity Repertory Company Warehouse, 85 Whipple Street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm all the time posting this stuff that I want to actually go to, then forgetting to go. :(

Ah well, I don't have any spare money to be buying other people's junk anyway.

I'm all the time posting this stuff that I want to actually go to, then forgetting to go.  :(

Ah well, I don't have any spare money to be buying other people's junk anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just as long as you have money to pay for dinner when we all meet is all I care about :rofl:

mm_sm.jpg

Farm Fresh RI: Monday Market in Providence

Monday Market

Bringing Freshness to the Heart of Providence - Located in the skating rink next to RIPTA's Kennedy Plaza bus station

Mondays 2-6pm -- opens June 20, 2005

What better way to bring Rhode Island communities together than to invite them to a farmers' market in the heart of our state capital? Join Farm Fresh Rhode Island and Bank of America as we put together Monday Market, a premier venue for locally grown foods and artisan food products to be held in Downtown Providence this coming summer.

By increasing farm viability, increasing access to fresh foods and by bringing economic activity to our State's core, Monday Market is what our community needs!

Please come to the hearing or write letters to make sure the Zoning Board votes **NO** to a Dunkin Donuts drive thru at the Engle Tire location on Broadway!

Dunkin' Donuts has a hearing before the Zoning Board to try to get several variances that will allow:

1. A DRIVE THRU on the corner of Broadway and the service road

2. Partial demolition of the Engle Tire building

3. Relief from several tree planting requirements, including number and location

Tuesday, June 14th at 5 PM

City Hall, Fifth Floor

The Engle Tire site is located at the gateway to the West Broadway neighborhood. Broadway is part of the National Historic District and nearly all of its buildings are considered significant. A drive thru will undermine efforts to create a pedestrian-friendly and walkable neighborhood at an already hazardous intersection for motorists and pedestrians alike.

If a large franchise or a chain wants to move into the neighborhood, we must set high standards for the type of development that is acceptable and be vocal about what is not.

If you can't make it to the hearing, please send a letter with your comments and concerns to:

Ms. Sandra L. Carlson

Chairwoman

Zoning Board of Review

190 Dyer Street

Providence, RI 02903

Thank you.

I'm creating this thread to be seperate from the Local Happenings thread. This is a place to list events/meetings/actions to be taken for critical development and zoning issues (such as the one below from ArtInRuins).

Please come to the hearing or write letters to make sure the Zoning Board votes **NO** to a Dunkin Donuts drive thru at the Engle Tire location on Broadway!

Dunkin' Donuts has a hearing before the Zoning Board to try to get several variances that will allow:

1. A DRIVE THRU on the corner of Broadway and the service road

2. Partial demolition of the Engle Tire building

3. Relief from several tree planting requirements, including number and location

Tuesday, June 14th at 5 PM

City Hall, Fifth Floor

The Engle Tire site is located at the gateway to the West Broadway neighborhood. Broadway is part of the National Historic District and nearly all of its buildings are considered significant. A drive thru will undermine efforts to create a pedestrian-friendly and walkable neighborhood at an already hazardous intersection for motorists and pedestrians alike.

If a large franchise or a chain wants to move into the neighborhood, we must set high standards for the type of development that is acceptable and be vocal about what is not.

If you can't make it to the hearing, please send a letter with your comments and concerns to:

Ms. Sandra L. Carlson

Chairwoman

Zoning Board of Review

190 Dyer Street

Providence, RI 02903

Thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UP people,

Im going to start looking into setting a gallery. My bud got some great photo work from the most unspeakable places around the world, and a great heartfelt story that goes with each photo. I havent had a chance to really look into this yet. Any idea's as to a good place that i could start. His work is reasonable in price, we just want a good location and a community that would embrace the showing...

Thanks in advance

Mij

Ms. Sandra L. Carlson

Chairwoman

Zoning Board of Review

190 Dyer Street

Providence, RI 02903

Thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I won't be able to make this. Does anyone know if she has an e-mail address?

- Garris

UP people,

Im going to start looking into setting a gallery. My bud got some great photo work from the most unspeakable places around the world, and a great heartfelt story that goes with each photo. I havent had a chance to really look into this yet. Any idea's as to a good place that i could start. His work is reasonable in price, we just want a good location and a community that  would embrace the showing...

Thanks in advance

Mij

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's The Space at Alice Downcity. You can volunteer hours to get banked hours to use the space.

Talk about short notice:

Date: June 14th, 2005

For Immediate Release

(401) 421-2489 x 752

[email protected]

MEDIA ADVISORY

SASAKI ASSOCIATES TO PRESENT REVISED "VISION FOR PROVIDENCE 2020" AT COMMUNITY FORUMS

Revisions to framework for future economic development based on community feedback

Providence - Mayor David N. Cicilline announced today that the architectural and urban design firm Sasaki Associates is returning to Providence to present changes to the "Vision for Providence 2020" based on further analysis and feedback from the community forums held in May.

Sasaki Associates will present revisions to the public at two community forums:

Wednesday, June 15th

6:00 p.m.

Bridgham Middle School cafeteria

1655 Westminster Street

Thursday, June 16th

6:00 p.m.

West Broadway Elementary School cafeteria

29 Bainbridge Ave.

ProvidenceRI.com

I have another meeting to go to tomorrow, but I'll be at the Thursday meeting.

Also:

Date: June 14th, 2005

For Immediate Release

(401) 421-2489 x 752

[email protected]

MEDIA ADVISORY

CITY PLANNERS, COMMUNITY LEADERS & DESIGN EXPERTS MAP OUT STRATEGY FOR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ON FEDERAL HILL

Federal Hill Charrette set for June 17 through June 18th

Providence - Mayor David N. Cicilline announced today that the City's Department of Planning & Development and the Rhode Island Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) are hosting an Atwells Avenue Design Charrette to develop a strategy and vision for future economic development in Federal Hill.

The Atwells Avenue Design Charrette is scheduled for Friday, June 17 from 5 p.m.  until 7 p.m. and Saturday, June 18 from 8 a.m. until noon at the former Rialto Furniture store, 333 Atwells Avenue.  Both sessions are open to the public.

Planning and Development Director Tom Deller said the goal of the Charrette is to ensure that, as the city grows and attracts more economic development activity, City planners make smart economic growth decisions that compliment the unique character of the Federal Hill neighborhood.

Architects, planners, preservationists, community and business leaders, and residents will study the I-95 Service Road, Atwells Avenue and Spruce Street at the two day Charrette.  The group will then make final recommendations to the Department of Planning and Development.

ProvidenceRI.com

Unfortunately, I have to work Saturday morning, and will only be able to make day one of this. Hopefully someone else can report on day 2.

mm_sm.jpg

Farm Fresh RI: Monday Market in Providence

Monday Market

Bringing Freshness to the Heart of Providence - Located in the skating rink next to RIPTA's Kennedy Plaza bus station

Mondays 2-6pm -- opens June 20, 2005

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FYI, today's Monday Market is 10:45am-3:00pm. Subsequent Monday Market's will be 2-6pm.

20festbanner.jpg

July 16, AS220, 85 Empire Street. Empire Street will be closed for the celebration of AS220's 20th Anniversary! There will be food, games, music, dancing, art, spoken word, mind-reading, 7- foot blue bunnies, and things that come in 20's! Plus, a line up of performers who have played at AS220 in the past 20 years. Free.

Archived