Local Happenings

provid

I was looking around ticketmaster to see what events were coming up. Although it's still a while away, I saw that Ronan Tynan (otherwise known as the world's most famous Irish Tenor) was coming here. I've heard he's suppose to be really good, but I've never seen him live. Has anyone seen him before? What did you think? Is anyone planning to go to his show here?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking around ticketmaster to see what events were coming up. Although it's still a while away, I saw that Ronan Tynan (otherwise known as the world's most famous Irish Tenor) was coming here. I've heard he's suppose to be really good, but I've never seen him live. Has anyone seen him before? What did you think? Is anyone planning to go to his show here?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ohhhh, I HATE Ronan Tynan...

but mostly because he sings that awful rendition of God Bless America at the Toilet (otherwise known as Yankee Stadium).

But other than that, he could be brilliant....

prdlogo.gif

Red, Black, & Blue!!

Get Skate-triotic!

Sunday July 3 Bout @ Bank of America Skating Center

Doors @ 6pm Game 7 - 9pm

$5 admission All Ages Show!

Halftime Dance Party with Mahi Mahi

Fireworks following the game!!

July 3rd at the Bank of America Skating Center, Providence Roller Derby presents the rematch of the derby's Mod Squad and Sakonnet River Roller Rats. Will the Mob Squad maintain their dominance? Half-time entertainment will be provided by local synth-rock Mahi Mahi. Refeshments will be provided by Spikes and Trinity Brewhouse.

Ohhhh, I HATE Ronan Tynan...

but mostly because he sings that awful rendition of God Bless America at the Toilet (otherwise known as Yankee Stadium).

But other than that, he could be brilliant....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"the toilet"??? Wouldn't that be Fenway Park? (smells like one).

"brilliant"???? An Irish tenor is like American leather...good but not in the same class of a Pavarotti or Italian leather

• 2 weeks later...

Sound session looks pretty cool, I read an artivle in the ProJo about it last night...

There's a big reggae festival this weekend down at Ninigret Park in Charlestown - check out OceanStateReggae.com.

Lots of music in the state this summer.......

Book Release & Presentation

Belltown Paradise / Making Their Own Plan

at the Steelyard, July 26 7-9 pm

This double-book details inspiring examples of artists, environmental visionaries, and concerned citizens who have had a direct impact in shaping their urban environments. The groups were invited to write their own accounts of their histories, failures, and triumphs while working to redesign neighborhoods in creative and exciting ways.

View the book at: http://www.inthefield.info/doublebook.html

Book Release & Presentation

Belltown Paradise / Making Their Own Plan

at the Steelyard, July 26  7-9 pm

This double-book details inspiring examples of artists, environmental visionaries, and concerned citizens who have had a direct impact in shaping their urban environments. The groups were invited to write their own accounts of their histories, failures, and triumphs while working to redesign neighborhoods in creative and exciting ways.

View the book at: http://www.inthefield.info/doublebook.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, fantastic book!

I've been working on ideas along those lines for awhile (going back to my remakably failed architecture thesis!). This looks great!

WESTFIELD LOFTS

Live/Work Artist Space

22 Affordable 1 and 2 bedroom loft style apartments

from $498/month + utilities *(income guidelines apply)

47 low cost 1 & 2 bedroom lofts

$850 - $1300 +utilities

Available December 2005

Special Preview to Artist Community

Wednesday, July 27

4pm

Dexter and Westfield Street entrance

For Information call Donna at 739-0100

AMENITIES

WESTFIELD LOFTS

Live/Work Artist Space

22 Affordable 1 and 2 bedroom loft style apartments

from $498/month + utilities *(income guidelines apply)

47 low cost 1 & 2 bedroom lofts

$850 - $1300 +utilities

Available December 2005

Special Preview to Artist Community

Wednesday, July 27

4pm

Dexter and Westfield Street entrance

For Information call Donna at 739-0100

AMENITIES

• 2 weeks later...

This Wednesday, at 6:30 pm, at Beneficent Church (300 Weybosset Street, the corner of Weybosset and Chestnut) the Oakland, CA think tank PolicyLink will be joining us for a community meeting about affordable housing.

The event is an informal kick-off for our push for an [url=http://www.votesegal.com/zoning.html]

Would you like an Eames chair with that arugula? Visit DWR at the Providence Monday Market next Monday, August 15.

We're bringing Design Within Reach on the road - to the Providence Monday Market. Stop by say hello in between your visits to the artisan food stalls and farm-fresh fruit and vegetable vendors.

More on the market: http://www.farmfreshri.org/about/mondaymarket.php

Visit DWR at the Providence Monday Market

Monday, August 15, 1-6pm

Bank of America City Center, 2 Kennedy Plaza

Or stop by the DWR Providence Studio, 210 Westminster Street (at Eddy). Directions: http://www.dwr.com/providence.cfm

Shooting stars Thursday and Friday night this week, the best two nights of this whole year. Best after the moon has set, i.e. after about midnight. Question: assuming that there are not too many clouds, what would be a good spot in Providence (away from street lights) to watch them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try Prospect Park on the East Side... Blackstone Park might be good as well...

- Garris

There's a big press event at RISD's 15West tomorrow, and the Globe is making a special trip to see the place this weekend. Expect some stories about it in the coming days.

The guest list includes regional publications such as the Hartford Courant, the Boston Phoenix and Art New England. Also on the list are Dwell Magazine, the Urban Land Institute, and treehuggers.com

I can't wait to see what Dwell has to say about Providence. The September issue's focus is on Urban Renaissance, but Providence isn't profiled. :(

• 2 weeks later...

The Plant will have a Groundbreaking Celebration September 8th at 10am. Open to the public... Latin music and a few speakers, including the mayor. Should be a quick thing. Come on down if you are interested.

www.theplantprovidence.com

And also, here is a link to a recent article about the Plant in the Projo, for more info on the project:

A Rebirth in Olneyville

September 8: Affordable Housing Forum + Panel Discussion

Thursday, September 8, 2005: 2-6pm

Green Party Councilman David Segal has been hosting a series of community education sessions/forums dealing with local economic and poverty related issues. The Housing Network and the Statewide Housing Action Coalition, is working with David to organize a forum on the issue of affordable housing (or lack thereof) in Providence. A panel of speakers will give brief presentations and then engage the room with open coversations. Come on down - hear and be heard.

http://www.housingnetworkri.org

FREE

Archived