Local Happenings

provid

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some very concerning news:

Apparantly, there has been a buzz about the Grove Street School in Federal Hill having a Paolino pulled on it and might face a covert and illegal demolition! It has NO demolition permits and is a PROTECTED building that absolutely cannot be demolished.

grove street school

If you happen to see anyone looking suspiciously at the building and think something might be going on, post here or call the Providence Police. Lt. Mary Day knows whats up and is keeping an eye out (Lt Mary Day: 401-641-8586)

Keep your eye out!

More waterfront happenings on Saturday!

What IS happening in India Point Park??

Chain link fences??

I-195 construction??

Pedestrian bridge vanishes??

See maps & images of good things to come!

Get your questions answered!

INFORMATIONAL WALK-ABOUT:

WALK around the park with the experts to learn ABOUT the schedule and design of new bridges, landscaping, bikepaths, India Street, parking, etc.

WHEN: Saturday, Oct. 29, 10 AM (Heavy rain date: Sunday, Oct. 30, 10 AM)

WHERE: India Point Park, Gano St. entrance

WHO:

Lambri Zerva & Patrick Vu, RI Dept of Transportation

Bob McMahon, Providence Parks Dept

Arek Galle, William Warner Associates: Arek Galle

David Segal, Providence City Council

Though the transition is tough, there are bright days ahead for the Park, and Saturday morning is your chance to find out about them. Weather prediction is good. Join us!

FOR MORE INFO, call 273-9244.

www.friendsofindiapointpark.org

11/13 - Screening of the new Robert Greenwald documentary: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price

http://action.bravenewfilms.org/event/wm_s...?event_KEY=6691

WHEN: November 13, 2005 07:00 PM

TICKET PRICE: FREE

WHERE:

Pembroke Campus of Brown University, Smith-Buonanno Building, at corner of Cushing St. and Brown St. (between 95 - 105 Brown St.) Room 106

Providence, RI

http://www.walmartmovie.com

11/13 - Screening of the new Robert Greenwald documentary: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price

http://action.bravenewfilms.org/event/wm_s...?event_KEY=6691

WHEN: November 13, 2005 07:00 PM

TICKET PRICE: FREE

WHERE:

Pembroke Campus of Brown University, Smith-Buonanno Building, at corner of Cushing St. and Brown St. (between 95 - 105 Brown St.) Room 106

Providence, RI

http://www.walmartmovie.com

This I have to go see! Welcome to UrbanPlanet Shawn - I noticed this was your first post. Enjoy all the discussions!

The End of the Moon

"[The End of the Moon] felt like an uninterrupted melody. Her studied speech and violin playing were like currents upon which she could gracefully catch a ride anytime she wanted." -- Los Angeles Times

Nov. 4, 8pm, VMA Arts & Cultural Center

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurc...TDC&pid=5603446

I'm forwarding this email from the Yahoo group, onepvd:

Friends:

Please join us at the WBNA (1560 Westminster) on Tuesday November 8, at 5:30

pm to discuss what we can do about saving Grove Street School from the

wrecking ball.

In addition, We have been asked to start documenting our issues with this

building and what we'd like to see happen to it and forward that to Senator

Reed's office. It appears the owners have already bent the Senator's ear

about not being able to tear down their building in order to construct a

gigantic parking lot and we need to make sure that the Senator hears all

sides of this issue. The person to whom we need to direct our information

is RAY SIMONE. I will try to get contact information as soon as I can and it

would be good if folks, especially the ones who live right around the

building, could write or make a quick phone call. The message we want to get

out there is that this is a building that could have been saved many times,

but the owners refused to sell to all interested parties, and that we do not

want to live in a neighborhood where there are acres of parking lots that

are empty most of the time. It isn't good for property values, the

environment or quality of life.

Hope to see you at the meeting.

Jen

ps, as per usual please forward to appropriate persons.

PPS again, sorry for the cross posting. Folks from urbangreens who would

like to join onepvd should do so at yahoogroups.com

I thought I'd pass this on.

I took my som to Prospect Park Saturday to show him the view of the city. I noticed that the statue of Roger Williams has all 4 fingers and thumb broken off on the left hand, and someone splashed white paint on the statue as well.

For anyone interested in the fate of the Grove Street School I've posted some of the information gathered from last night's special WBNA meeting on my blog here:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/painaporo/39511.html#cutid1

I don't think it looks good for the old school building. I just hope the property owners go through the proper motions for getting permission to tear down the building so that all sides can publicly voice their concerns.

For anyone interested in the fate of the Grove Street School I've posted some of the information gathered from last night's special WBNA meeting on my blog here:

I don't think it looks good for the old school building. I just hope the property owners go through the proper motions for getting permission to tear down the building so that all sides can publicly voice their concerns.

Welcome! Great 1st post!

Excellent post and welcome...

I was unfortunately unable to attend the meeting because of a previous commitment, but this is a fairly complicated case.

The success of the locally owned funeral home is an admirable cause and I wish them luck in that endeavour, but there is NO DOUBT that losing that particular building to surface parking will do IRREPARABLE harm to the neighborhood, on societal, environmental, and plain ol' aesthetic grounds.

And the tax argument? Rubbish. The reuse of the property for ANYTHING at all will generate multiples more property tax for the city, sales tax for construction materials, and income tax for the workers on the project, not to mention additional taxes generated by new residents or businesses that would occupy the rehabbed building. Demo and parking lot will bring next to nothing to the city, and maybe a negligle increase for the funeral home.

That right there is a compelling reason for the city to save the building. Believe me, there is much fight left in that building, regardless of what the Tarro's think...

So what recourse does the city have? Can the city force the Tarros to sell the building back to them? I don't think the city can force the Tarros to create any kind of secondary business in the building that the family would be responsible for operating. So, the only option seems to be that the Tarros would have to sell the building to either the city or to a private entity that would ensure the preservation of the building. I believe private parties have been interested but the Tarros refuse to sell. I am curious about how the city could compel them to change their minds.

So what recourse does the city have? Can the city force the Tarros to sell the building back to them? I don't think the city can force the Tarros to create any kind of secondary business in the building that the family would be responsible for operating. So, the only option seems to be that the Tarros would have to sell the building to either the city or to a private entity that would ensure the preservation of the building. I believe private parties have been interested but the Tarros refuse to sell. I am curious about how the city could compel them to change their minds.

Well, the building is protected as part of the Industrial and Commercial Buildings District, which requires that all alterations (including demolition) be reviewed by the City's Historic District Commission. The HDC could simply refuse to allow the demo, which you would think would compel the Tarros to sell the building to one of the many interested parties. No demo, no parking, the Tarros just keep dumping money down the drain for property they can't do what they want with.

Of course, the Tarros could play hardball and just continue to sit on the building, but that really does not make sense. Currently, the property as is is probably worth north of $1 million bucks, based on the going rate on similar buidings in less desirable locations, and they (the Tarros) would be fairly stupid to sell.

The other scenario would be for the city to use the dreaded eminent domain. Take the building, compensate the Tarros the fair market value (again, they make out), and then dispose of the property to a responsible party for redevelopment. I think the ideal situation would be for the City to use its power, sell the building cheaply to a non-profit, and have them redevelop the building into mixed-income, mixed-use affordable housing, something everyone must agree we need more of. Really, in this scenario, everyone is happy, even the Tarros, who get to put a million bucks in their pockets for property they potentially can't do anything with anyway and that they probably got for like 30 cents.

Archived