• San Marco
    • Southside
    • Mandarin
    • Northside
    • NW Jacksonville
    • Beaches
    • Clay Co.
    • Out of town

Lake...yes, there has been interesting history between the two firms from what I have heard as well.

Paulk...plan to spend five years at UF if you go LA; it's now a five year Bachelor program.  As for which profession...I decided on LA and not Arch because of the multiplicity of scale that LA's work in.  Architects do so as well, but too often I saw the work as focused too much on the edifice and not the overall site and the overall context.  If you don't address either of those properly, you haven't really done anyting right.  That's my opinion though...  ;)

And whether or not anyone believes it, I hardly ever work with plants.  I know my stuff fairly well and can do LA design pretty quickly, but most of my work is planning and detail site design with very little "landscape design".

The 'Urb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't mind, tell Jeff, Ennis and Shane said hello.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it counts for anything, I'm currently trying to decide what type of architecture to study next year at UF.  Any advice for a confused teen???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll fill you in on my experience. I attended Florida A&M University in Tallahassee and graduated with a 5 year Bachelor of Architecture in Spring 2001. With a 5 year architecture degree, you'll be able to sit for the ARE Exam after three years of working in the field and fulfilling your IDP (Intern Development Process) requirements.

As far as college goes...get used to spending long nights (sometimes all nighters) on design projects and lots of money on model building supplies. Personally, in the real world you can avoid this with good time management skills, but some professors will force you into this situation, by changing the scope of design projects the night before they're due.

I almost dropped out of architecture during my second and third years, with plans to major in business or construction, when I finally figured out the low starting wages in the field. However, I stuck around (because I didn't want to start a major all over again) and its starting to pay off, because I made myself, somewhat an expert on things outside of traditional architecture (computer applications, graphics, photography, urban design, land planning) , that still can be applied in the field.

I produced CDs on AutoCAD for a Lakeland firm, for two years after graduating. At the same time, I was a part of an organization called Creative Tampa Bay, who's goal was to attract young professionals to the area by coming up with ideas to make the region more attractive for the 18-40 age group. I also spent a lot of time with DDA officials in Lakeland, expressing urban design ideas.

The majority of my office work is now on the front end of the design process. I spend my time doing site analysis and development planning for our clients. Unfortunately, although my architectural background is urban oriented, most of our projects are beach and suburban oriented. So I'm currently one of the guys contributing to the high suburban cul-de-sac growth in St. Johns & Flagler counties. Hopefully, when the time comes, I'll be able to do a couple of urban development projects on my own.

Jaylon, welcome to Jacksonville.  Where do you live in Birmingham and why the move to Jacksonville?  I lived in Bham for 3 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live out in Irondale/Eastwood. I'm finishing up grad school in May at UAB and in order to obtain the degree we have to complete a 12 month administrative residency at a healthcare organization. I'll be in Jacksonville for at least a year, but 95% of students get hired on full-time at the place they do their residency, so who knows, it could be longer. I chose Jacksonville because I enjoyed talking to the people I interviewed with and because Jacksonville reminded of Birmingham. Not small and not too big. I've always lived in Birmingham and I was hoping Jacksonville would be an easy transition. Duval has about 160,000 more people than Jefferson County and I thought the population characteristics were similar.

-J

If you don't mind, tell Jeff, Ennis and Shane said hello.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will do.

I'll fill you in on my experience.  I attended Florida A&M University in Tallahassee and graduated with a 5 year Bachelor of Architecture in Spring 2001.  With a 5 year architecture degree, you'll be able to sit for the ARE Exam after three years of working in the field and fulfilling your IDP (Intern Development Process) requirements.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With a four or five year BLA, you can sit for the LARE (Landscape Architecture Review & Examination) within one year of graduation; assuming your year of professional experience has been under the guidance of a licensed LA. Most will tell you to wait 3-4 years post graduation to take the test as it is a very strenuous test and only about 10% pass every section on the first attempt.

By the way...did you know professors Matt Powers or Richard Rome in the LA program? I serve on the Florida Chapter ASLA Executive Committe with them. Have you ever run across Chris Flagg from RS&H? He's sat in on some Arch juries before. He was my boss at RS&H...very talented guy.

As far as college goes...get used to spending long nights (sometimes all nighters) on design projects and lots of money on model building supplies.  Personally, in the real world you can avoid this with good time management skills, but some professors will force you into this situation, by changing the scope of design projects the night before they're due.

I almost dropped out of architecture during my second and third years, with plans to major in business or construction, when I finally figured out the low starting wages in the field.  However, I stuck around (because I didn't want to start a major all over again) and its starting to pay off, because I made myself, somewhat an expert on things outside of traditional architecture (computer applications, graphics, photography, urban design, land planning) , that still can be applied in the field.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen brother! Many late nights or all-nighters were the norm for us at UF as well. I did not get the scope changed on me at the last minute though, but we had tons to do without that. It's not easy and it's not cheap, but both professions (LA and Arch) are great. As with Lakelander, I picked up things like CAD and graphics to supplement my schooling and have interests in Urban Design, Planning, etc. Those interests come in handy as they relate to my "real" work and my "volunteer" work (i.e. JaxPride).

The 'Urb

Archived