Favorite Grocery

DigitalSky

What's your favorite Charlotte grocery store?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Charlotte grocery store?

• Bi-Lo
    • Lowe's Foods
    • Food Lion
    • Harris Teeter
    • Winn-Dixie
    • Wal-Mart Supercenter
    • Earth Fare
    • Other

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I buy the bulk of the stuff for the house from Costco. Much cheaper than any of those stores above. Most of the other time, I shop at Lowes.

I also shop from time to time at the Davidson branch of the Home Economist which is one of the city's original natural foods store. During the warmer months I will hit up the farmer's markets. Mainly the one in downtown Huntersville and the regional one off Billy Graham Pkwy.

I also operate my own organic garden all year long.

I used to do all of my grocery shopping at Harris Teeter but when a Lowes Foods opened up on my way home I switched 75% of my grocery there. I just use HT if I need something small such as some snow peas for that night's dinner (since it's on a more direct route on my way home).

I always hoped that Harris Teeter would come to the panhandle of Florida. I love Harris Teeter. However, while in Charleston during Christmas, I had the pleasure of visiting Whole Foods. My god, what a great store. It is like a huge Dean Delucca (if that is how it is spelled?). I understand Whole Foods is going to Charlotte in the next year or so. You will love it. Too bad for Harris Teeter.

ok i added an updated map.. I forgot about Bloom too.. i guess if Bloom is your favorite just vote Food Lion. We don't have Blooom yet in South Mecklenburg County unfortunately. I think there's a new Lowes foods in Mint Hill too which I'll need to update on that map... and as I said i didn't include Wal Mart Supercenter, just the other 5 grocers

I think there's a new Lowes foods in Mint Hill too which I'll need to update on that map... and as I said i didn't include Wal Mart Supercenter, just the other 5 grocers

It is in the corner of Laywers & 51. There is also a new Lowes Foods that just opened at the corner of Idlewild and I-485.

My favorite is Publix.  I know they're in South Carolina and i think they're expanding into North Carolina as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have Publix all over Florida. I would consider them better than Winn Dixie but well inferior to Harris Teeter. By the way, Jacksonville is supposed to get HT soon?

I used to live right down the street from Cotswold shopping center, so I went to that Harris Teeter very often. We always bought the bulk of our food from the Home Economist on South boulevard though. When I lived in Charlotte, I was waiting for the new Earth Fare to open. I suppose it's open now. It was too far for me to go to get groceries though.

If anyone lives in or near Ballantyne, you should defenitely check out Earth Fare if you like organic food. Earth Fare is much better than the Home Economist, IMO.

Since Harris Teeter is winning this poll by a long shot, has anyone noticed the new plastic shopping carts they seem to have put in most stores in the last few weeks? What I don't like about these things is the baby seat apparently can't be closed. So you have this big platform that is subject to leaking diapers, bably drool, bottoms of women's purses that have been on the floor, and probably worse. Unlike the steel carts they replace these things seem to be a huge breeding ground for very nasty bacteria from the above sources and people are putting their food on them. LOL

I like the new two tier carts that Food Lion is putting in its new upscale "Fresh Look" stores. (Not Bloom, these are new stores they are experimenting with at the Lake)

So you have  this big platform that is subject to leaking diapers, bably drool, bottoms of women's purses that have been on the floor, and probably worse. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DAM! :sick:

I use that platform ALL THE TIME... and never once thought about all that stuff, but you are RIGHT!!!!!

I think i may go clean all the stuff in my fridge right now... and shower. BLECH!

Since Harris Teeter is winning this poll by a long shot, has anyone noticed the new plastic shopping carts they seem to have put in most stores in the last few weeks?  What I don't like about these things is the baby seat apparently can't be closed.  So you have  this big platform that is subject to leaking diapers, bably drool, bottoms of women's purses that have been on the floor, and probably worse.  Unlike the steel carts they replace these things seem to be a huge breeding ground for very nasty bacteria from the above sources and people are putting their food on them.  LOL 

I like the new two tier carts that Food Lion is putting in its new upscale "Fresh Look" stores.  (Not Bloom, these are new stores they are experimenting with at the Lake)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't think of that. BUT- A good thing about the new carts is that theres a guide on the cart that tells you what Isle items are in... making it 100 times easier to find stuff.

About Food Lion, I haven't been in a while and should see their new "fresh look" makeovers.

My favorite is Ingles. They're based near Asheville, and they dominate the market in Western NC. They don't get any closer to Charlotte than Shelby, though. They've got a big presence in Upstate SC and northern Georgia as well, and they're expanding into Tennessee, Virginia, and Alabama too.

In addition to the local ownership, I just like the feel of their stores and the fact that they carry a good bit of generally hard-to-find foreign foods as well. Their beer selection beats the crap out of any Food Lion or Harris Teeter that I've ever seen. The store closest to my parents' home in Asheville also offers some things that you don't normally find at a grocery store: a pharmacy and a video rental place.

I've also been told that it's a better working environment than most other grocery stores, but that probably depends more on the store manager than anything else.

Oh, and in Asheville, their prices are competitive or slightly lower than all but the super wal-mart.

My favorite is Ingles. They're based near Asheville, and they dominate the market in Western NC. They don't get any closer to Charlotte than Shelby, though. They've got a big presence in Upstate SC and northern Georgia as well, and they're expanding into Tennessee, Virginia, and Alabama too.

In addition to the local ownership, I just like the feel of their stores and the fact that they carry a good bit of generally hard-to-find foreign foods as well. Their beer selection beats the crap out of any Food Lion or Harris Teeter that I've ever seen. I've also been told that it's a better working environment than most other grocery stores, but that probably depends more on the store manager than anything else.

Oh, and in Asheville, their prices are competitive or slightly lower than all but the super wal-mart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

clt remembers an ingles in statesville. it had funky colors in the produce area.

In addition to the local ownership, I just like the feel of their stores and the fact that they carry a good bit of generally hard-to-find foreign foods as well. Their beer selection beats the crap out of any Food Lion or Harris Teeter that I've ever seen. The store closest to my parents' home in Asheville also offers some things that you don't normally find at a grocery store: a pharmacy and a video rental place.

I've also been told that it's a better working environment than most other grocery stores, but that probably depends more on the store manager than anything else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think there was an Ingles store until recently in Lexington and there still is one i believe in Thomasville, not too far from the triad area.

I think there was an Ingles store until recently in Lexington and there still is one i believe in Thomasville, not too far from the triad area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Near the Triad, there was one that closed at Parkway Plaza in Lexington and there's another just north of Winston-Salem on US 311. I've never seen the Thomasville one; never been to the town.

Ingles makes a BIG deal that they are American Owned...usually with signs on the outside of the store. I guess that is their way of poking fun at Food Lion which is European owned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously. In Asheville, they should be making a much bigger deal out of the fact that it's locallyowned. Any money that you spend at Ingles in Asheville, stays in Asheville.

Archived