Favorite Grocery

DigitalSky

What's your favorite Charlotte grocery store?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Charlotte grocery store?

• Bi-Lo
    • Lowe's Foods
    • Food Lion
    • Harris Teeter
    • Winn-Dixie
    • Wal-Mart Supercenter
    • Earth Fare
    • Other

I shopped at Hannafords some in Wilmington before Lowes Foods took over their stores and I thought they were a decent store, somewhat on the Harris Teeter level, I really liked their shopping bags which were thicker then the typical shopping bag so I wasn't as paranoid about bags ripping.

I moved up to a town in MA where there was a store called Shop'nSave which was bought out by Hannafords while I was up there so I shopped there over the other grocery store in town, Victory's. Anyway I went up to visit my old stomping grounds back in late March and noticed that Victory's had been acquired by Hannafords so Hannaford was literally everywhere. The chain appears to be doing well up north, I suppose there is less competion...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wellspring / Whole Foods - WHEN!??!?!?!?!? are they opening a store in Charlotte????

Whole Foods is opening a Charlotte store in 2007 (if everything is on track) on Elizabeth avenue. It won't be affiliated with Wellspring though.. I don't even think Wellspring exists anymore actually, i think they are wholly Whole Foods now.

What, are there no other poor college students here? Where is the love for ALDI?!?! All the college kids I know (and a bunch of senior citizens) shop at Aldi. Cheap, cheap, cheapest food ever. For non-Aldi food I like HT. Like when I'm in a hurry and need a good cigar. Also the Bloom at University; make your own 6-pack.

Oh, and the closest Ingle's may be the on off 24/27 in Albemarle.

Consumer Reports has rated the top 50 or so Grocery Chains.... which include most of the ones in the Carolinas. (they didn't rate Lowes Foods in the report)

But anyway... they were based on four factors

- Prices

- Checkout Speed

- Services

- Cleanliness

I cannot post the whole list, but i'll give you the rankings for the stores that are in the carolinas (and two that were)

#3 - Publix

#4 - Harris Teeter

#5 - Hannaford

#12 - Piggly Wiggly

#19 - Ingles

#25 - Wal-mat Supercenter

#27 - Kroger

#28 - Bi-Lo

#42 - Winn Dixie

#43 - Food Lion

I saw some Newsweek (I think it was) report that Publix is one of the dirtest stores behind the scenes. Food Lion is cleaner.

Not so sure that list backs up what you had to say. Sorry, I love Publix, if I had the money and power, I would open ten in Charlotte all at the same time. It's that good. HT would probably go out of business in CLT if that happened though, and I do like it too.

What finished 1 and 2? Also, random question, where did Albertson's finish if it's on there? It's the Food Lion of Florida (although they have Food Lion there too.)

Can someone tell me what's so great about Publix? I've been to some of their stores in Atlanta and Florida and they seem Food Lion-grade. What am I missing?

I didn't think Publix was on a higher level Harris Teeter when I visited the one on Peachtree St in Atlanta. They are similar similar to me.

I didn't think they were that nice. I went to one in Sarasota last year and it reminded me of the Bi-Lo out on East Independence..

Well, I've been in some shady Harris Teeters in Maryland before too. Can't recall the exact cities though as it was when I was younger. It's not so much that Publix is high scale food, that's not what makes a store great. It's a combination of a lot of things. If we had them, you would know why. Everybody that has them love them. And yes, the word "everybody" is not meant to be taken literally, I'm sure you have friends that don't or something as is usually the case on here.

It's really hard to describe why people love Publix, I personally think they inject shopping pheramones or something into the air in there so you have no choice but to love it.

Well I'm sure Publix just like every other grocery store and retail store has it's poor locations and its nice locations........and it varies from state to state.......but all i have to say is Their Bakery is soooo amazingly tasty! :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Archived