• Baton Rouge,LA
    • St.Petersburg,FL
    • Savannah,GA
    • Corpus Christi,TX
    • Other please list

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B'ham is a great city in general with great architecture both downtown and in the houses around town. I lived there for 3 years and loved it. It clearly has the best skyline of this bunch, especially if you consider Red Mountain and the restored Vulcan statue. In terms of future development, the city should have consolidated years ago, but never will do to the blacks and whites both being against it. The city just cant get its act together and agree to move forward and is being hurt by bank consolidation. Still, it is a nice place.

that pic of savannah is a bad one. you can't even see most of it's downtown because it's taken from a moving car on the bridge. savannah shouldn't really be on this list however. it just wouldn't be right with tall buildings. it's beautiful the way it is. it has what a lot of cities is missing, and that is personality.

B'ham is a great city in general with great architecture both downtown and in the houses around town.  I lived there for 3 years and loved it.  It clearly has the best skyline of this bunch, especially if you consider Red Mountain and the restored Vulcan statue.  In terms of future development, the city should have consolidated years ago, but never will do to the blacks and whites both being against it.  The city just cant get its act together and agree to move forward and is being hurt by bank consolidation.  Still, it is a nice place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We're trying, and things are finally falling into place. Yes, it has been twenty years too late, but here's to us!

^_^

Birmingham has a nice southern skyline. :thumbsup:  I really don't like Mobile bay very much, but I know it is an important southern city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mobile has alot going on down there as I recall. I know that the new RSA tower is coming along, but I haven't seen any news on it recently.

• 1 year later...

Underdog skyline means a small-medium sized city thats skyline isnt very big for the population or could be better than its current.

Am I understanding this correctly ? Everybody automatically jumps to Birmingham as the polls best Skyline. That's true, I am not disputing that. As I interpret this question...."Underdog Skyline not big for population or could do better". That should not be Birmingham, because they DO have the Best Skyline. So how could B'ham still do better if they are already the best on this list ?

Baton Rouge's Skyline does not match it's population would be the choice. Nobody thinks much of it's Skyline, with their pop. is the TRUE UNDERDOG Champ. Since the tallest State Capitol in the U.S. is located in BR, nobody seems to want to build anything taller. And being only 75 miles from New Orleans also has something to do with it's Skyline. Also Baton Rouge is one of the few cities to have their tallest high-rise hotel NOT to be part of the Skyline, since it is 4 miles to the east of the CBD.

***But wait **** Baton Rouge is about to break-through in 2006' , (three high-rise projects of 30-stories,20 & 19-stories)+ several mid-rises too.come-back in 09' and the Skyline will have changed dramatically. Then some other city can take the "Underdog" title away gladly.

Archived