New Nuclear Power Plant for Upstate SC or NC

btoy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait they still build nuclear power plants? :huh:

Those things are dangerous

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually that is the deal (not the dangerous part becuase they aren't really) nuclear power plants have not been built in the US for a long time now.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I heard that Lake Wylie in Charlotte would be the new site.I may be wrong but I know they were talking about changing weapons grade plutonium into the energy sourse. They are trying to get ride of some of the aging nuclear weapons that have been sent to the Savannah River site.

• 6 months later...

Duke will do a new job running a new plant. We would not add to air quality with a

nuclear power plant. Natural gas will be costly and coal cause air quality.

Water power is great if you have good steady flow of water.

France get more than 50% of their electric power by nuclear power plants.

With the rising cost of energy, nuclear power is a good investment.

It's easy for countries like Germany with depopulation and essentially stagnant demand for electricity to say "No more nuclear - in fact, we're going to SHUT DOWN all our nukes."

But if we, here, in the Southeast US, don't build some nukes we'll either end up with power that grows continuously more expensive over the decades (natural gas) or cheap power and air to choke on (coal.)

Nuclear power plants serve the "baseline" demand - they are extremely cheap to run, but they are costly and inefficient to start and stop. So, they basically leave the nuclear plants running full tilt all the time. Natural Gas plants are great because they can turn on and off at the drop of a hat, and you can cycle them with the daily peaks and valleys in demand (ie afternoon air conditioning in the summer.) So, a combination of Natural Gas and Nuclear is great - in the absence of other, renewable energy sources (geothermal, hydroelectric, wind, etc.)

In my understanding, coal is pretty slow to react. You can ramp it up or down with changes in weather (week-long hot spells during the summer, etc) but you can't do anything more fine grained than that. Not sure about petroleum-based power.

Anyway, nuclear power is very important, and it's safe enough for me.

Archived