PROPOSED: The "Power Block"

The renderings we've seen are for the condo tower on the Holiday Inn site, the tower would be where the parking garage at the Holiday Inn currently is. We've not seen any renderings here of what would be built on the Gulf Station site (55 Broadway).

It seems that both project are now on hold. Although the convertion of the Holiday In to a Hilton seems to be on course. I was in the Holiday Inn today and there are renderings of the new lobby (with Hilton logos all over the renderings) in the lobby, as well as swatches of what the surfaces will be.

This is one of many deadlines this site has had, always Mesolllola seems to find a loophole in the deadlines. The last deadline was June or July, but something allowed him to push that back to September. Sh*t or get off the pot, there are plenty of developers that are ready to give our convention center another hotel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Messola had the worst design for a hotel on this land, the fact that the TPG has this under their control is worrisome, theve had the holiday inn since "94" work might start soon on that. What were they waiting for on that one? Market condititions?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

theve had the holiday inn since "94" work might start soon on that. What were they waiting for on that one? Market condititions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cianci.

He was iron fisted and tyranical in his control of the Dunk. I don't think any private developer wanted anything to do with. And the Holiday Inn renos key peice is attaching it to the Dunk.

Paolino.  Enough said.  This is all pretty shameless and really speaks volumes about why developers have a bad name.  Mesollela for example.  He bought the development rights to sit on them, wait for the rights to appreciate, and then sell. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't help but wonder why the Capital Center Commission allowed a Quebec, Canada company to have an option on parcel 4 for over 10 years without developing the land. They finally gave up their rights in the late 90's to the Beacon Companies of Boston which also failed to bring a 24 story residential building to Park Pow West. http://www.jungbrannen.com/new/Portfolio/A...ow/10parkro.htm

Cotuit, you really rock... Great diagram. It really shows the promise and power of the "power block." If they plan things well, that could be one kick a** neighborhood. It they just do multiple different structures that don't build upon one another, we all lose. Just look at the two "on hold" locations, though... It just kills me...

- Garris

Work appears about to begin at the 'Hilton.' A fence has been around the plantings at the corner of Atwells and Broadway for a few weeks, today the plants came out. I would assume that attaching to The Dunk, and the restuarant and cafe (rumoured to be another Starbucks) are a go. A Hilton without a restaurant is just not going to happen. I mentioned in the Hikton thread that they have renderings of the new lobby in the Holiday Inn lobby, and some swatches and surface samples (all of the boards have the Hilton logo on them). It's going to look prety nice inside, I'd just like a better look at the outside, how it interacts with the street.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there is the 310'+ condo that would be very prominent in that position over Rt 95...extending the Downcity to the western limits. A key building that can be the spark to the LaSalle, Fogarty, and Gulf sites, and help feed Federal Hill activity.

Let's hope that the market will sustain the demand in 2007-which I believe it will.

I think with Katrina, all bets are off on development in any city for the next half decade. I don't want to be worrying about not seeing the development we want in Providence when people are dying on the streets of New Orleans in mass numbers, but... Having one of the largest cities in the country be unihabitable for the foreseeable future, likely years, the nation's economy is going to take a huge hit. Oil prices are going to be a big issue. I don't think our economy will completely collapse, but the brakes are going to be put on in some sectors.

I think with Katrina, all bets are off on development in any city for the next half decade. I don't want to be worrying about not seeing the development we want in Providence when people are dying on the streets of New Orleans in mass numbers, but... Having one of the largest cities in the country be unihabitable for the foreseeable future, likely years, the nation's economy is going to take a huge hit. Oil prices are going to be a big issue. I don't think our economy will completely collapse, but the brakes are going to be put on in some sectors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow..that is a sober assessment. I do not share that timeline...more likely 12-16 months. I think that in the short term - 4 to 9 months - there will be a serious negative impact. While the NO economic damage will have a ripple effect, the key is the recovery of the refinaries and supply lines. While it is very early in the game, the news in Tampa is that the economic impact will be for a limited time due to severe pressure to get it rolling again very fast. As far as I know, the refinary/supply situation has been initailly assessed as short term. We will know more once real assessments can be made...probably in a month.

If gas stays around $3.50 a gallon, it will have a big impact on all sectors of the economy. I think in the short term people will just ignore it and continue to go further and further into debt to support a lifestyle that has been untenable for decades, but eventually, something has got to give in our economy. The reality is, vast numbers of people in this country carry a good amount of debt to support their lifestyles, eventually people are going to have drop those lifestyles to address that debt. 1/3 of a million dollar condos in Providence might be scratched off of a lot of people's shopping lists.

And the hurricane season isn't over yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cotuit, I think you just put into words what a lot of us have been thinking, I know I have. :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

So, the Fogarty building will become their HQ, not a hotel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe, and if so, I doubt the entire building will be their headquarters. Also, if Fogarty becomes the HQ, what will become of the office space reserved for that in the new Westin? Will they build more condos or just lease the office space?

I think he's not going to make any decisive moves until he sees more concrete moves from Parcel 15 and the new condos moving around town.

Archived