Blount Street Commons

capitalapts

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping for more commercial, well actually commercial with residential on top, along Peace, Wilmington, and the Person/Peace corner. But I know Oakwood would never let that fly... ugh. Maybe Person will pick up the slack north of Krispy Kreme and/or Seaboard Station, though it is cut off from this area by Peace College.

I was hoping for more commercial, well actually commercial with residential on top, along Peace, Wilmington, and the Person/Peace corner. But I know Oakwood would never let that fly... ugh. Maybe Person will pick up the slack north of Krispy Kreme and/or Seaboard Station, though it is cut off from this area by Peace College.

I agree. Hopefully, as you said, other areas will pick up the slack.

That area could have a nice solid block from Person to Blount. The Super 10 across Person is not included, but can be it's own thing. They could easily "hide" parking with alleys to the streetscape. I would hate to see all the entrances turned "inward" or parking between the sidewalk and structures, like the exixting shopping center. It is weird how long it has taken this area to "recover" from its proximity to Halifax Court, even though Capitol Park has been open for years now.

It could have been a better location for Capital City Grocery, than Seaboard Station, but they are up and running now. They could have easily fit on the Person/Franklin corner with room in the back for parking. It will be intersting to see more detailed plans from the devloper...

Is anything going to happen on the South end of Blount street? I have heard it is kinda sketchy (what with the proximity to South street and MLK), but do y'all think the renovation of Blount Street is going to trickle down towards that end, bringing amenities, rising property values, and driving out the riff raff?

Is anything going to happen on the South end of Blount street? I have heard it is kinda sketchy (what with the proximity to South street and MLK), but do y'all think the renovation of Blount Street is going to trickle down towards that end, bringing amenities, rising property values, and driving out the riff raff?

Depends on how south you're talking about. The block just below City Market will be up against the new backside to the Progress Energy Building, where they're adding condos right as we speak, with some nice retail/restaurants on the Davie St side.

Hopefully this will start a trend and things will gradually spread even further southbound.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news on the Blount St project... I got word this morning that the state motor pool location at Person and Peace St is shutting down in December. So I would guess we will see some changes coming on that site and the ones towards Wilmington St in early 2007. I assume the rezoning (Z-029-06) was approved by the city, although I never heard confirmation.

:thumbsup:

anyone know where its moving too?

Not sure, but I would bet out by the book depository in West Raleigh. Directly accross from the NC Muesum of Art on Blue Ridge road. I do know that they will be moving several other divisions out to that location instead of building anything else downtown. In my option, they should sale there land in West Raleigh and build a couple of large building downtown. IMHO! :)

Moving the motor fleet out by the Museum of Art is one option, but in the 1995 plan in the Green Square thread, it looks like they wanted to move it (or something) to Peace and Salisbury streets. They extend the existing parking deck toward Peace, and put in mixed use -- street level retail, Stage Govt. office space above -- along Peace itself. This would add parking to the government complex and make Peace somewhat pedestrian friendly.

Motor Pool is moving to Blue Ridge Rd.

in the 1995 plan in the Green Square thread, it looks like they wanted to move it (or something) to Peace and Salisbury streets.

Unfortunately there are lots of things the state has never actually built in that plan, including but not limited to a new 12 story DOT building. I don't think the state has much of an interest in doing anything for the sake of DT Raleigh unless it somehow makes financial sense.

They extend the existing parking deck toward Peace, and put in mixed use -- street level retail, Stage Govt. office space above -- along Peace itself. This would add parking to the government complex and make Peace somewhat pedestrian friendly.

That would be excellent! Every time I fill up at the shell station there I look over at that lot and think how perfect a location it would be for that type of development.

(And just for the record: I still like the more traditional renderings of the Green Square project. Not that anyone's asking...)

Doesn't the state rent space in a lot offices scattered around the city, like the Parker Lincoln building on Capital north of 440? Or is this done to hide campaign contribution paybacks?

I would think there would be a lot of financial sense in *owning* offices instead of paying rent. State government isn't getting any smaller... the state of North Carolina is poised to be one of the faster growing states in the country, and the government will have to grow to accomodate this growth.

Some of the 1995 plan is "pie in the sky" but it looks like they didn't act on *any* of it. I know there used to be a state government employee circulator/trolley, but I think even that has been dropped in recent years.

With the sale of the Blount Street land, this is an opportune time for the state to reevaluate its government center plans. Should they sell more, like the land across from the Peace Street Shell? Should they buy more land, like the Days Inn south of the Capitol merge to be near the TTA station? and other questions.

Archived