Blount Street Commons

capitalapts

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I heard Buring Coal had raised enough to start the rennovation project, I was hoping they would embrace the building, and not just use it as just a performance space. From the article, it sounds like they've paid tribute to history and made it suit their needs as well. I also like the idea of a "daytime coffee concession." I know that probably won't happen until Blount Street Commons starts to fill with residents, but with enough state employees nearby, they might be able to make a go of it sooner.

Hopefully Polk Street will be reopened by the time of the grand opening! Tearing up the street right in front of the theater, and the work of clearing most of the block to the north, probably hasn't helped them get ready. It is funny that the Independent burys fact that the city paid for almost 1/3 for a private project is buried in the story, well after stating the $1.2 million price tag.

Also, eight years ago, the theater was a few blocks from Halifax Court. But it has since been rebuilt as Capitol Park, Pilot Mill has homes for close to $.5 million, and Peace College is not what I would consider "black Raleigh". If they wanted to be on that edge, they should have looked for space close to St. Augs or Shaw University, or on New Bern Ave east of the federal building.

There is little off-street parking, but the kind of people who will go to performances there know how to navigate one way roads and parallel park, carpool, or use mass transit.

The N&O did a big story on Burning Coal's potential impact on downtown. North Blount St could very well turnout to be one of the more desirable locations in Raleigh... victorian homes, a bit of green space, great theater in your backyard, walkable, close to everything, restaurants & shops, etc. I'm sure we won't recognize it in 3-4 years.

The N&O did a big story on Burning Coal's potential impact on downtown. North Blount St could very well turnout to be one of the more desirable locations in Raleigh... victorian homes, a bit of green space, great theater in your backyard, walkable, close to everything, restaurants & shops, etc. I'm sure we won't recognize it in 3-4 years.

Thats awesome! I am really excited for this part of town. The next few years will be really interesting to see how great it turns out.

Hopefully Polk Street will be reopened by the time of the grand opening! Tearing up the street right in front of the theater, and the work of clearing most of the block to the north, probably hasn't helped them get ready.

Indeed, Polk Street reopened earlier this week...

The carriage homes, by definition, don't really have a front. They face an alleyway and back up to the mansions along Blount. if you put the garages in back of the carriage homes, they would open up into the back yard of the houses along Blount Street. The garages of the Row Homes will face the alleyway as well. Their fronts will face a park.

The entire length of the alleyway will be lined with nothing but garages on both sides. But that's OK, because it's an alleyway, and that's what alleyways look like in older cities, too.

Blount%20Stree%20Plan.jpg

The carriage homes, by definition, don't really have a front. They face an alleyway and back up to the mansions along Blount. if you put the garages in back of the carriage homes, they would open up into the back yard of the houses along Blount Street. The garages of the Row Homes will face the alleyway as well. Their fronts will face a park.

The entire length of the alleyway will be lined with nothing but garages on both sides. But that's OK, because it's an alleyway, and that's what alleyways look like in older cities, too.

If the garages face an alley, and there's access to the main St. then that upgrades them to acceptable, for me.

The plans do not show that, or at least thats not how I interpret them.

That's how they do the houses at pilot mill, and they look fine, very pretty actually. No one will see the garages...

We stopped by the sales center late Sunday and looked at the plans.

The carriage houses will have two living units above a line of garages. One "car hole" will be provided for the two units above, and the "middle" garage will belong to the corresponding mansion house, fronting Blount (and maybe a couple on Person). It sounded like nothing was rental, all for sale.

The green spaces are common/public, but we'll see if that holds up, or if they get fenced in. The first alley is already starting to be poured. It empties to Blount just south of the sales center and has two curbs and a center concrete slab for drainage I guess. In the alley, Two cars *can* pass each other, but it would be tight. One way, one lane would have been ideal, but that might not be possible due to needing to get fire trucks and ambulances into them?

• 3 weeks later...

^ Got an email that says the two vacant lots along Blount are available for sale now.....strange as I thought LNR would actually develop the lots between the historic mansions, but it did not sound that way in the email...

Those lots have design covenants on them, don't they? I mean, you couldn't go and put up a gas station or Walgreens, could you? That would totally defeat the purpose of the complex, wouldn't it?

This is definitely a situation where you need egotistical rich people. ERP's have built most of the world's greatest residential architecture...

According to the master plan, the sites along Blount at Polk St will indeed be new home sites (labeled "B"), and yes, I would assume there are some restrictions with the historic overlay on these parcels. Zoning is PDD and HOD, HOD being the Historic Overlay District. It ought to be interesting to see what is built there.

7819696.jpg

Archived