POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

Dimeo has been hired for this job. ( Construction Management )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Based on a quick look at their web site, this will probably be the tallest thing they've done, though I doubt it will be close in square footage.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooof!

Lucky beotch! The view there really is incredible. The firehouse/SoundStation 7 was on the market last year, but they took it off to deal with some zoning issues and what to do with the recording equipment. Its an awesome building, and I would LOVE to get my hands on it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that building just blew me away. I would LOVE to have been able to buy it! It could really be a fantastic house. Its too bad that the neighborhood is so rough. I mean, i think I would be OK living there, but a lot of other people wouldnt. If you reopened the overhead doors then you could pull your cars right in. Fortress of Solitude!

Liam

Try the hill above Eagle Square/Rising Sun - Putnam Street off of Atwells, heading into the "bad" part of town. The view of downtown is remarkable from there, if a bit far. Bring a zoom lense!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out (and bring the zoom lens).

- Garris

You can see the Westin quite prominently from Dean Street at Route 10, but what a horrible place to stand and enjoy the view!

At least it creates a balance, even if it is a balance of extremes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was actually the area I was thinking of, more or less. I haven't found it quite yet, but somewhere near there is a "sweet spot" where the Westin is nicely integrated into the skyline.

I too wonder what kind of view the Federal Hill condos will have of downtown... It'll be quite nice, I wager...

- Garris

sorry if I may have missed it, but I just recently read that old article (sorry not exactly old).. by David Brussat..and he mentions 1 of the 5 'skyskrapers" to be 55 broadway?? I have been checking UrbanPlanet like 4 times daily and I havent read a thing about it :( Im guessing that it is old news. I'm just wondering is there any info about it?

55 Broadway is part of the Power Block proposal. Once we have more concrete information on it, it will probably get it's own thread. 55 Broadway is where the circular gas station was recently torn down at the corner of Broadway and Atwells across from the Holiday Inn.

• 1 month later...

55 Broadway is part of the Power Block proposal. Once we have more concrete information on it, it will probably get it's own thread. 55 Broadway is where the circular gas station was recently torn down at the corner of Broadway and Atwells across from the Holiday Inn.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.projo.com/metro/content/projo_2...13.2486d81.html

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Eamon O'Marah, of Blue Chip Properties, said they hope to break ground in October and complete the building in late 2007.

That break ground target is moved up, they previously were saying December.

That break ground target is moved up, they previously were saying December.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did see a couple of gentlemen on Westminster Street by the site on Wednesday talking about "just in time" construction scheduling. I was eavesdropping so I didn't stay to listen for too long.

I did see a couple of gentlemen on Westminster Street by the site on Wednesday talking about "just in time" construction scheduling.  I was eavesdropping so I didn't stay to listen for too long.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was I the only one that was shocked to see that the committee said to build even higher?

(From todays projo)

"Though the developer will need a zoning variance to build higher than 300 feet, the tower is still smaller than the Industrial National Bank Building (420 feet) and One Financial Plaza (408), better known as the Rhode Island Hospital Trust tower.

Johnson said the One Ten Westminster's shadow will fall over the high-rise buildings of the Financial District, not the low-rise buildings south of the proposed skyscraper.

Members of the committee suggested the builders could go even higher and recommended placing a spire at the top of the tower. The committee also suggested rounding off the columns in front of the lobby to match the columns on the Turk's Head Building and Arcade."

Was I the only one that was shocked to see that the committee said to build even higher?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that was a rather odd thing to come out of anyone's mouth.

OneTenSkyline001.jpg

I dunno, does it really need a spire?

What they were saying about integrating it stylistically into the Turks Head Building and Arcade on the Westminster side was encouraging. What I would really like to see is a continuation of the Arcade's second story balcony across the facade of 110.

Am I correct in assuming that all of the facades on Weybosset are staying. They keep saying two buildings are coming down, the two on Westminter. The Buck-a-Book and the 90 Westminster, which extends to Weybosset and will keep it's Weybosset facade. So does this mean the other buildings on Weybosset beside the Arcade are safe?? I sure as hell hope so, this would mean the Weybosset streetscape is unchanged. But all that stuff about loading docks has me wondering...

There's a little pocket park on Weybossett beside the Turks Head, perhaps that is where the loading docks will go?

Am I correct in assuming that all of the facades on Weybosset are staying. They keep saying two buildings are coming down, the two on Westminter. The Buck-a-Book and the 90 Westminster, which extends to Weybosset and will keep it's Weybosset facade. So does this mean the other buildings on Weybosset beside the Arcade are safe?? I sure as hell hope so, this would mean the Weybosset streetscape is unchanged. But all that stuff about loading docks has me wondering...

There's a little pocket park on Weybossett beside the Turks Head, perhaps that is where the loading docks will go?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't mind me, I'm just talking to myself.

I answered my own question by taking a second look at the aerial. You can see the buildings right next to the Arcade on Weybosset are still there. Also 110 buts right up against Turks Head where that pocket park is now, so I think I'm correct in assuming that that is where the loading docks will go. It sounds sad to lose that pocket park, but it's crap, no one uses it, it gets no sun, the riverfront parks are only a short walk away.

Increasing the hight of the building would ruin the eloquence of it's relationship with the existing towers along Kennedy plaza. It very cleverly mirrors the steps of the center building, the diagnals dance well between National Trust and (I forget the name) the center one. The vertical on left creates a nice tension with National Trust. I think It's almost brilliant, and certainly very sensitively done. The review committee can't help but interject; they exist to interfere. But I think they're all wet on the hieght issue, and definitely on the spire. Leave it alone.

This was actually the area I was thinking of, more or less.  I haven't found it quite yet, but somewhere near there is a "sweet spot" where the Westin is nicely integrated into the skyline. 

I too wonder what kind of view the Federal Hill condos will have of downtown...  It'll be quite nice, I wager...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to live on the 15th floor of the public housing tower on Federal Hill (it was one perk of being in Americorps), and the view of downtown and the water was pretty amazing. I could see a lot of Riverside.

It wasn't a luxury condo by any means, but that view sure made it a nice place to live.

Increasing the hight of the building would ruin the eloquence of it's relationship with the existing towers along Kennedy plaza. It very cleverly mirrors the steps of the center building, the diagnals dance well between National Trust and (I forget the name) the center one. The vertical on left creates a nice tension with National Trust. I think It's almost brilliant, and certainly very sensitively done. The review committee can't help but interject; they exist to interfere. But I think they're all wet on the hieght issue, and definitely on the spire. Leave it alone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. As much as I would push for height Downcity, I also would not have any problem with nothing ever being taller than the Superman Building.

I agree with Cotuit and I think most other people would. The Superman tower is our signature skyscraper. I think that one of the reasons that everybody is stopping short of topping it is the fact that if you're going to surpass it in height then you're going to have to at least match it in quality of appearance. I think most of us would be happy with the Superman being our tallest for at least another decade or so unless something absolutely breathtaking were to top it. It's our first "skyscraper", it's second in status only to the statehouse, I think it should be respected.

nice pictures....the arcade looks so small next to the new tower. The render looks even better from this angle...building fits in just perfect with that stone face.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The arcade won't look so small from the streetscape, of course, since the render is done from a distance that seems to assume that all of the financial buildings on Washington St don't exist :). The renderer is functionally standing in Kennedy Plaza looking through the buildings :). However, the OTW is nice. A wonderful project.

- Garris

Archived