POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Official word is W is committed to the 110 site, financing is still be worked out.

Now that might sound like, "oh, forget it then." but they have 13 locations slated for 2010, they all need financing. Chances are all 13 won't get built, but that doesn't mean we will be one of the ones not built.

Official word is W is committed to the 110 site, financing is still be worked out.

Now that might sound like, "oh, forget it then." but they have 13 locations slated for 2010, they all need financing. Chances are all 13 won't get built, but that doesn't mean we will be one of the ones not built.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Oh ok, I'll post this.

I guess you knew this was coming.

Panel delays decision on razing Providence façade

A developer is asking Providence’s Downcity Design Review Committee for permission to raze the former Providence National Bank building façade at 35 Weybosset St., and allow him to build a temporary parking lot at the site.

http://www.projo.com/ri/providence/content/DOWNTOWN_FACADE_VOTE_11-10-09_JUGD7RN_v26.3a6704a.html

Oh ok, I'll post this.

I guess you knew this was coming.

Panel delays decision on razing Providence façade

A developer is asking Providence’s Downcity Design Review Committee for permission to raze the former Providence National Bank building façade at 35 Weybosset St., and allow him to build a temporary parking lot at the site.

http://www.projo.com...26.3a6704a.html

Since the facade was to be incorporated into the new, and permanent, building, and, the parking lot is intended to be temporary, why not work out a plan that will leave the facade AND just pave the dirt lot? Once that facade is gone, it's gone forever!

Perhaps I should have read the article first, it sort of mentions that!

All of the parking lots downtown are where buildings formally stood. There should be an amendment to the existing law that says if a developer falls thru with their plans for building after demolition than they have to re-create the original building or sell the land to the next developer who will build on the lot.

Frankly, it would be as simple as changing the zoning so that parking was no longer a conforming use downtown, or instituting a tax on it. However, that will never happen because Joey P owns most of the lots. Let me tell you a story about him.

A few years ago, when he bought the Cranston Street trolley barn, a friend of mine had her letter to the editor of the Providence Journal published in the paper, where she talked about his pattern of knocking down buildings for temporary parking which becomes permanent, and how the trolley barn would fall soon if nothing was done to stop it. Shortly after that, she got a phone call from him at 6:30 A.M. on a Saturday, during which he said that "if she doesn't like it, then she should get the governor to get his ass down here, and move the state police barracks into my building", and hung up. It came down, predictably, after suffering a period of neglect.

Zoning will never change because Joey will put a hit out on every member of city council, or at least ruin every one of their careers personally (that is, if they're not already in on it themselves). It sounds like a cartoonish and antiquated story, but it's the truth, and I certainly don't blame a single one of them for being scared of him. Until someone's willing to take a bullet, we'll just have to wait around until he and his thugs are gone by attrition. They're the ones who are really running the city, not the mayor.

Frankly, it would be as simple as changing the zoning so that parking was no longer a conforming use downtown, or instituting a tax on it. However, that will never happen because Joey P owns most of the lots. Let me tell you a story about him.

A few years ago, when he bought the Cranston Street trolley barn, a friend of mine had her letter to the editor of the Providence Journal published in the paper, where she talked about his pattern of knocking down buildings for temporary parking which becomes permanent, and how the trolley barn would fall soon if nothing was done to stop it. Shortly after that, she got a phone call from him at 6:30 A.M. on a Saturday, during which he said that "if she doesn't like it, then she should get the governor to get his ass down here, and move the state police barracks into my building", and hung up. It came down, predictably, after suffering a period of neglect.

Zoning will never change because Joey will put a hit out on every member of city council, or at least ruin every one of their careers personally (that is, if they're not already in on it themselves). It sounds like a cartoonish and antiquated story, but it's the truth, and I certainly don't blame a single one of them for being scared of him. Until someone's willing to take a bullet, we'll just have to wait around until he and his thugs are gone by attrition. They're the ones who are really running the city, not the mayor.

Archived