POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

Cotuit, I agree that the comment to go higher is quite weird. Who suggested this? I think that many are starting to realize that we can still preserve the essence of our city with taller buildings....although it has taken some time. Also, I think that over the past decade and even more so the last few years, the importance of population density has hit home. Many are now becomming aware of the fact that when developers do market analysis, they want to see people, people and more people. We can have the most beautiful city in the world, but it almost a waste without population density and foot traffic. I think recognition of this is a true turning point for our city. BTW, I am not saying that this has been issue ignored or unadressed in the past.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While pretty pictures and announcements tend to get everyone excited, no project is a go until the shovel hits the ground. With the groundbreaking of Intercontintal's two towers next Monday and the significant residential component planned for the new Westin tower, the developers of OneTen should seriously rethink the scale of their plans. Regardless of everyone's wishful thinking, the market for upscale downtown living is only so deep and the first 2 guys to get in the ground are going to win the day.

OTW was announced almost a year after the other projects you mentioned were first proposed. I think people (like yourself) are very quick to assume that the Providence luxury market will be oversaturated instantly. Keep in mind, we are only talking a few hundred units here in an MSA of over 1.5 million people! Add the Boston MSA of 4 million and you're looking at some pretty decent candidates to occupy, oh, say 400 condominiums.

The FINAL design review meeting for this project will be held Monday, May 9th, by the Down City Review Committee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone know what time they hold those? Anyone going to try to make it? I'm not sure the Projo will publish a photo just because of a meeting like this...

- Garris

FYI - Got this today from 110 LLC.

"Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, there is a sales office downtown located in the first floor of the Turks Head building that will be opening for reservations within the next 6 weeks. If you need to speak with someone immediately, Residential Properties is handling all of the sales"

Further, only a certain amount of units will be available at the preconstruction phase (and precon prices...)

FYI - Got this today from 110 LLC.

"Thank you for your inquiry.  Yes, there is a sales office downtown located in the first floor of the Turks Head building that will be opening for reservations within the next 6 weeks.  If you need to speak with someone immediately, Residential Properties is handling all of the sales"

Further, only a certain amount of units will be available at the preconstruction phase (and precon prices...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi all-

I was informed by the developer today that the One Ten plan has now added 3 floors and a spiral lighted tower bringing the structure to over 400 feet.

As to saturation in a 1.7 M pop metro..no way...at least 400 more downcity units can be filled in 2 years...people want out of Boston metro

""As to saturation in a 1.7 M pop metro..no way...at least 400 more downcity units can be filled in 2 years...people want out of Boston metro""

was this comment meaning that people want out of the boston metro.. including the providence area??? it confused me the way it was worded

I was informed by the developer today that the One Ten plan has now added 3 floors and a spiral lighted tower bringing the structure to over 400 feet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

428ft. Bank of America ("Superman") Building

410ft. One Financial Plaza ("Hospital Trust Tower")

400+ft. OneTen Westminster

???ft. Second Westin Tower

329ft. Westin Providence

311ft. Textron Tower

285ft. 50 Kennedy Plaza

235ft. WaterPlace Tower

223ft. The State House

220ft. The Biltmore

216ft. The County Courthouse

213ft. WaterPlace Tower

185ft. First Baptist Church

180ft. Brown Sciences Library

175ft. Dominica Manor Federal Hill

The condos in the Power Block at about 25 floors should fall in around somewhere between the 2nd Westin Tower and 50 Kennedy Plaza, 250-300-ish feet.

I see a  spiral vs highest occupiable floor debate over the tallest building in providence on the horizon!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, by occupied floor, the Superman Building is shorter than the Hospital Trust Tower. Hospital Trust is often cited as the city's tallest as a result.

They haven't updated the renderings on their site to refect the spiral yet.

Look for Grant's Block to come in at around 200 feet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

REALLY!? :blink:

That's taller than GTECH and Citizens! Citizens is 180feet, 13 floors. How many floors is Grant's Block going to be? That sounds a lot different than the most recent public proposals for Grant's Block.

does anyone think that this spiral lighted tower wil be tacky?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends on how gaudy they make it. I was thinking the other day about the light on top of the Pru in Bostion. Something like that, but scaled down might actually be kind of cool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they push it to 441 we can steal the tallest residential tower in New England title away from Hartford 21. ;)

Of course, 441ft. would be significantly taller than the 428ft. Superman Building.

I think we all know, including the people behind 110 west., that if we added those 40 or 50 feet... ( lets say that translates to 4 more floors of condos) that the economy in providence can definately handle it. Don't you all agree?? So what is the issue with the height??

I think we all know, including the people behind 110 west., that if we added those 40 or 50 feet... ( lets say that translates to 4 more floors of condos) that the economy in providence can definately handle it. Don't you all agree?? So what is the issue with the height??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no doubt that the market is hot here right now, but there is still a degree of risk, there's a lot in the pipeline right now. Everything coming out of the planning department right now points to height not being an issue, but they still need to make sure they can sell. I think it all depends on the pre-sale interest they are getting right now. The Cosmopolitan and the Westminster lofts sold quick, but there was no competition. We have 3 towers in the Power Block, 2 at WaterPlace, the New Westin Tower, OneTen, Federal Hill Rialto, Federal Hill Knight Street, an expanded Grant's Block, numerous projects on the East Side, stuff in the pipeline in Olneyville, scattered stuff in South Providence, Conley Wharf, Capital Cove, Pawtucket... There is A LOT coming to Providence, I think it's still a risky market considering how much is coming. No ones exactly sure what we can absorb, and that damn bubble is hanging over all the developers heads.

Not to mention the 10,000 pound gorilla in the room that everyone has stopped talking about... another September 11th.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe the people in fox point are protesting that the hieght might couse shadows for the trees they want to put near the highway!

Archived