Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

Right, so the answer is to keep delaying so people will never be forced to be ready... :thumbsup:

Is TV a necessity or a luxury? I'm confused...

On a side note, Ireland is becoming the first developed country to ban incandescent lightbulbs. The US is following suit - by 2014 (when the rest of the world will probably be 100% LED) we will have 30% efficient incandescent lightbulbs. Go America!

Part of the reason is that the program that gave vouchers to people to get the converters has run out of money, leaving a lot of people blank. Personally, I don't see any reason for the change except so the content providers can better control their content. Remember the whole "plug the a-hole" thing (a=analog)?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the rationale for the vouchers is two-fold.

Is TV a necessity? Well, not exactly. But it is our primary source for distributing information, the emergency broadcast system runs through television, if a storm is coming people turn to TV for information, etc. Are there other sources for this information, yes, but we've created a society where TV is a vital part of our information distribution.

The second, we (the people) own the airwaves that the government controls on our behalf. Access to those airwaves has always been free, changing the rules (i.e. the way we access the bandwidth) midstream creates a cost to access a resource that formerly was free. The voucher program allows people to continue to freely access that resource.

That said, rather than roll back the transition, the voucher program should get a bailout. The providers have all prepared to change on the set date, we shouldn't put the brakes on it now.

I think the rationale for the vouchers is two-fold.

Is TV a necessity? Well, not exactly. But it is our primary source for distributing information, the emergency broadcast system runs through television, if a storm is coming people turn to TV for information, etc. Are there other sources for this information, yes, but we've created a society where TV is a vital part of our information distribution.

The second, we (the people) own the airwaves that the government controls on our behalf. Access to those airwaves has always been free, changing the rules (i.e. the way we access the bandwidth) midstream creates a cost to access a resource that formerly was free. The voucher program allows people to continue to freely access that resource.

That said, rather than roll back the transition, the voucher program should get a bailout. The providers have all prepared to change on the set date, we shouldn't put the brakes on it now.

Using that rationale we should be handing out free television sets on every street corner. The bandwidth and airwaves are free capturing those air waves and listening or watching it has never been free.

Using that rationale we should be handing out free television sets on every street corner. The bandwidth and airwaves are free capturing those air waves and listening or watching it has never been free.

Right, but there's never been a reason to have to upgrade your TV to change that if you have always used an antenna to watch TV. Imagine having to all of a sudden upgrade your AM/FM radio because they decide to switch to satellite. This is the equivalent of that.

I'm still of the opinion that there is absolutely no valid reason for this switch except to provide the content providers more control. I can understand not being able to buy a VCR anymore to watch your old VHS tapes. I can understand not being able to buy an analog cassette player because they're outdated and you can't make money on them anymore. You have to pay for cassette and VHS tapes. The airwaves are free. You just need a device to grab them. This is why this switch should never happen. If I have an old TV and it still works for me, why should I be forced to upgrade it if it's always worked and I've always been able to watch the 5 channels that broadcast free over the air? I've already paid to watch and listen. Now I'm being forced to pay again.

Cotuit's right on this one. If this switch is mandatory (which it is), anyone with a TV that won't work after Feb. 17 should get a free converter box.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what the policy is on street handicap spaces? My street seems to have an over-abundance of them. I know for a fact that 2 of them are no longer needed (it was a house that was, might still be, for sale, I actually looked at it before buying this one, had 2 elderly women). It just seems like a waste to have a street lined with handicap spaces when they're no longer needed. How do they get added, and, more importantly, how long do they last?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

What's up? A couple of guys over at the Hartford Forum and myself were just wondering what happened to the PVD Forum. Why is it suddenly so dead over here? Are you guys on a different site or what?

I don't post here very often anymore because I really don't like the new design of the site. We've also got some new blogs where most of the action seems to have gone.

I don't post here very often anymore because I really don't like the new design of the site. We've also got some new blogs where most of the action seems to have gone.

Is Greater City Providence the one you guys are most active on? I've checked it out a few times. It's a very nice site. I figured you guys had to still be active somewhere.

• 4 months later...

Rocktucket is back and new for 2010. An all-day festival of music, art and food with some surprises in the mix, including Big Nazo for the kids! Come on down to check out the bands, grab a beer at the tent (brought to you by Narragansett, Harpoon, and Trinity Brewhouse), browse music memorbilia at the Treasure Hunt, or grab some food from one of the local vendors along the street. It's a block party for everyone who loves a good time!

* Parts and Labor (NYC)

* Wild Yaks (NYC)

* Olneyville Sound System (PVD)

* Chachi (PWT)

* Poorly Drawn People (PVD)

* Big Rush (PWT)

* Ming Toro (PWT)

* Girl Haggard (PVD)

* Six Star General (PVD)

* Jesse Minute (PVD)

* Maria Monk (PVD)

* and Mahi Mahi! (PVD)