Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need something for work, but would also like it for UP.

I need everyone to help me create a list of social service and community organizations in Providence (and the Greater Providence area). I'm specifically looking for agencies that work closely with and are advocates for minority communities, American American, Jewish, Hispanic, Gay & Lesbian, Women... For UP I'll create a page of links, for work I'm looking to create a library of brochures and posters on health and diversity issues.

I'm too worn out to seek out and put all this together myself. So that's why I'm asking you all to do it for me. :)

I need everyone to help me create a list of social service and community organizations in Providence (and the Greater Providence area). I'm specifically looking for agencies that work closely with and are advocates for minority communities, American American, Jewish, Hispanic, Gay & Lesbian, Women... For UP I'll create a page of links, for work I'm looking to create a library of brochures and posters on health and diversity issues.

I'm too worn out to seek out and put all this together myself. So that's why I'm asking you all to do it for me.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

american american... hmmmm... :silly:

how about the black rep... does that count? and the providence center? i don't know too many others... i'm sure there some big hispanic groups and gay/lesbian groups considering the large hispanic population and how gay-friendly providence is...

Ok, off the top of my head...

Jewish:

- Jewish Federation of RI: www.jfri.org

- Jewish Community Center: www.jccri.org

- Brown-RISD Hillel: www.brownhillel.org

- Chabad of College Hill: (no web site) 401-421-1486

Medical:

- Free or discounted medications: http://www.rxforri.org/

Volunteering:

- Volunteer Cener of RI: http://www.vcri.org/

Disabled:

- Governor's Commision on the Disabled: http://www.gcd.state.ri.us/

- Work Opportunities Unlimited

- The ARC of Northern RI: http://www.uwri.org/

- The ARC of Blackstone Valley: http://www.bvcriarc.org/

- RI Developmental Disability Council: http://www.riddc.org/

- RI Parents Information Network: http://www.ripin.org/

- RI State Disability Resource Directory: http://www.info.state.ri.us/disa.htm

Ok, that's all I have right at hand for now...

I'm too worn out to seek out and put all this together myself. So that's why I'm asking you all to do it for me.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very quick off the top of my head:

Aids Care Ocean State

CHisPA (hispanic organization)

International Institute

Dorcas Place

Urban League

Fededal Hill House

Providence Center

Crossroads RI

lots of CDC's (Greater Elmwood Neighborhood Services, West Elmwood Housing Devel. Corp. SWAP, The Elmwood Foundation, SPDC, Olneyville Housing Devel. Corp. etc.)

Family Life Center

MAP

South Providence Neighborhood Ministries

Amos House

A couple more from my neighborhood:

Camp Street Ministries

Mt Hope Learning Center

Very quick off the top of my head:

Aids Care Ocean State

CHisPA (hispanic organization)

International Institute

Dorcas Place

Urban League

Fededal Hill House

Providence Center

Crossroads RI

lots of CDC's (Greater Elmwood Neighborhood Services, West Elmwood Housing Devel. Corp. SWAP, The Elmwood Foundation, SPDC, Olneyville Housing Devel. Corp. etc.)

Family Life Center

MAP

South Providence Neighborhood Ministries

Amos House

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I realize this might be a tall order but I don't get the ProJo and I can't find on their website a copy of the picture they have on the cover of the Rhode Island section today. It's this crazy shot of a stranded car in cranston with water almost up to the windows. If someone could scan it and share it with all of us, that'd be sweet :rolleyes:

I realize this might be a tall order but I don't get the ProJo and I can't find on their website a copy of the picture they have on the cover of the Rhode Island section today. It's this crazy shot of a stranded car in cranston with water almost up to the windows. If someone could scan it and share it with all of us, that'd be sweet  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here it is:

CranstonFlood91605.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone -

I'm a new member to UrbanPlanet, and have really enjoyed reading through all the posts. I don't live in Providence - I live in Tiverton, but I and my wife went to college in Providence (RIC) and I worked in the city for 4 years prior to my new job in Newport. We like the city, and enjoy it with the kids when we can. I would have introduced myself earlier, but I still don't have a decent avatar!!!! :) I'll join in the topics from time to time.

I think once the GTECH building, the new Marriott hotel, the new condos at Waterplace, OTW, and Westin2 are completed, Providence will take another step forward in being one of the premier urban areas in the US.

If only "The bridge on Viagara" could be dismantled, the drive in from I-195 West would provide a better view of the city driving in!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I've been reading the boards for a couple months, and I'm very impressed by the range of topics, the thoughtful discussion, and the good humor. I'm a Prov native who left town in the late 1980s and returned in 2000 to find the city reinventing itself. When I came back to town once in 1997, I walked around the riverwalk at night and couldn't get over the fact that there were people...walking...in/near downtown...at night! It blew me away. Glad to be in prov and in the conversation.

riari

This is a little off topic, but I've been meaning to mention it for awhile.

From my limited experience, I've found the opposite. Most of my friends who grew up in Providence have STAYED elsewhere after college (with the vast majority in New York and a few in Boston). I wish I could report otherwise, but that's the reality. Granted I grew up on the East Side and went to overly-expensive private school, so people had the mobility to leave...not many of us have come back voluntarily. Many of my friends claim they want to return "some day" but they'd rather spend these years in places like New York, LA or San Fran. I'm not going to argue that little PVD can ever compete with those places, but I think it's worth a discussion.

I actually considered moving here when I was about 25, from Boston. My job situtation had taken a turn, and I wasn't quite sure what to do. I ended up taking another job in the Boston area, then 6 months later heading off to NYC. (NYC-PVD? NYC-PVD?, seems like odd choices, I know).

I think when I was in my early 20s (the mid 90s), Providence may not have quite been the city I wanted to live in, as a young person. The way Providence is now, it might be a bit more attractive, but if you have the opportunity to live in Boston or NYC at that age, it's hard to justify staying in Providence (or any small city). But now that I'm in my early 30s, Providence totally fits the bill for me. I can totally see leaving during your 20s, then coming back. Problem is, most people my age are having kids, and we all know the schools situation here.

thanks for the welcomes, but whoops I meant to post somewhere else. It'll take some getting used how this urban planet thing works (easy to read, but not so easy to debut in the right place). I was away for college/work/gradschool/work for the 90s. Just like Lovecraft, I figured out that there was really no point in settling down anywhere else. Everything else was temporary. I had drunk too much water from the Athenaeum fountain to resist.