Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

Mayor names Waterplace Park amphitheatre for late civil rights leader Rosa Parks.

I heard an announcement was being made today in the amphitheatre and thought it would be great if he actually named the amphitheatre for her, but I didn't think it would be that. I'm glad I was wrong. I'm also glad they didn't name the "Intermodal" transit station in Kennedy Plaza for her (you know, the whole bus connection), because that's not such a great thing to have named after you.

Edited by Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say no clubs, do you mean you don't like to dance or don't like it to be loud?

Eliminating loud gets rid of most of the popular places, like RiRa and McFadden's.

For quieter places which aren't quite dive bars, try the Wickenden Pub and The Wild Colonial.

I don't mind noise, I'm just not big on the techno/light show/hip-hop type clubs. If anyone's from Worcester, my style's Leitrim's, Irish Times, Mahoney's, Tavern 208 type of places. But anyways all these suggestions look pretty good, I'll check them out.

Unfortunately I need help again from you guys that know Providence. My family and girlfriend are coming down Saturday and we're going out for my early birthday dinner. I'm looking for a good restaurant to go to that night. I haven't been up on Federal Hill at all and my family is Italian so that's certainly an area I'd like to explore. Can anyone recommend a restaurant that has some very good Italian food? Price isn't really a factor however my parents like more relaxed atmospheres as opposed to snobby places.

I don't mind noise, I'm just not big on the techno/light show/hip-hop type clubs. If anyone's from Worcester, my style's Leitrim's, Irish Times, Mahoney's, Tavern 208 type of places. But anyways all these suggestions look pretty good, I'll check them out.

Unfortunately I need help again from you guys that know Providence. My family and girlfriend are coming down Saturday and we're going out for my early birthday dinner. I'm looking for a good restaurant to go to that night. I haven't been up on Federal Hill at all and my family is Italian so that's certainly an area I'd like to explore. Can anyone recommend a restaurant that has some very good Italian food? Price isn't really a factor however my parents like more relaxed atmospheres as opposed to snobby places.

i can never recommend cassarinos enough... not snobby, not formal, not expensive, huge portions, top notch food. it's on the hill near the corner of atwells and dean st.

sounds like you like low key bars to go for a few good beers and good conversation... try blake's tavern (i think it's on washington st) and the trinity brewhouse (behind the trinity rep)... also, near PC is the abbey on admiral st.

I've never been to any of those places, but it sounds like you might like The Red Room.

It's located here. In a little cinderblock building next to the highway ramp.

I've never been to any of those places, but it sounds like you might like The Red Room.

It's located here. In a little cinderblock building next to the highway ramp.

Hmm, not sure if you read my post correctly. I don't like hip-hop/techno/electronica. McFadden's and Trinity Brew House sound like they're more my style. Thanks for taking the time to link me though, I do appreciate it. :)

Edited by JJK5

i can never recommend cassarinos enough... not snobby, not formal, not expensive, huge portions, top notch food. it's on the hill near the corner of atwells and dean st.

Jim, if I can call you that, I'd like to know what you recommend at Cassarino's, and why. Is it formal, or more casual?

http://www.cassarinosri.com/

Edited by Frankie811

JJK, there is a whole thread on dining in PVD. As for the hill, Cassarino's is a good choice if you want traditional Italian. But there are great restaurants all over town of varying degrees of price and atmosphere.

If you like places like Leitrim's, then Mcfadden's or RiRa will be fine though maybe a bit more expensive than you are used to. Expect to pay $4 per pint. You will also like (and maybe prefer since it is a little less glammed up) Patrick's Pub on Smith Hill and The Wild Colonial on South Water St.

There are also plenty of smaller places around.

Jim, if I can call you that, I'd like to know what you recommend at Cassarino's, and why. Is it formal, or more casual?

http://www.cassarinosri.com/

the cassarino special (it's under veal) is awesome. as is the scallops aurora. both large meals, very filling. of course, i had to eat the whole thing... i've had other dishes there, but i honestly can't remember what they were. they might've been specials that aren't on that menu. my girlfriend did have something that wasn't all that great, i can't remember what that was either, i wanna say the fruitti di mare.

the cassarino special is exactly what it says, but it's a large piece of veal and lots of stuff piled on top. it's more of a cassarole than a traditional veal dish. it's sort of your classic italian "just throw some of this on it" dish. i've had that a couple times and was impressed both times (by both the quality and the quantity).

the scallops aurora is scallops, penne (i think), and sun dried tomatoes in a pink vodka sauce. some places go skimpy on the seafood because it costs them more, but not here. and scallops are generally hit or miss. they're easy to under or over cook. i've had this dish a few times and they've alwasy been cooked to perfection. and the sauce is simply amazing.

cassarinos is honestly some of the best italian food i've had, and it's not expensive. my girlfriend and i got a carafe (maybe a half carafe) of wine, salads, and main dishes and ate for under $50 (not including tip). i'm not a wine man, but whatever their house burgundy is, it's pretty good.

these restaurant posts should probably be moved to teh dining thread...

EDIT: i forgot to answer you other question... it's more of a casual atmosphere. i obviously wouldn't go there wearing jeans and a tshirt, but i have been wearing jeans and a rugby shirt.

Edited by runawayjim

my girlfriend and i got a carafe (maybe a half carafe) of wine

I can't remember the last time I've seen a carafe of wine listed on a menu. Usually these days you either have a choice of a glass or a bottle of wine. I called Bruce Newberry (food critic) on the radio once to ask him why, but I was cut off immediately when I began to criticize the food at Napa Valley Grille. :whistling:

I can't remember the last time I've seen a carafe of wine listed on a menu. Usually these days you either have a choice of a glass or a bottle of wine. I called Bruce Newberry (food critic) on the radio once to ask him why, but I was cut off immediately when I began to criticize the food at Napa Valley Grille. :whistling:

you can only get a carafe or half carafe of their house wine. it was pretty good (maybe not from a connosieur's point of view, but i liked it), and i generally don't like wine. the half carafe was nice for the 2 of us. i had to drive so i only had like a glass and a half, but it allowed us to just have a couple glasses of wine for a cheaper price than by the glass or bottle since it was just the 2 of us.

cassarino's is a pretty classy restaurant, but it's casual, comfortable and not pretentious.

you can only get a carafe or half carafe of their house wine. it was pretty good (maybe not from a connosieur's point of view, but i liked it), and i generally don't like wine. the half carafe was nice for the 2 of us. i had to drive so i only had like a glass and a half, but it allowed us to just have a couple glasses of wine for a cheaper price than by the glass or bottle since it was just the 2 of us.

cassarino's is a pretty classy restaurant, but it's casual, comfortable and not pretentious.

I was surprised at how casual Angelo's was. And I was even more surprised at how average their food was considering the publicity that they receive. The college kids obviously love it. Imagine being seated with strangers. The veddy idea! :shok:

I was surprised at how casual Angelo's was. And I was even more surprised at how average their food was considering the publicity that they receive. The college kids obviously love it. Imagine being seated with strangers. The veddy idea! :shok:

i should've done my research, but i did valentine's day dinner at angelo's... oops. luckily she didn't care. the food was decent, but it was very casual. it wasn't as good as people said it was though. college kids love it because it's a cheap quick place to get a good meal before basketball games or a long night of drinking.

i should've done my research, but i did valentine's day dinner at angelo's... oops. luckily she didn't care. the food was decent, but it was very casual. it wasn't as good as people said it was though. college kids love it because it's a cheap quick place to get a good meal before basketball games or a long night of drinking.

Oops indeed. Angelos is also a favorite of parents with kids as well, for much the same casual reasons...

- Garris

Where can a visitor to Providence go to play tennis? I.E. not have to be a member of a club or something. Suggestions closest to downtown are better, but even Warwick or EP and the like are viable options (not Newport), as long as the facility is worth the trip. Indoor and outdoor options too.

Thanks!

Where can a visitor to Providence go to play tennis? I.E. not have to be a member of a club or something. Suggestions closest to downtown are better, but even Warwick or EP and the like are viable options (not Newport), as long as the facility is worth the trip. Indoor and outdoor options too.

Thanks!

I think Roger Williams Park is your best bet. I believe there are tennis courts just after the entrance to the park on Broad Street, just as you enter the park. From the main gate they would be after the zoo. Also, I think Cranston has courts on Park ave, just outside the south gate from Roger Williams Zoo. Slater Park has courts as well, and they are pretty good. My wife was played in the Pawtucket leauge there for years...

Thanks!

Outdoor there are a couple of good courts on the East Side.

Hope High has a bunch although they aren't always in the best shape (and one set of them is under trees so if you can it is helpful to bring something to clear twigs/leaves. They are also pretty busy with Brown kids.

a much better set is along Elmgrove Ave. right near the JCC. They are attached to the middle school over there who's name escapes me. they are always in great shape, but only 5 courts, so you may have to wait.

Also, closer to me in Pawtucket, there are the Oak hill courts of which there are only two but they are less busy than the others I've mentioned.

Hi all.

I just joined as this seemed to have lots of good in terms of local information on Providence / New England.

A little about me:

I'm moving to Providence after 7+ years living in the inner DC suburbs (Arlington). Before that, I went to college in New Haven, so I'm a little familiar with New England & some of its quirks. Yes, I'm a Yalie. Before that I was a midwesterner.

I love cities. I currently drive my car maybe twice a week, and otherwise use mass transit / feet / bike, depending on weather and time of day. I personally think most of our traffic and pollution problems could be solved if people gave up the idea that they need to live in a 3000 sq ft house on 4 acres for a family of 3, and realized they are perfectly happy in a townhouse in the city.

So, the things I'd most like to know are:

Where are the best places to get beer (pubs, preferably if there are any that stock Belgian brews)?

Why is parking 3 times as expensive in Providence as it is in DC?

Did I just hit the radio on a bad weekend, or is there music played on any non-NPR station that was made outside of the 80s?

I'm sure I'll have more questions after I move up.

Thanks!

Traz

Where are the best places to get beer (pubs, preferably if there are any that stock Belgian brews)?

Did I just hit the radio on a bad weekend, or is there music played on any non-NPR station that was made outside of the 80s?

Welcome trazom:

On the music front, I don't really listen to the ready, but check out WBRU and someone tell me, didn't FNX launch a signal down here?

I'll let someone else tackle the pub question, I don't get out much. :ph34r:

Parking, is it really that expensive? I can't imagine why it would be so much more than DC. We do have an overnight parking ban, so people who don't have offstreet parking are kind of held hostage to the garages. I don't have a car, so I don't worry about it. :thumbsup:

I covered this in another thread but it's just a rant. Providence radio right now sucks. It used to be cool. BRU is ok. They are actually pretty good but compared to what they used to be they are barely ok. HJY's playlist seems to be stuck in around 1993 while adding in one or two of the most vapid new songs available once in a while. I guess the adult easy listening stations are actually pretty good if you are into falling asleep behind the wheel or if you like riding elevators.

FNX did have a signal for a while. They don't anymore. It was a product of the station being bought and they played basic crap. 101.7 in boston went back to playing their own playlists but the affiliate stations (afaik there was a RI affilliate, a NH affiliate, and another, maybe Worcester are) kept playing basically KROC's playlist. Benign crap. FNX 101.7 is better than BRU and if you have a good antenna you can get it, the problem is that 101.5, the oldies station in RI, is a huge signal and it kind of swamps over the rest of that area of the band. I used to lament this endlessly.

You can listen to college radio. I forget the freq's right now but MarkOne or Liam should be able to point you correctly. Also BRU does have one really good half hour every day which is the News at 9. so from 9 to 9:30 they are actually playing some new stuff. They used to be pretty avant garde, though. Now they are mostly boring, IMOBO.

as for pubs, there was a thread around here somewhere about this. It may even be this one. Anyway, it all depends what you are looking for. Wickenden has the largest selection but there are a few others with good selections. you won't find anyone specializing in Belgians as there is too much winter here. Places tend to stock lagers, porters, and stouts more than you might find in other areas of the country. You will find Stella Artois on tap in most places nowadays, though, they have done a huge push in the last two years. I believe the Wickenden has about 10 Belgian-esque ales. (They have over 100 beers)

Be prepared for public transit not quite up to par with the Metro, though. :(

edit: Also, regarding BRU on the weekend. On Sunday they change format from "alt-rock" to r&b. If you are not into r&b this would go a long way towards explaining why you had trouble finding anything new. Also they are still technically college radio BRU is for BRown University.

Edited by brick

Parking, is it really that expensive? I can't imagine why it would be so much more than DC. We do have an overnight parking ban, so people who don't have offstreet parking are kind of held hostage to the garages. I don't have a car, so I don't worry about it.

Well, maybe not 3x as much, but it is significantly higher.

Monthly parking passes run from $75-$150 in the DC area, depending. I've seen very few charge more. I currently live in Arlington, on the subway line, which is extremely built up. They keep on tearing down 8 story buildings to build 20+ story buildings. And have them fill to capacity in under a year. Apartment buildings usually give one parking spot in the garage for free, and a second one for another $50. Plus there's parking from 5pm-8am on almost all streets, some with meters until 7pm, but otherwise free.

The places I've been looking at so far have been charging $200-250 a month per car.

traz

Hi all.

I just joined as this seemed to have lots of good in terms of local information on Providence / New England.

A little about me:

I'm moving to Providence after 7+ years living in the inner DC suburbs (Arlington). Before that, I went to college in New Haven, so I'm a little familiar with New England & some of its quirks. Yes, I'm a Yalie. Before that I was a midwesterner.

I love cities. I currently drive my car maybe twice a week, and otherwise use mass transit / feet / bike, depending on weather and time of day. I personally think most of our traffic and pollution problems could be solved if people gave up the idea that they need to live in a 3000 sq ft house on 4 acres for a family of 3, and realized they are perfectly happy in a townhouse in the city.

I'm sure I'll have more questions after I move up.

Thanks!

Traz

good beer can be had in a number of places. i'm not sure on the belgian brews, but the trinity brewhouse makes awesome beer and has the best IPA i've ever had. blake's tavern is also a great place for beer. There's a place in wakefield called the mews tavern, which, in addition to having 69 beers on tap (many are belgian), also has incredible burgers (i've also heard their pizza is decent, but i've never had the pizza there). they also have a decent martini bar upstairs called cecilia's. i haven't been to too many other bars in providence though...

radio... i don't listen to it much anyways, but coming from new haven, i used to listen to 99.1 WPLR all the time (best morning show ever with smith and barber and now chaz and AJ are pretty good to). but back to RI... HJY (94.1) was the closest to PLR i could find, but they play a lot of harder rock and less classic rock. what kind of music are you looking for? BRU (95.5) plays a lot of alternative modern-rock... it's a lot of that pop-punk/emo/just plain terrible modern rock crap (at least i think it's crap, but i haven't heard too many new bands that i'd consider decent). there's also a classic rock station out of boston (100.7) that is decent and comes in in most of prov. and there's WDOM, the providence college station at 91.3 which plays all sorts of stuff... but because a lot of the kids here are into either rap or emo/pop-punk, that's what you get. there's also this station that calls itself a light rock station (101.5)... but it plays some strange mixes of the 60's, 70's, 80's... lots of oldies and easy listening, but also a lot of random classic rock. it's a pretty good station. there's a lighter classic rock station out of new bedford i think at 105.1. and i can't recall the frequency of it, but the URI station comes in up here on occasion... WRIU. i realize that's a large variety, but possibly not really what you're looking for. i'm considering getting sirius for my car...

i don't think parking is all that expensive here. you can park in the mall garage for up to 3 hours for $1. it used to be like $8 unless you got your parking ticket validated, which meant spending $10 in a single store in the mall. and most of the lots on weekend nights are $10. i paid $12 in a lot in center city in philly when i went out to eat there (would've taken public transit, but it was cold and the girlfriend's on crutches). you want expensive parking, go to boston or nyc. it's really not bad here, about as much as you'd pay in any comparably sized city (new haven, hartford, worcester, even philly was cheap).

Providence radio right now sucks.

I'm following Howard to Sirius. When I do listen to the radio, I listen to WMVY online through iTunes. They're on the Vineyard and have a signal in Newport, but I don't think it reaches Providence. They're rather folky, mix of new and old, some popular stuff, and some obsure stuff, but less obsure than they used to be.

i don't think parking is all that expensive here. you can park in the mall garage for up to 3 hours for $1. it used to be like $8 unless you got your parking ticket validated, which meant spending $10 in a single store in the mall. and most of the lots on weekend nights are $10. i paid $12 in a lot in center city in philly when i went out to eat there (would've taken public transit, but it was cold and the girlfriend's on crutches). you want expensive parking, go to boston or nyc. it's really not bad here, about as much as you'd pay in any comparably sized city (new haven, hartford, worcester, even philly was cheap).

I think he's looking for monthly parking. But on the event parking, I walk by the Dunk most nights on my way home, it ranges from $8 to $25 to park around the Dunk (Paolino's gas station lot having the biggest swings) depending on who's playing. The poor saps seeing Britney and American Idol last year were shelling out $25 to park with Paolino, I think the Holiday Inn was charging the same.