Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

as for pubs, there was a thread around here somewhere about this. It may even be this one. Anyway, it all depends what you are looking for. Wickenden has the largest selection but there are a few others with good selections. you won't find anyone specializing in Belgians as there is too much winter here. Places tend to stock lagers, porters, and stouts more than you might find in other areas of the country. You will find Stella Artois on tap in most places nowadays, though, they have done a huge push in the last two years. I believe the Wickenden has about 10 Belgian-esque ales. (They have over 100 beers)

Be prepared for public transit not quite up to par with the Metro, though. :(

Thanks for the info. I like beer in general, but my favorite place in DC is heavily Belgian oriented The Brick, so I'm going to miss having that around. Maybe I'll have to start my own business running a Belgian pub :D .

On public transit. I'm going to miss griping about Metro. I mean, the complaints about having to wait 45 minutes while 15 trains pass by, so packed to the gills with people that you cannot even get into the train, at least mean that there's an abundance of trains. They're just not keeping up with the crowds. And the ever non-working escalators. Why couldn't they build stairs like every other subway system.... *sigh*

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. I like beer in general, but my favorite place in DC is heavily Belgian oriented The Brick, so I'm going to miss having that around. Maybe I'll have to start my own business running a Belgian pub :D .

Let me know and you'll have your first customer!

edit: And listen to Cotuit. Sunset is great.

Edited by brick

Maybe I'll have to start my own business running a Belgian pub :D .

Please open a franchise of The Sunset Grill & Tap from Allston (Boston neighbourhood) in Providence. I'll be your best friend. Actually, I haven't been there since I was in my early 20s, I'd probably hate it now. I'm too old and crotchety now. :lol:

I'm following Howard to Sirius. When I do listen to the radio, I listen to WMVY online through iTunes. They're on the Vineyard and have a signal in Newport, but I don't think it reaches Providence. They're rather folky, mix of new and old, some popular stuff, and some obsure stuff, but less obsure than they used to be.

MVY rocks!!! i think you can get it in newport or the barrington/bristol area. i've also heard that in the summer it comes in in narragansett.

Please open a franchise of The Sunset Grill & Tap from Allston (Boston neighbourhood) in Providence. I'll be your best friend. Actually, I haven't been there since I was in my early 20s, I'd probably hate it now. I'm too old and crotchety now. :lol:

unless your meal was comp'd.

MVY rocks!!! i think you can get it in newport or the barrington/bristol area. i've also heard that in the summer it comes in in narragansett.

I grew up on the Cape, so I grew up listening to MVY, whenever I drive down there I start fiddling with the radio around New Bedford trying to catch it as soon as possible. I'm listening to it right now through iTunes, They're playing a Christmas song right now though. :shok: (I think it's Tom Waits though, so it's all good).

If you guys like the folk-y stuff on MVY I'm surprised you aren't at all into the alt-country type stuff. You don't hear it much on the radio, but on the internet you can obviously check out a few. I'm not into it (or folk music) myself, but here are a few names to start with:

Wilco

Ryan Adams

the Shins

Neutral Milk Hotel

the Doves

the Decemberists

Iron and Wine

It's not really folk, but you might like it, especially if you are into people like Dylan or Jeff Buckley.

If you guys like the folk-y stuff on MVY I'm surprised you aren't at all into the alt-country type stuff. You don't hear it much on the radio, but on the internet you can obviously check out a few. I'm not into it (or folk music) myself, but here are a few names to start with:

Wilco

Ryan Adams

the Shins

Neutral Milk Hotel

the Doves

the Decemberists

Iron and Wine

It's not really folk, but you might like it, especially if you are into people like Dylan or Jeff Buckley.

i enjoy ryan adams, it seems he might be with phil and friends upcoming shows in new york (considering phil named the tour the "hell i still love you new york" tour). i'm not sure some of wilco's stuff is much like what's on mvy, but they're pretty good too...

i have yet to hear his latest album though...

i enjoy ryan adams, it seems he might be with phil and friends upcoming shows in new york (considering phil named the tour the "hell i still love you new york" tour). i'm not sure some of wilco's stuff is much like what's on mvy, but they're pretty good too...

i have yet to hear his latest album though...

Yeah I'm not really saying you would hear that stuff on mvy. I'm more saying that if you like classic rock and folk, this is a kind of new genre you might be interested in. Your first post sounded like a guy who hadn't listened to any music copyrighted after 1992 or something (no offense, I have many friends like this) I think it's important that good music gets promoted more so that record companies can get the message that the overproduced bubblegum crap they have been mass producing for the last 6-8 years is not what everyone wants. More decent bands deserve a chance instead of 6 more Blink 182 soundalikes.

Yeah I'm not really saying you would hear that stuff on mvy. I'm more saying that if you like classic rock and folk, this is a kind of new genre you might be interested in. Your first post sounded like a guy who hadn't listened to any music copyrighted after 1992 or something (no offense, I have many friends like this) I think it's important that good music gets promoted more so that record companies can get the message that the overproduced bubblegum crap they have been mass producing for the last 6-8 years is not what everyone wants. More decent bands deserve a chance instead of 6 more Blink 182 soundalikes.

haha... i am actually a big fan of music... i just haven't really heard much that i really like... i'm a big phish fan, but that doesn't mean i only do jambands, although they are a big part of my music collection, as is classic rock (although the classic rock is a lot of the folky/bluesy stuff like the band, the dead, the allmans, dylan, etc).

i need to get back to listening to different types of music. i do love mvy. and i do enjoy the alt-folk/alt-country stuff. wilco can get a bit weird though...

the problem is most of hte people i get music recommendations from are the kids at the college (i work at PC) and they ALL listen to emo/pop-punk and i hate that stuff. i'd rather poke both my eyes out than hear another pop-punk band or some emo band that thinks they're all hip and indie and anti-corporate, yet signed with sony/bmg.

Back to parking-

The places I've been looking at so far have been charging $200-250 a month per car.

Are you talking about downtown parking for work, or overnight parking where you live? I pay $20/mo for a space in a parking lot near my house. I know that's cheap, but I think $50-$75 is pretty common in most areas, although I bet it's probably more in residential areas near Brown/RISD.

Back to parking-

Are you talking about downtown parking for work, or overnight parking where you live? I pay $20/mo for a space in a parking lot near my house. I know that's cheap, but I think $50-$75 is pretty common in most areas, although I bet it's probably more in residential areas near Brown/RISD.

Peerless is $250 so I imagine he was looking at Westminster lofts which I assume are all about the same. The big garage behind the Biltmore is $200 per month.

I don't know if any of the surface lots offer monthly rates.

Back to parking-

when i was looking for apartments (before i found my current one that includes off-street parking), most of the lots i saw advertised were $50-100 a month (although the $100 one only cost the people i would've been moving in with $50 each because their landlord knew someone... this was on the hill... go figure).

the only places i would think that would have such high parking rates is the garages downtown... and that doesn't even make all that much sense since i know most of the garages in philly only charge around $150/month. although they weren't right in the heart of center city (but still in center city).

Back to parking-

Yeah, I'm looking downtown. Basically, between husband and myself, we're going to be heading different directions and that was the most central / transit accessible area. I'm still looking for my job, which could be anywhere from the 128 corridor to Boston to Providence to southern Rhode Island. He's working in East Greenwich, so, that part's set.

We both really prefer living *in* the city, so Downcity is what the choice seems to be. I'm thinking for parking that maybe one of us will park there and the other will have a little hike to get the car.

Traz

haha... i am actually a big fan of music... i just haven't really heard much that i really like... i'm a big phish fan, but that doesn't mean i only do jambands, although they are a big part of my music collection, as is classic rock (although the classic rock is a lot of the folky/bluesy stuff like the band, the dead, the allmans, dylan, etc).

I actually don't like any of the bands/artists you just listed, funny that we both listen to MVY though. Guess that says something about the station.

For the love of maude, what pray tell is 'emo.'

A very off-topic question, are there any Sirius handheld units? I can't find any online at all. I need to get one, I don't know what I'll do without Howard every morning on my headphones at the gym...

There's a new one that is pretty awesome, but pricey ($300 bucks). I know what your saying, but then again, I haven't listened to Howard since he went off the air in PVD...beotchs...

I actually don't like any of the bands/artists you just listed, funny that we both listen to MVY though. Guess that says something about the station.

the stuff they are selling emo nowadays isn't really the original stuff. Original it was "Emotional Hardcore" and is an off-shoot of punk. The early bands of emo are guys like Minor Threat, Husker Du, and Fugazi.

If one were to do a family tree of punk, hardcore itself would be an offshoot. Bands like Black Flag are hardcore punk bands. emo was an offshoot of hardcore that basically reflected more emotional introspective lyrics, clean living (emo bands as a rule do not promote drug use), and political discontent.

The original conception of emo basically died in the late 90's as the major labels bought in and made the genre mainstream, and also dumbed it down. Examples of emo bands on the current market are Dashboard Confessional, Brand New, the Used, AFI, and My Chemical Romance.

Edited by brick

the stuff they are selling emo nowadays isn't really the original stuff. Original it was "Emotional Hardcore" and is an off-shoot of punk. The early bands of emo are guys like Minor Threat, Husker Du, and Fugazi.

If one were to do a family tree of punk, hardcore itself would be an offshoot. Bands like Black Flag are hardcore punk bands. emo was an offshoot of hardcore that basically reflected more emotional introspective lyrics, clean living (emo bands as a rule do not promote drug use), and political discontent.

The original conception of emo basically died in the late 90's as the major labels bought in and made the genre mainstream, and also dumbed it down. Examples of emo bands on the current market are Dashboard Confessional, Brand New, the Used, AFI, and My Chemical Romance.

i've been under the impression that emo started in the 90's with weezer's pinkerton album, often hailed as the first emo band before emo was a genre. the others you mentioned are just hardcore/punk. i don't think emo was meant to reflect political discontent (after all, didn't punk do that from the get-go with the clash and sex pistols?). either way... whatever is called emo now (and pop-punk at that) is awful in my opinion... mainly the stuff called emo now is just simple chords with crappy vocals whining about their girlfriend dumping them... it's what avril lavigne would like to be if she wasn't straight up pop. :D

for some great definitions of emo (and some great laughs because it's mostly true), see urban dictionary's definition.

There's a new one that is pretty awesome, but pricey ($300 bucks). I know what your saying, but then again, I haven't listened to Howard since he went off the air in PVD...beotchs...

He was still on this summer on either 100.3 or 103.5 or something, I think it was a Boston station but we could get it in Providence.

I'm thinkin 300 bucks might be worth it, satellite radio is pretty good.

i've been under the impression that emo started in the 90's with weezer's pinkerton album, often hailed as the first emo band before emo was a genre. the others you mentioned are just hardcore/punk. i don't think emo was meant to reflect political discontent (after all, didn't punk do that from the get-go with the clash and sex pistols?). either way... whatever is called emo now (and pop-punk at that) is awful in my opinion... mainly the stuff called emo now is just simple chords with crappy vocals whining about their girlfriend dumping them... it's what avril lavigne would like to be if she wasn't straight up pop. :D

for some great definitions of emo (and some great laughs because it's mostly true), see urban dictionary's definition.

You can check wiki's emo entry which reflects what most people I talk to think of as emotional hardcore. The scene and term really started in DC in the early 80's.

A quick google search validates this. One of my really good friends in college was heavily into Minor Threat. He is the one who I first ever heard use the term, and this was in 1990, long before Pinkerton.

Pinkerton itself would not have been consider "emo" ex ante. When people look back, it was one of the first really popular albums that had a sound similar the indie emo that was spawned in the early 90's. So in a sense you are right, since the "emo" nowadays has nothing to do with the hardcore scene of DC. It's mainly watered down Pinkerton. However, I'm pretty confident on the term's origin, as you might be able to tell. :shades:

You can check wiki's emo entry which reflects what most people I talk to think of as emotional hardcore. The scene and term really started in DC in the early 80's.

A quick google search validates this. One of my really good friends in college was heavily into Minor Threat. He is the one who I first ever heard use the term, and this was in 1990, long before Pinkerton.

Pinkerton itself would not have been consider "emo" ex ante. When people look back, it was one of the first really popular albums that had a sound similar the indie emo that was spawned in the early 90's. So in a sense you are right, since the "emo" nowadays has nothing to do with the hardcore scene of DC. It's mainly watered down Pinkerton. However, I'm pretty confident on the term's origin, as you might be able to tell. :shades:

Definitely precedes Weezer, and I don't even know if they would qualify as "emo."

Promise Ring, or Texas is the Reason is what I remember from that era as being the big emo bands. I agree with the recent stuff...Dashboard Confessional? schlock.

When I was reading this I thought please no, not an "emo" debate, and then it started (sort of). At least no one chimed in and said it communicated to their tortured soul. If they really had one they wouldn’t be listening to anything currently branded “emo”. I'll make it simple, don't fall for the marketing. Move on please, nothing to see here.

URI's station (90.3 FM) should come in quite well in almost all of Providence. They are college radio but they are a fairly stable bunch of folks who take the station fairly seriously. The station uses a block programming format.

If you like folk/traditional music (6-9pm) the folk DJs are mostly community volunteers who have been doing this for years and are totally wired into their respective scenes.

1-3pm and after 9pm the "rock" happens. The rock DJs are all students and their taste varies considerably. I don't get to listen to the 1-3pm slot much since I am at work but some of the stuff is great although it trends to the commercial. I really like the 9:00m and later shows. By the time the kids make it to the 9:00PM slot the clueless are gone (they are filtered through the AM station and the graveyard shifts). Most of them know WAY too much about music to be passing all of their classes.

The mornings start with jazz, and then classical. Quality varies but some of the shows are very good.

That brings us to the Hip-Hop. 3-6pm, simply the best on the dial. Take that 106.3

The weekends are also good but not in block format so harder to summarize. The kid’s music show is good fun, the Reggae Showcase is legendary, and the music on Sat night is always interesting.

This station goes through phases but at times they are a MAJOR player in breaking new bands. Most people don't realize they are not just some crappy little college radio station, they have some serious industry credibility.

Here is a link to the programming page.

http://www.wriu.org/programming.html

Edited by markOne

I'm still looking for my job, which could be anywhere from the 128 corridor to Boston to Providence to southern Rhode Island.

You aren't a computer programmer are you?

Re Parking:

When I looked at the Peerless I was quoted $250 under the building, $200 one block away (Parkade behind the Biltmore), and $140 2 blocks away.

The emo genre is generally considered to have begun with the first Rites of Spring release, which came out in 1985. That being said, its a pretty rediculous concept for a genre, since there are so many bands that could be classified as emo and sound nothing like each other. I would tend to call Rites of Spring, Dag Nasty, Merel, Iconoclast, Ashes, Dashboard Confessional, and the Get Up Kids all "emo" yet they sound nothing at all alike. What they are currently pushing as emo on MTV and in mainstream media has one common defining element - it's all dreadful.