Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl:

Yes, where the hell is the close box on this thing?!!

it's grey so it blends in with the rest of the text, but it's near the top (the ad actually includes a lot of transparent space over the text behind it). it's really annoying, those javascript "hover-over" ads within pages are the worst and most intrusive. i prefer not to support any companies who use those... unfortunately, i like my cable tv... :angry:

:rofl:

Yes, where the hell is the close box on this thing?!!

The location seems to change from time to time. Today, in was in the lower right of the add, and it is greyed, so it often blends right into the background...

As if the commerical with that cartoon character where he drives up to his suburban McMansion in his slammed Hummer, gunning his engine, saying, "You can't be a player in a minivan, Charlie..." wasn't offensive enough...

- Garris

Adblock for firefox. I haven't seen this ad or many others for some time.

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/morei...ication=firefox

Installed! :thumbsup:

As if the commerical with that cartoon character where he drives up to his suburban McMansion in his slammed Hummer, gunning his engine, saying, "You can't be a player in a minivan, Charlie..." wasn't offensive enough...

The entire campaign just blows. Why oh why do cable companies have the worst advertising ever?

And why am I served ads for Cox when I'm watching Cox Basic Cable, I have it, I'm watching it, stop telling me to buy it! And when I'm using Cox internet. Online at least, the technology should be smart enough to read my IP and serve me a different ad.

Edited by Cotuit

You aren't a computer programmer are you?

Re Parking:

When I looked at the Peerless I was quoted $250 under the building, $200 one block away (Parkade behind the Biltmore), and $140 2 blocks away.

Sorry for the long delay.... things have been busy.

Yes, I am a programmer. A relatively senior one with an MBA. It makes finding a job difficult because of the specifics of what I'm looking for. I figure if I don't find something I like in time, I'll do freelance while I keep looking.

We were quoted 250 under the building, and everything nearby was 200+. The ones that were under $200 didn't have 24 hour access. And, unfortunately for the pocketbook, we are likely to need the car at "non-business" hours: in particular for ski / weekend trips. Not all the time, but, often enough to make it something that's on the must-have list.

Traz

Sorry for the long delay.... things have been busy.

Yes, I am a programmer. A relatively senior one with an MBA. It makes finding a job difficult because of the specifics of what I'm looking for. I figure if I don't find something I like in time, I'll do freelance while I keep looking.

We were quoted 250 under the building, and everything nearby was 200+. The ones that were under $200 didn't have 24 hour access. And, unfortunately for the pocketbook, we are likely to need the car at "non-business" hours: in particular for ski / weekend trips. Not all the time, but, often enough to make it something that's on the must-have list.

Traz

i would never want to leave my car in a garage that i couldn't access it whenever i wanted. that's just dumb. put in a card access system for monthly customers to use. so i don't blame you for not wanting a garage that doens't have 24 hr access.

Hello, all,

Hubby and I currently live in Greenville, SC, and we really dislike it... have been considering a move up north for a while (hubby is a native Bostonian--but that will be far too expensive for us). I'm a "Navy brat," grew up mainly in Hawaii and California, but my mom is a southerner... long story short, that's how I ended up in Greenville. I look forward to learning more about Providence... from the small bit I've learned so far, sounds like Providence may be a good place for us. :-)

Drink the coffee milk, now say, "I love Rhode Island." :lol:

I wonder what their on down the cape? Cranberry juice!? Bad cod!? What strange people! I'm talking about the people who've been down there for years, not the transplants. The ones who are miserable towards strangers and visitors. Like the small town folk in ME & VT. Must be a New England thing. :huh:

I wonder what their on down the cape? Cranberry juice!? Bad cod!? What strange people! I'm talking about the people who've been down there for years, not the transplants. The ones who are miserable towards strangers and visitors. Like the small town folk in ME & VT. Must be a New England thing. :huh:

Do you have a problem?

Hello, all,

Hubby and I currently live in Greenville, SC, and we really dislike it... have been considering a move up north for a while (hubby is a native Bostonian--but that will be far too expensive for us). I'm a "Navy brat," grew up mainly in Hawaii and California, but my mom is a southerner... long story short, that's how I ended up in Greenville. I look forward to learning more about Providence... from the small bit I've learned so far, sounds like Providence may be a good place for us. :-)

Welcome! ANy questions about greater PVD, just ask!

Hello, all,

Welcome to the board and please ignore the cattiness that is sometimes displayed on this(like any other) board. Can you give us some ideas what you are looking for, what in our discussions attracts you? This area is quite nice and I think many of use would be glad to help your research. (edited to correct word usage)

now for some unrelated business...

What are you talking about?!? Cotuit's statement was funny.

I personally take offense to your statement. I am a small town Vermonter. Don't even try to spin what you said, it is simply offensive. Happy holidays to you too.

Edited by markOne

As many of you may have heard, Microsoft has admitted this week that their Internet Explorer contains security breaches which are subject to invasion by spyware. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look for patches to correct this next week. Personally, I've switched to Firefox and noticed the difference right away. Also, I noticed that we have many faithful Apple/Mac users here, who are very loyal, and I was wondering why? Is there much difference between the two systems?

As many of you may have heard, Microsoft has admitted this week that their Internet Explorer contains security breaches which are subject to invasion by spyware. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look for patches to correct this next week. Personally, I've switched to Firefox and noticed the difference right away. Also, I noticed that we have many faithful Apple/Mac users here, who are very loyal, and I was wondering why? Is there much difference between the two systems?

Yes. There is much difference. Mac OS X is built on a UNIX foundation which makes it inherently more stable and also offers the hardcore geek a familiar terminal environment for getting down to business. They built it from the ground up, as opposed to windows which needs to be backwards compatible with countless legacy applications.

If you're referring to the recent WMF exploit, MS has released the patch early. You can download it here. I'd stress that anyone running Windows download the patch ASAP, either through that link or WindowsUpdate.

Edited by JJK5

I'd stress that anyone running Windows download the patch ASAP, either through that link or WindowsUpdate.

Thanks for the link. I could see an improvement immediately. It boggles my mind to learn that there are computer geeks out there who's sole purpose is to expose and exploit Microsoft's software. I guess it's considered an honor in the computer underworld. Then there are the sleeze balls and scum bags who seek to get control of your computer in order to gain identity information and personal files.

If you're referring to the recent WMF exploit, MS has released the patch early. You can download it here. I'd stress that anyone running Windows download the patch ASAP, either through that link or WindowsUpdate.

If you are on a Windows machine you MUST patch this. Using Firefox (which I love) will NOT protect you. The hole can be exploited when ever a WMF (a type of image) is viewed, regardless of what tool you use to view that image.

Thanks for the link. I could see an improvement immediately. It boggles my mind to learn that there are computer geeks out there who's sole purpose is to expose and exploit Microsoft's software. I guess it's considered an honor in the computer underworld. Then there are the sleaze balls and scum bags who seek to get control of your computer in order to gain identity information and personal files.

Many of the folks in the underground who are exposing security flaws are not the ones you have to worry about. It is the affore mentioned sleaze balls who are the real concern. Spyware, ID theft, and spam (yes spam is involved here also), are all HUGE businesses. There are companies employing many people working very hard to find these exploits and use them to their fiscal advantage.

Older article discussing only one of many ways your computer can be used once someone has access: http://www.betanews.com/article/Researcher..._PCs/1111097862

Re your "Are Macs really that different from PCs?" question. There are many HEATED discussions on this topic. It is safe to say that the systems are different and they each have strengths and weaknesses. If you are curious about macs I suggest getting a live demo from someone who uses both. Ideally this will be from a friend/associate and not from someone at CompUSA since their service is sketchy at best (but they are ok in a pinch). Be aware that many people feel very strongly that one platform is better than the other so take all reviews with a grain of salt, especially on the web. I work on PCs but own macs, they both have their place.

Thanks for the link. I could see an improvement immediately. It boggles my mind to learn that there are computer geeks out there who's sole purpose is to expose and exploit Microsoft's software. I guess it's considered an honor in the computer underworld. Then there are the sleeze balls and scum bags who seek to get control of your computer in order to gain identity information and personal files.

I found that Lavasoft works well to clean out spyware. Free download.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Yes, I already have it. But I also have Spybot and it's interesting to see that when I scan my computer with one or the other, one usually finds infections that the other one dosen't find.

i do this for a living (PC helpdesk). use adaware, spybot, and microsoft's antispyware beta. they all find stuff that the others miss. it's almost impossible to completely be sure you're computer is truly clean of spyware unless you format. spyware sucks.

re: apple vs ms... it's really gotten down to personal preference. there's almost nothing one can do that the other can't. in fact, there's a lot of good products for windows that don't exist for the mac. the hardware doesn't last any longer on a mac than it does on a PC. so there's no difference in lifetime. for those of you who want to say there is, i recently gave away an old compaq NT workstation... pentium 100.

if you are planning on buying a new computer, don't do it unless absolutely necessary. apple is switching to intel within the next year or 2 and microsoft is releasing vista, which has it's own major changes and major system requirements. it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.