Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

Antiwindmill NIMBYism spreads from Martha's Vinyard to Upstate NY. :(

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,699...tw=wn_tophead_1

this actually happened in vermont as well. the drummer from phish, jon fishman, wanted to put one up on his property that overlooks lake champlain to help power his home. people that lived near him were up in arms because they didn't want it to ruin their view of the lake.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer. I heard a while ago that the anti-wind forces in MV were running into trouble because it turns out that a lot of people (myself included) actually think the turbines look cool. Then they shifted to the pseudo-environmental nonsense (such as the windmills will slice birds to pieces). Interestingly, Greenpeace has come out in favor of the Cape Wind project.

this actually happened in vermont as well. the drummer from phish, jon fishman, wanted to put one up on his property that overlooks lake champlain to help power his home. people that lived near him were up in arms because they didn't want it to ruin their view of the lake.

Bummer. I heard a while ago that the anti-wind forces in MV were running into trouble because it turns out that a lot of people (myself included) actually think the turbines look cool. Then they shifted to the pseudo-environmental nonsense (such as the windmills will slice birds to pieces). Interestingly, Greenpeace has come out in favor of the Cape Wind project.

It's the rich wash-ashores with McMansions sprawling all over the coast of the Cape that are against the Windfarm. The working class who actually have to take things like energy bills into consideration when planning their lives are for it by and large.

Antiwindmill NIMBYism spreads from Martha's Vinyard to Upstate NY. :(

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,699...tw=wn_tophead_1

I grew up in a town not more than 20 miles from where this windfarm is proposed - I think it's a fantastic idea. There are some incredibly intelligent, progressive, creative people in that region, but there are also some real crazies - guess which ones get all the press!

Anyway, hello all, I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to Providence, in that I didn't grow up here (we've been here about 3 years).

I live in an archetypal Victorian in the Armory and work in Olneyville, so either envy me for living the Urban Dream or take pity on me because I don't get out of the neighborhood much :-)

The number of PVD topics is a bit daunting - anyone know of a thread where people can share sources for sash cord, discuss whether squirrels eating lead flashing is a serious environmental hazard, and other unique concerns of the historic homeowner?

I'm also obsessed with development news and will be happy to share scuttlebutt as appropriate...

Welcome xine.

The number of PVD topics is a bit daunting - anyone know of a thread where people can share sources for sash cord, discuss whether squirrels eating lead flashing is a serious environmental hazard, and other unique concerns of the historic homeowner?

You can discuss that stuff right here, or start a new thread.

Welcome. I don't know about the squirrels but you can get sash cord pretty easily at most hardware stores even, I hate to say it, Home Depot. An excellent place to get info on historian house stuff is the Revolving Fund of the Prov Preservation Society. THey even sell salvaged details at very low cost.

I grew up in a town not more than 20 miles from where this windfarm is proposed - I think it's a fantastic idea. There are some incredibly intelligent, progressive, creative people in that region, but there are also some real crazies - guess which ones get all the press!

Anyway, hello all, I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to Providence, in that I didn't grow up here (we've been here about 3 years).

I live in an archetypal Victorian in the Armory and work in Olneyville, so either envy me for living the Urban Dream or take pity on me because I don't get out of the neighborhood much :-)

I'm also obsessed with development news and will be happy to share scuttlebutt as appropriate...

Regarding the squirrels, I don't think it really creates a bigger problem than you would already have with lead flashing - that is that the water run-off from the house could have lead tainting. I suppose squirrel's gnawing the flashing might make it more likely that the water gets contaminated, depnding on how they expose the flashing.

You do want to be careful that they don't go on to gnaw through the trim and sheathing, of course.

One thing I have heard is that squirrels won't chew through aluminum flashing, so you might want to consider replacing if you have a squirrel problem.

Welcome. I don't know about the squirrels but you can get sash cord pretty easily at most hardware stores even, I hate to say it, Home Depot. An excellent place to get info on historian house stuff is the Revolving Fund of the Prov Preservation Society. THey even sell salvaged details at very low cost.

Try Sweets Lumber, on Harris Ave. Ask for Kenny. He is a genius of all things window, esp. historical.

Forget the squirrels, I think all the lead in this town makes the rats BIGGER...

Hi All,

I've gotten the impression from a number of posts that there are more than a few software professionals on these boards.

I'm new to Providence, and am looking to network with with some local Internet software engineering gurus. I have quite a bit of experience on the business and product design sides of hi-tech start-ups, and am looking to collaborate on the development of one or more "web applications." Most of my networking is currently focused on Boston/Cambridge (makes sense since it's one of the world's software capitals), but my preference would definitely be to find people in Providence.

If anyone has any advice on where to find the best local talent, I'd really appreciate it, e.g. local user groups, the best CS programs, events, etc. And if anyone wants to contact me directly, please send a PM.

Thanks!

PVDJack

Hi All,

I've gotten the impression from a number of posts that there are more than a few software professionals on these boards.

I'm new to Providence, and am looking to network with with some local Internet software engineering gurus. I have quite a bit of experience on the business and product design sides of hi-tech start-ups, and am looking to collaborate on the development of one or more "web applications." Most of my networking is currently focused on Boston/Cambridge (makes sense since it's one of the world's software capitals), but my preference would definitely be to find people in Providence.

If anyone has any advice on where to find the best local talent, I'd really appreciate it, e.g. local user groups, the best CS programs, events, etc. And if anyone wants to contact me directly, please send a PM.

Thanks!

PVDJack

this is posted to the board because it'll clear things up for some people. i work in IT... are you looking to recruit? if so, can you give a bit more info?

Hi Everyone,

I just signed up yesterday and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Kurt Bagley and I work as the Program Associate for Preserve Rhode Island, located on North Main Street.

I have a degree in Historic Preservation from Roger Williams and am originally from Western Maine. I came to RI for College and never went back home. Once I graduated RWU in 2003 I moved to Providence and after a stint living in South Providence, I now live on Rochambeau Avenue.

I've been very interested in Providence's construction and developement boom and its one of my favorite topics, so I was very happy to find this forum and wish I had known about it earlier.

Looking forward to learning more from all of you and I hope I will be able to contribute in some way.

-Kurt

Welcome Kurt. Do you think it might be *the* definition of Irony that Preserve Rhode Island should be located on North Main Street? :lol:

Its certainly ironic, although without PRI (formerly the Heritage Trust) the c.1754 Dexter House that we inhabit at 957 North Main would be long gone by now. At least there is one spot on North Main that is "original".

And if anybody wonders why the front of the house is such a disaster, we've got a DOT mitigation project working on reconstructing our stone walls and replacing all of the wooden fencing, after several car accidents decided to end up on our lawn. The fence posts at the corner, by the intersection, are now steel set in concrete.. pity the car that decides to crash into us again...

Its certainly ironic, although without PRI (formerly the Heritage Trust) the c.1754 Dexter House that we inhabit at 957 North Main would be long gone by now. At least there is one spot on North Main that is "original".

And if anybody wonders why the front of the house is such a disaster, we've got a DOT mitigation project working on reconstructing our stone walls and replacing all of the wooden fencing, after several car accidents decided to end up on our lawn. The fence posts at the corner, by the intersection, are now steel set in concrete.. pity the car that decides to crash into us again...

Is that the property at the intersection of N. Main & Rochambeau?

Could someone explain the dangers of installing Active X to your computer. I was just trying to view the web cam at the temple project when I got a warning message.

active x is already on your computer, it's a component of internet explorer to run certain programs, for instance windows update uses it. microsoft put in the warning system because a lot of spyware uses active x. so if you know where it's coming from, install it, otherwise, it's probably not legit. i'd say the webcam one is legit (it's an active x control that allows you to view the images through the browser).

Wayland Square Neighborhood Association Monthly Meeting

Tuesday January 17, 2006

7:00 pm - 8:15 pm

Event Location: School One, Slater & University, Prov.

Street: 220 University Avenue (Slater Ave. entrance)

Usually held in the library on the bottom floor (basement). One block from Lloyd Ave. & Blackstone Blvd. Open to everyone (except for a very few confidential decisions).