Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

I just realized that UP has a calendar that shows events and meetings, etc. There's one for Providence that lists City meetings, etc. Cool idea.

You just realized it because it just went live (I didn't even know it was live yet). I'll post a thread about it later, members are allowed to post to it.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayland Square Neighborhood Association Meeting

TONIGHT, Tuesday February 21, 2006

7:00 pm - 8:15 pm

Event Location: School One, Slater & University, Prov.

Street: 220 University Avenue (Slater Ave. entrance)

Held in the library on the bottom floor (basement). One block from Lloyd Ave. & Blackstone Blvd. Open to all. Tell this group of any agenda items you'd like to discuss.

I've been doing a good bit of travelling around the region the last couple of weekends (Philly, Boston, NY) and had some random observations coming back home each time:

- Our graffiti problem is bad... It's very noticable every time I return. None of the major cities above are as "tagged" everywhere as Providence...

- Society Hill in downtown Philly may be one of the coolest urban villages in the US...

- Providence's architectural beauty is really impressive...

- We have it really, really good as far a quality of life... You can (by car) get almost anything you want or anywhere you want in Providence in 15 minutes or less... It can take you 15 minutes to get around the block in Philly traffic wise...

- We lack for little food-wise... Granted, the breath and depth of our dining isn't that of a larger city, but I haven't gone anywhere to eat in Boston in the last several months that I would want to make a dedicated trip for considering our local options... Pretty impressive...

- While TF Green is a great resource to have here, I must say that Logan after the Dig was very, very easy to navigate and fly out of... I flew through the process there. Formitable competition for Green.

- Driving on the highway, I'm still shocked the the VMA doesn't use the enormous, unadorned side of its building for announcing upcoming concerts and events.

That's it for random thoughts!

- Garris

Edited by Garris

I've been doing a good bit of travelling around the region the last couple of weekends (Philly, Boston, NY) and had some random observations coming back home each time:

- Our graffiti problem is bad... It's very noticable every time I return. None of the major cities above are as "tagged" everywhere as Providence...

- Society Hill in downtown Philly may be one of the coolest urban villages in the US...

- Providence's architectural beauty is really impressive...

- We have it really, really good as far a quality of life... You can (by car) get almost anything you want or anywhere you want in Providence in 15 minutes or less... It can take you 15 minutes to get around the block in Philly traffic wise...

- We lack for little food-wise... Granted, the breath and depth of our dining isn't that of a larger city, but I haven't gone anywhere to eat in Boston in the last several months that I would want to make a dedicated trip for considering our local options... Pretty impressive...

- While TF Green is a great resource to have here, I must say that Logan after the Dig was very, very easy to navigate and fly out of... I flew through the process there. Formitable competition for Green.

- Driving on the highway, I'm still shocked the the VMA doesn't use the enormous, unadorned side of its building for announcing upcoming concerts and events.

That's it for random thoughts!

- Garris

the graffitti is awful, i agree.

i disagree somewhat about philly... i live near PC. if i want to get on 95 or 10 on dean st during rush hour, it can take me 20 min to drive it (it's about 1 mile from my house to the entrance ramp), most of it sitting on oakland ave (which turns into pleasant valley pkwy, which turns into dean st). philly is one major city that i've never had much of an issue driving around (of course i'm usually there on weekends, but i did spend a week there once in Nov and it wasn't much of a problem then either). and then there's driving around downtown late at night... or even sometimes during the day during the week.

the variety and quality of the restaurants here is amazing and does rival some larger cities.

try driving to logan during rush hour (or even just outside of rush hour). i, personally, HATE driving to and around boston. luckily, my girlfriend lived in arlington, so i avoided 93 and the mass pike completely to visit her. and logan has a bit more to offer than green to begin with... it's much much much larger! :) tf green is so much easier to get in and out of. i have family that live in hopkinton, ma. they fly out of green whenever possible because of that. same goes for my boss who lives just north of worcester.

UP is MUCH more speedy and reliable now that the new servers are up. Great job. :thumbsup:

After the servers were upgraded there were a few software bugs to shake out, but all seems to be as it should. Now that we've got the servers stabilized, we can focus on new features. :whistling:

When I try to use the RSS mode I get this message:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

And something that looks like this:

<rss version="2.0">

<channel>

<title>UP|Complete</title>

<description/>

<link>http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php</link>

<pubDate>Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:15:54 -0600</pubDate>

<ttl>15</ttl>

<item>

<title>Artist proposal for Plaza on Fayetteville Street</title>

<link>

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=350846

</link>

What am I doing wrong?

When I try to use the RSS mode I get this message:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

What am I doing wrong?

First, it looks like you are trying to get the 'complete' feed, which you probably don't want as it would be hundreds of posts from every forum and subforum everyday. You want the Rhode Island/Providence feed, which is:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?act=rssout&id=25

Then, you need to be viewing the feed in a feed reader. I personally use Bloglines. The reader takes the XML data and converts it into a readable format. Some browsers, such as Firefox have built in readers Live Bookmarks.

Here's Wikipedia's entry on RSS for more information. Here is a list of aggregators (feed readers) from Wikipedia.

By train, lol. At least during rush hour. Other than that, 95 to 93 to the Ted Williams.

agreed... although afternoon rush hour isn't that bad getting into the city (i've done several times under half an hour). but getting out will royally suck.

The train can take longer since i believe you have to go to south station and take the T to the airport and the reverse to go home.

boston is my least favorite area to drive around in... i get upset just thinking about it...

I'm giving Garris a homework assignment:

Get up to Prospect Park and photograph the cranes. Westin II, Waterplace, Masonic Temple... We need a nice pano. The Masonic crane may be coming down soon. I went by there today and it looks like the steel is pretty much topped off.

I'm giving Garris a homework assignment:

Get up to Prospect Park and photograph the cranes. Westin II, Waterplace, Masonic Temple... We need a nice pano. The Masonic crane may be coming down soon. I went by there today and it looks like the steel is pretty much topped off.

From Cotuit's mouth to G*d's ears... Coming home from work today... Not my best stuff (lighting wasn't great), and the pano didn't work well, but it makes the point. The first shot is not a pano, but a cropped wide angle of the cranes against the sunset, the second and third shots were just unique vantage points for fun (Roger in focus, the buildings in the background out of focus in the second shot). The fourth photo was just one I've had sitting around for a while of the lit top of the old Journal Building (someone was saying how pretty it was).

As always, I'm open to critque and suggestions!

- Garris

craneswide2wj.jpg

williamsclockcube0bd.jpg

Capitol Center, Providence!

capitolcenter2gu.jpg

Journal Building at night...

journalbldgsmall1kk.jpg

By the way, I was just thinking about something. Can/could this forum ever evolve into a "live" discussion forum? In other words, could I, in the future, be able to talk live with another forum member (s)?

My feeble mind seems to think we had a chat feature at one point, but I may be being feeble and remembering wrong. People can leave their AIM, ICQ, or other addresses in thier profile if they choose.