Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

I recieved this via email, anyone interested in commenting reply to the email address below.

I'm looking to do a story on what the Rhode Island LGBT community thinks about Providence Mayor David Cicilline. He is one of the most high-profile gay politicians in the country.

I'd like to know how LGBT residents of Providence feel about Cicilline's leadership the last 3 years. Has the quality of life in the city improved? Do you feel safer? Are you satisfied with how he is running the city?

If interested, e-mail me at [email protected]. Leave a phone number where you can be reached.

This is for IN newsweekly.

Joe

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

My wife has recently taken a new job which will have her traveling domesticly quite a bit (really all over the country, no region necessarily more than any other). Of course, she'd like to use TF Green whenever possible, but realizes that she'll have to use Logan sometimes as well. That said, any suggestions for which airline to sign up with for her frequent flier program? Factors would include frequency and diversity of domestic flights, as well as any special amenities (I know that some airlines have special lounges for their frequent fliers -- does TF Green?)

Thanks for any advice--much appreciated!

PVDJack

Edited by PVDJack

Hi All,

My wife has recently taken a new job which will have her traveling domesticly quite a bit (really all over the country, no region necessarily more than any other). Of course, she'd like to use TF Green whenever possible, but realizes that she'll have to use Logan sometimes as well. That said, any suggestions for which airline to sign up with for her frequent flier program? Factors would include frequency and diversity of domestic flights, as well as any special amenities (I know that some airlines have special lounges for their frequent fliers -- does TF Green?)

PVDJack

it really depends on where she will be going the most for a frequent flier program. i've always enjoyed flying with southwest, but they don't go everywhere and may not be the best airline for the frequent business traveller. one thing she might want to do is talk to other people she works with and find out which airlines they recommend or what other people in her position have used. i've never noticed any special frequent flier lounges at PVD, and i've been down both wings (i assume they'd be in the terminal after you go through security, haven't really walked around any other parts of the airport except in the terminal).

i've never noticed any special frequent flier lounges at PVD, and i've been down both wings (i assume they'd be in the terminal after you go through security, haven't really walked around any other parts of the airport except in the terminal).

I was at Green for the first time a few weeks ago to meet someone flying in. I noticed that all the food concessions seem to be behind the security area (which you need a ticket to get through) so, me waiting for a flight that was late couldn't sit down anywhere and have a cup of coffee or anything. Not that it mattered, since it appeared that even the concessions behind the security barrier were closed for the night.

I was at Green for the first time a few weeks ago to meet someone flying in. I noticed that all the food concessions seem to be behind the security area (which you need a ticket to get through) so, me waiting for a flight that was late couldn't sit down anywhere and have a cup of coffee or anything. Not that it mattered, since it appeared that even the concessions behind the security barrier were closed for the night.

i haven't really wandered around much of the lower level (where the luggage returns are). i am surprised there's not even a dunking donuts down there. i am not surprised that the places upstairs close early (considering the last flights are usually by 10-ish i think).

one thing i think needs to be changed is where the security is. they should have 2 security areas going down each wing, depending on what gate you're going to. have that middle section open to anyone. it seems that unless you're checking luggage, talking to someone at the counter, or getting on a flight, there's really no point to being upstairs.

my other issue with the airport, while i'm on a role here, is the pathways from the garages... they all suck and there's no good signs leadig you out of the garage to the terminal. everytime i go, i forget that the elevator at the terminal side of garage A is not to get to the terminal, that i have to walk all the way around to the exit where people are leaving from.

I noticed that all the food concessions seem to be behind the security area (which you need a ticket to get through) so, me waiting for a flight that was late couldn't sit down anywhere and have a cup of coffee or anything.

This isn't unusual for airports designed in the pre-911 age, when you didn't need a boarding pass to get by security, or they've needed to redesign the area of the security so it's in front of concessions...

- Garris

This isn't unusual for airports designed in the pre-911 age, when you didn't need a boarding pass to get by security, or they've needed to redesign the area of the security so it's in front of concessions...

- Garris

i remember being in bradley pre-9/11 (i really hate the whole pre/post 9/11 crap personally). i'm pretty sure there were concessions before security.

i also do disagree with the decision to prohibit those without boarding passes beyond security. it really cuts down on the younger children flying alone. they have to get through security alone, wait to board alone, and get off and outside the terminal after they land alone. i don't consider it any safer considering everyone would be subject to the same security measures and policies to get to the terminal. unless the only reason is to not have security filled with people who aren't flying... in which case i guess i sort of understand it.

that's my only beef... other than the cop who was a jerk to me outside the terminal about 2 weeks ago when we got all that snow... my girlfriend's flight had landed but i didn't know where she was (the plane had to wait on the runway for the plows to clear it) so i stopped for 2 min to find out and call her and he wouldn't let me call her and move on... not very safe if you ask me forcing me to drive and talk on the phone... i would've let him search my car if he wanted to. i can understand in normal situations, but that day was obviously a different situation than most...

Hi All,

PVDJack

I vote for United Mileage Plus. By far the best for going east/west, they've treated me well, and they are fantastic for international reward travel. Flew to Argentina first class last year!

Continental is alright, but only if you fly them enough to get in their elite program. Otherwise, its nearly impossible to use their miles.

there are actually two concessions flanking secuity that you can enter; the food court to the right and the tavern on the left. it only looks like you need to go through screening. i cant imagine the concessions operator would concede to restricted entrance. money is money.

Rhode Island shares a state water border with New York.

I used to tell all the Long Island kids at my school that RI borders Long Island, they used to get so angry, like their d!cks were gonna shrink since they're beloved "metropolis" bordered such a small, and to them, mediocre place.

I used to tell all the Long Island kids at my school that RI borders Long Island, they used to get so angry, like their d!cks were gonna shrink since they're beloved "metropolis" bordered such a small, and to them, mediocre place.

how is RI mediocre compared to LI?

At the Point Judith corrosion test site material samples sit exposed for years and are analyzed to determine the toll taken by ocean air and the sun.
Dear god what a hideous job. :shok:

Cumberlandite is the official state rock. It is dark brown or black with white markings and found on both sides of Narragansett Bay but not north of Cumberland.

Well it just goes to show. As they say, you can learn something new every day. Still, I imagine I could have lived a happy life without knowing that little factoid. :blink:

New England's oldest Masonic Temple in Warren was built in the 18th century with timbers from British frigates sunk in Newport Harbor during the Revolutionary War.

See, now that's the stuff I like to know. This is exactly the sort of thing that makes me love Rhode Islanders for the crazy birds they are. Nowhere else in the world ...

Everyone - I was channel surfing on Sat. night and caught this show. They were highlighting Providence. A bit light on some details, but a fine show nonetheless. They talked about Trinity Rep, Waterfire, East Side homes, and a restaurant I never went to before - 10 Steak and Sushi if I remember the name right. They highlight spots throughout New England, so I bookmarked their schedule and will watch this show regularly. Check it out!

http://www.newenglandlivingtv.com/showguid...asp#RhodeIsland

I'll have to go to that restaurant. After watching the show and the head chef show off his 40-oz steak, well, that's just something I gotta try! :thumbsup:

http://www.newenglandlivingtv.com/showguid...asp#RhodeIsland

I'll have to go to that restaurant. After watching the show and the head chef show off his 40-oz steak, well, that's just something I gotta try! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check out the show...

Regarding "Ten" as it's often known, I really like it a lot. It has the look and feel of a slick "style over substance" place, but that happily isn't the case. Their steaks are actually very, very good and the sushi is extremely original, tasty, and visually impressive (as their "Pizza Maki Rolls" attest, it's not the place to go for Japanese authenticity... Tokyo on Wickenden is the place for that).

- Garris