Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, paying parking tickets in Providence by mail is a bad idea. I sent one in over a month ago, and had yet to see it taken out of my checking account, so I called the court and they have no record of me paying the ticket (which is now well over $100). The lady said they've been having a big problem with receiving tickets by mail in the stupid yellow ticket envelope thing they have. If I have to go to court to fight this I'm gonna be real pissed. And of course, the ticket was for none other than overnight on-street parking...

Hi All,

My wife has recently taken a new job which will have her traveling domesticly quite a bit (really all over the country, no region necessarily more than any other). Of course, she'd like to use TF Green whenever possible, but realizes that she'll have to use Logan sometimes as well. That said, any suggestions for which airline to sign up with for her frequent flier program? Factors would include frequency and diversity of domestic flights, as well as any special amenities (I know that some airlines have special lounges for their frequent fliers -- does TF Green?)

Thanks for any advice--much appreciated!

PVDJack

Jack - United and Delta may offer the best bets. Both have decent schedules out of Green, so your wife should be able to rack up the miles better and offer her a more flexable schedule.

FYI, paying parking tickets in Providence by mail is a bad idea. I sent one in over a month ago, and had yet to see it taken out of my checking account, so I called the court and they have no record of me paying the ticket

I'm glad you posted this. I have a ticket sitting on my desk waiting to be mailed. You can go to the station and pay it at the window. The parking garage is free. Yeah, I know, who has time. The last ticket that I mailed in took three weeks to clear my account. Wait, can't this be paid over the inetrnet? Or am I thinking of property taxes.

I'm glad you posted this. I have a ticket sitting on my desk waiting to be mailed. You can go to the station and pay it at the window. The parking garage is free. Yeah, I know, who has time. The last ticket that I mailed in took three weeks to clear my account. Wait, can't this be paid over the inetrnet? Or am I thinking of property taxes.

yes, it can be paid online for a $3.00 fee (screw you Municipal Court, I'm not fallin for that sham...).

I almost wrote my check out for $14.61 just to spite the city and recoup my loss for the stamp I wasted on mailing the first ticket....

I'm pretty sure it's a rule that any news site must have 3-4 skinny vertial columns with no real continuity in desing, coupled with as many blinking adds as possible and a giant peacock offering refinanced mortgages.

That's why I get my news from Newsvine now. Although that's pretty crappy for local news.

Edited by JJK5

I'm pretty sure it's a rule that any news site must have 3-4 skinny vertial columns with no real continuity in desing, coupled with as many blinking adds as possible and a giant peacock offering refinanced mortgages.

That's why I get my news from Newsvine now. Although that's pretty crappy for local news.

i actually like CNN's layout. the TV station websites seem to be better than the newspaper ones. even the ny times site can be a bit much...

too much text on a website that should really just be full of links makes for a horrible site.

Please, I need a quick answer to a question. How long should one wait before applying the second coat of paint afeter doing the 1st?

Until the first coat is no longer tacky. If you touch it and it's sticky, wait. On a dry day like today, a half hour should be about right.

have we had a camera discussion before? I'm looking to buy a regular digi camera under $500

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1127211013387

I found this Fuji and I think I like it. But I dont know if it exceeds what I need to use my camera for.

All I want is to:

1. Take regular pictures.. like personal or group pictures 10 feet in front of me, inside or out, day or night.

2. Take longer range pictures... like if I'm walking to a club (if they dont close down;) ) around 11 p.m., and I feel like taking a picture of the top of the Westin while I'm at street level and come out with good results.

3. If you remember the picture Garris took maybe a year ago. He was near the state house and took a pic of the mall facade and the westin. It was a great picture.

4. Lets say i'm in a club at the DJ's booth and want a crowd picture as well.

so a camera that can do all of those things. <500 would be great but it doesnt matter

yes, it can be paid online for a $3.00 fee (screw you Municipal Court, I'm not fallin for that sham...).

I almost wrote my check out for $14.61 just to spite the city and recoup my loss for the stamp I wasted on mailing the first ticket....

Heh... calls to mind the time I paid a Boston parking ticket with ten separate checks, in varying amounts including one for $0.00.

The city sent them back, saying, "We only accept checks in even dollar amounts (no cents)."

So I wrote ten more checks, for varying amounts (including one for $0.00), but using even-dollar amounts this time. They accepted the payment. (I think the ticket was for $20.00 or so -- this was about 20 years ago.)

I figured, at least I got back at the man by increasing his processing costs a little....

Urb

have we had a camera discussion before? I'm looking to buy a regular digi camera under $500

I found this Fuji and I think I like it. But I dont know if it exceeds what I need to use my camera for.

All I want is to:

1. Take regular pictures.. like personal or group pictures 10 feet in front of me, inside or out, day or night.

2. Take longer range pictures... like if I'm walking to a club (if they dont close down;) ) around 11 p.m., and I feel like taking a picture of the top of the Westin while I'm at street level and come out with good results.

3. If you remember the picture Garris took maybe a year ago. He was near the state house and took a pic of the mall facade and the westin. It was a great picture.

4. Lets say i'm in a club at the DJ's booth and want a crowd picture as well.

so a camera that can do all of those things. <500 would be great but it doesnt matter

i've always liked the canon digital cameras... i have an olympus (it was free) 4MP. model is camedia D-580 zoom. it actually takes really crisp pictures and the same pic taken with mine and my fiancee's kodak 5MP (not sure on her model), hers came washed out and mine looking great.

Heh... calls to mind the time I paid a Boston parking ticket with ten separate checks, in varying amounts including one for $0.00.

The city sent them back, saying, "We only accept checks in even dollar amounts (no cents)."

So I wrote ten more checks, for varying amounts (including one for $0.00), but using even-dollar amounts this time. They accepted the payment. (I think the ticket was for $20.00 or so -- this was about 20 years ago.)

I figured, at least I got back at the man by increasing his processing costs a little....

Urb

Nothing, but nothing that I can remember locally beats a female prison guard, er, correctional officer (I think) who owed a court fine, or something like that, and showed up at the court house with a truck load full of pennies. For real. I have the article floating around here somewhere.

<500 would be great but it doesnt matter

I generally prefer Canons as well. Their consumer lenses are usually excellent and crisp. My previous camera was a 3 megapixel Canon A70 (about 210 dollars in 2003). About 25% of the shots on my website were with that camera. I challenge you to figure out which were from the A70 and which from my $900 Canon digital SLR...

Personally, if I had to recommend any camera line, it would be the Canon A-Powershot line. The exact one Cotuit uses, actually (or whatever the most updated one is, I think the A700). It's a great point-and-shoot, but is powerful enough to do everything you wanted and to grow with you as your skills and desires expand. You can also buy lens adaptors for it for additional zoom and additional wide angles. The downside is they tend to be a bit bulkier than most point-and-shoots.

Here's a website for the line: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controlle...fcategoryid=113

Also, check out www.dpreview.com for sickeningly detailed reviews of digital cameras.

Hope this helps!

- Garris

I generally prefer Canons as well. Their consumer lenses are usually excellent and crisp. My previous camera was a 3 megapixel Canon A70 (about 210 dollars in 2003). About 25% of the shots on my website were with that camera. I challenge you to figure out which were from the A70 and which from my $900 Canon digital SLR...

Personally, if I had to recommend any camera line, it would be the Canon A-Powershot line. The exact one Cotuit uses, actually (or whatever the most updated one is, I think the A700). It's a great point-and-shoot, but is powerful enough to do everything you wanted and to grow with you as your skills and desires expand. You can also buy lens adaptors for it for additional zoom and additional wide angles. The downside is they tend to be a bit bulkier than most point-and-shoots.

Here's a website for the line: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controlle...fcategoryid=113

Also, check out www.dpreview.com for sickeningly detailed reviews of digital cameras.

Hope this helps!

- Garris

that's the line i'd recommend. they're slightly bulkier than most others, but they've got more functionality in my opinion. a lot of people like the SD line (the digital elph line) because they're tiny, but that's just it... they're tiny. the A line is easier to hold and manage and it has more controls, meaning less digging through menus to get to the settings you want. that's actually the only complaint i have about my camera. it doesn't have all those controls without going through menus, but again, i got it for free, so i shouldn't be complaining, and it does take great pics.

i think consumer reports also ranks the canon A line the highest.

Just looking for a quick suggestion here.

Me and the lady are looking for something fun to do outside this afternoon. I haven't explored the eastern parts of Providence yet, specifically Benefit St, and the area around Brown. Any parks or good streets for a nice walk in the sun, and maybe stop in a cafe for lunch?

Me and the lady are looking for something fun to do outside this afternoon. I haven't explored the eastern parts of Providence yet, specifically Benefit St, and the area around Brown. Any parks or good streets for a nice walk in the sun, and maybe stop in a cafe for lunch?

Walk down Benefit, then head to the antique shops on Wickenden. Get a coffee at any of the cafes there, or grab a coffee to go and hang out along the water at Corliss Landing.

prospect hill park is always nice, great views of the city.

you can also walk around brown and the campus there. there's some quads and stuff that are nice... might be filled with students though...

Absolutely.

Park near the corner of Prospect St and Angel St. Walk North on Prospect to Jenkes St. Take a left onto Jenkes and your next left onto Congdon. Follow Congdon back South and check out the houses along and Prospect Park. Thats one of my favorite walks on a day like this. Even better when the trees/flowers start to bloom. Consider heading down the hill two blocks to Benefit St and check that out.

There is a sandwich shop on Benefit north of Angel - Geoff's I think it is? I've never been. Maybe Gourmet-Garris could comment?

You could also follow Benefit St South all the way to Fellinis Pizza.

Enjoy. I wish I could be outside today!