Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

heaven forbid we all get hobbies or social lives. :lol:

gotta do something to kill time at work... :thumbsup:

of course that doesn't explain why i'm doing it here... i guess because i'm not hungry... although another re-run of law and order is about to come on... i think it's my cue to go... and i might as well make dinner too.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but then someone told me he was unhappy with Sirius cause they were tryin to censor him too.

That was people lying. Beleive me, if Sirius were trying to censor him, they aren't doing a very good job at it. Sirius also recently added a Playboy station which is very explicit. And there are several other stations with explicit programming.

Now Sirius Canada has been an issue. Siruis Canada is technically a seperate company, and Canadian law apply to satellite. He wasn't carried in Canada at first, and then when they added him they only added one of his two stations. But Canadian law means he may be removed from Sirius Canada before long.

So uh...I feel pretty strongly that whoever did that "Projo - Double Vision" jingle needs to be drawn and quartered. Honestly.

Oh my god, I was thinking the same thing last night when I was watching tv. I must have seen three commercials for it (projo homes! projo jobs! projo cars!) in less than a half hour. I wanted to rip my ears off and gouge my eyes out.

I just came back from a whirlwind NY weekend (sorry, no photos!).

It started in the Albany area which, sorry Recchia, I just really don't like. I've been going to the Albany region for 27 years on and off, and I still don't like it. The city itself has gotten a little better since I was there last, but the surrounding metro is very spread out, feeling more Midwestern than Northeastern. Providence and it's surrounding areas feels a million times more dense. The skyline looks great at night, though, with Empire State Plaza and the Capitol all lit up at night.

I finished today in NYC, where I was there to visit friends and go to the auto show. There certainly has been a lot of construction in Manhattan in the last few years but interestingly (and disturbingly, in my opinion), the character of the city or skyline isn't really changed by much of it. Despite several large and high profile projects and dozens of smaller ones, few if any of them make much of an impression at all. What a waste of a building boom...

Just some random impressions.

- Garris

Oh, also, while I'm at it, I thought I'd post my impression of some of the newest car models at the New York Auto Show. Yup, I'm a committed urbanist who happens to be a car nut... I know, I know, it doesn't make much sense...

That said, here's my car show impressions as I posted them on another website:

HITS:

- Cadillac Escalade: I generally hate SUV's, but I'll go out on a limb and say this is the best executed US model in my lifetime. If there's a better recent example of a US maker knowing itself, its models, and its customers and fashioning an exemplary product to serve them, I don't know it (well, maybe the Mustang). For its customers, from top to bottom, it's nearly perfect.

- Audi TT: Still looks like a FWD car, but oh what a FWD car it is. This is one of the few cars at the show people just stopped and stared at, slack jawed...

- Saturn Outlook: A surprise hit. It looks to have all the makings of a success, from exterior design to interior execution. We couldn't sit in it, so the "feel" will make or break it.

- Lincoln MKS concept: Surprisingly bland in photos, it looks quite sharp in person. More than stylish enough to take on the TL and other competitors. Lincoln needs this NOW, not in '08.

- Infiniti G35: I have to take back my previously negative comment on this site earlier in the week. Looking earlier to me like a little changed, puffier version of its predecesor, this shines in person. Filled with interesting character lines, unexpected voluptuous buldges, and mature detailing (maybe a bit too much of all of the above) that are all near invisible in photos but stunning in person. If its an improved driver, it'll be interesting. The new Altima was a winner for much the same reason, but not quite as impressive.

- Saab Aero-X concept: Looked great in photos, unbelievable in real life. If Saab can get a fraction of the energy of this car in future models, it has a chance.

- Saturn Sky Red Line: All the usual Sky goodness, faster. Was swarmed at the show.

- The entire Mazda line: While I still think their exterior and interior designs are somehow just a bit "off" for me, they have an amazing lineup of sharp haulers now. The Mazda 3, 5 micro van, CX7, and new CX9. Hopefully the public notices...

- BMW M Coupe: An appearance like little else before it or, likely, after it...

NEUTRAL:

- Saturn Aura: I really, really wanted this one to impress me... Alas, it's average. Despite its Opel roots, it has a surprisingly PontiacG6-eque profile about it. The interior design and materials, while a revelation for GM, are average for the class. I thought the seats were terrible, with the usual GM teddy bear pelt cloth that screamed "rental car." At least one person who sat in the car complained of how far to the right the gas pedal was. In short, there's little to draw people away from already established competitors. Will end up going up against the Fusion, Sonata, Milan, Galant, Altima, etc for second pickings behind the Camry/Accord duopoly.

- Dodge Caliber: Decently priced and attractive. Despite decent quality plastics, the interior manages to feel sparce and hard due to its design more than its materials. The Caliber at the show suffered from being next to a PT Cruiser which, despite its older profile, trounces the Caliber in character and in interior packaging. The PT is still the choice in the Mini-hauler class in my opinion, being classy, swift, perfectly packaged, and well priced.

- Jaguar XK: Another one I really, really wanted to blow me away. Don't get me wrong, it's great looking, and in the metal it doesn't look at all like an Aston Martin like it does in photos. And the interior does look great. But inside and out it doesn't feel any more special than any of its outstanding competitors (SL, XLR, etc). Special is Jaguar's reason to exist, and if they can't do it, they're in trouble.

- Mitsubishi Outlander: Asks, more than answers, the question, "So, why does Mitsubishi need to exist?"

MISSES: (very few)

- Chrysler Aspen: A mistake for so many reasons...

- Jeep Compass: Given the nearby and much more compelling Jeep Patriot, I wonder why Jeep bothered with this at all?

- Toyota Camry: "What?!?" you're saying? Yup, it's a miss in my mind. Sure, it's built like a tank and will likely sell a zillion copies. But see, I remember the first few Camry generations that were nimble, smart, effcient and had fantastic packaging. I kept thinking of the word "losenge" when looking at the new one today. Slightly smaller than an Avalon and bristling with features its owners will never use, it looked huge and water retaining compared to the nearby Fusions and Accords, themselves no lightweights. If this is America's most popular car, have we really gotten this bloated and decadent?

- Garris

I finished today in NYC, where I was there to visit friends and go to the auto show. There certainly has been a lot of construction in Manhattan in the last few years but interestingly (and disturbingly, in my opinion), the character of the city or skyline isn't really changed by much of it. Despite several large and high profile projects and dozens of smaller ones, few if any of them make much of an impression at all. What a waste of a building boom...

i have a feeling it's hard to really change the character of the manhattan skyline without some seriously tall and interesting looking buildings (or at least intersting looking tops to the buildings).

- Audi TT: Still looks like a FWD car, but oh what a FWD car it is. This is one of the few cars at the show people just stopped and stared at, slack jawed...

FWD as in Front Wheel Drive or Four Wheel Drive? audis are actually AWD as in All Wheel Drive, there's a difference between that and FWD (front wheel drive) and 4WD (four wheel drive). is the new TT much different? i always thought it looked like a beetle squished down. and i personally really hate the looks of the new VW line. they took the same look with the new audi line, but it's slightly better looking.

- Toyota Camry: "What?!?" you're saying? Yup, it's a miss in my mind. Sure, it's built like a tank and will likely sell a zillion copies. But see, I remember the first few Camry generations that were nimble, smart, effcient and had fantastic packaging. I kept thinking of the word "losenge" when looking at the new one today. Slightly smaller than an Avalon and bristling with features its owners will never use, it looked huge and water retaining compared to the nearby Fusions and Accords, themselves no lightweights. If this is America's most popular car, have we really gotten this bloated and decadent?

- Garris

the avalon is actually a really great car. i happen to really like the new camry looks. it's slick. it's not the same econo-box that the originals were (i had an 89 wagon for nearly 5 years before someone hit me on 95, loved the car almost as much as my subie).

i do agree that cars are getting features that no one really needs. my fiancee's mother has a newer caddy... it has heated seats in the back. not only that, but it has 2 options to heat them. you can choose to heat just your butt or you can heat your butt and back. and the front has air conditioned seats. i guess when you're old enough to drive a caddy, you need that stuff. :lol: but i just don't see a need for half the features they add to cars these days, most of it is jsut fluff...

Can I just say that I went back to Albany for a weekend about a month ago, and ended up leaving and coming home at midnight on a Saturday night, that's how bad it was. Despite bars being open til 3 or 4am, it just doesn't compare to Providence. It has no destinations, whereas Providence has historic ones, shopping ones, ethnic ones, etc.

Hmm... Either somebody screwed up the Daylight Time switch, or a decision was made that Mountain Time was the new standard for UrbanPlanet.

you have to set your time zone settings. click on the "my controls" link and it's in there somewhere. the time is actually correct once you set that.

"Providence building boom" (with a nice pic) is featured on the home page of urbanplanet.org along with the new look.

Could this be the reason for 1,000 posts in under 2 weeks?

That just went up yesterday, so no it wouldn't account for the rapid post count rise, it's simply more interest from more people.